Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times

Advertisements

I think they have improved the colors or pattern in the formica. My last house I had some that was pretty neutral and I didn't mind it. Of course I prefere granite but it's not a priority for me. I would rather have large bedrooms. Also I don't like the open kitchen. I don't want everyone watching me cook, or walking in and seeing a messy kitchen if I haven't cleaned it up. Just preference of course but I like separate kitchen and family room with walls between them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
I watch the show sometimes but with the people that need all these updates, why not just build your own house if that's what you want.
I don't think it's necessary for someone to have a historical house and try to bring it into 2009 or because the kitchen might have a stove and dishwasher a couple of years old. God forbid.
Sometimes I wonder how they pick these people.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM

The show that really bugs me is Hidden Potential........to update those home is thousands, just go buy another house that has most of what you want...or build

Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 AM

274 posts, read 239,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
Did anyone see the House Hunters episode here in Charlotte? It was centered around the Davis Lake, Eastfield area. It was on last week...I think.
Found it on HGTV's website. It is episode HNT-3013. The house is off the Davis Lake Parkway (you can find it on Polaris). I didn't see the show, but I'm curious as to what they said the square footage of the house is, since Polaris says heated living area is about 1,613 square feet.

I love this show, too, but one of my concerns is that they always tell the last name of the couple. If you're interested in them or their house, all you have to do is look them up online and you can track them (and their house) down very easily.

It always makes me laugh when you have a couple, just two people, and they want this massive house. Case in point is last night's episode with the couple from New York City who moved out to Long Island. Just the two of them and their house is around 3,300 square feet. She has a small room she calls the "hors d'oeuvres" room. Unbelievable. I'm not sure if it was the house they bought, or the second one they looked at, but, even with several thousand square feet, the laundry "area" was too small. She wants a laundry "room," so she can spread out. I thought, take it to another room!

That's my venting for the day. Or this minute. I may be back.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
"nice formica"

Is there such a thing?

Yeah.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:41 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
What amazes me on this show is so many people base everything on the yard and a place for the dogs to run. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but I am going to find a home that my DH and myself like and we will enjoy. The dogs will be second.
When I bought my first home, it had to have fenced yard that was safe and large enough for my dog. It was also important for me to live in a dog friendly neighborhood. Just as important as those people with children wanting a safe neighborhood with good schools for their kids. For some of us, our dogs ARE our children. It's all about priorities. Yours and your DH's are just different. If my dog wasn't welcomed there, I wouldn't be happy there.....regardless of how great everything else was about the house.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
The show that really bugs me is Hidden Potential........to update those home is thousands, just go buy another house that has most of what you want...or build
A lot of times the reason why they do that is because the homes that are already updated, are a lot more than what the people on the show can afford.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
"nice formica"

Is there such a thing?
Yes, I feel that there is such a thing as "nice formica". Some of us don't have the money to buy homes with high end countertops or the money to change our "low class" formica to it! We bought formica for our kitchen, redid the cabinets ourselves, and put on new brushed nickel pulls (along with new brushed nickel faucet and light fixtures), and it looks like a brand new, very nice kitchen. You have to remember that most people are middle class and "nice formica" is all we need. If you notice on House Hunters the lower priced homes and people who are looking in that price range are just fine with formica. It's the higher priced homes and the "snooty" people who think they have to have granite! I love this show, especially the episodes with homes that are in the middle class range.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:09 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
I thought that the buyers on House Hunter have already purchased or are in contract for that home and they just find other homes to show for T.V.
True or not I watch it every night

Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Yes, I feel that there is such a thing as "nice formica". Some of us don't have the money to buy homes with high end countertops or the money to change our "low class" formica to it! We bought formica for our kitchen, redid the cabinets ourselves, and put on new brushed nickel pulls (along with new brushed nickel faucet and light fixtures), and it looks like a brand new, very nice kitchen. You have to remember that most people are middle class and "nice formica" is all we need. If you notice on House Hunters the lower priced homes and people who are looking in that price range are just fine with formica. It's the higher priced homes and the "snooty" people who think they have to have granite! I love this show, especially the episodes with homes that are in the middle class range.
I agree. I loved the formica in my previous home. We have an older home now and the formica is old but we are thinking of replacing it with formica. I didnt even know Granite was such a "necessity" or so it seems, till I saw this show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV