Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 01:24 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Flamingomo, please read the posts before mine before drawing incorrect conclusions. Let me try and explain it to you, though:

I was referring to someone on HH episodes who said laundry facilities close to the kitchen were unsanitary. Since I think laundry facilities close to the kitchen are fine, I said "feel free to call me unsanitary then" (bc mine are actually close to the kitchen, and I like it that way). To that, after the comma, I added "I hate laundry facilities in basements", which yes, is my opinion.

As for the basement, I do not like basements, and keep my point. I see no reason why someone would want to, for example, have guests over in a basement when I suppose there is a whole house above ground to do that. But, as everything I post, this is merely my opinion. On that note, there were some other HGTV shows in which people spent a lot of money doing huge renovations on their basements, and I say all the power to them if they like it!

Answering your question, like I said on a former post (again, if you care to read it) I said I would prefer to have no basement, period. If I absolutely loved a house that had one, instead of having a space I simply detest sitting empty, since I would have paid for it anyway, I would merely use it to store stuff like garden tools and any bulky items, that is all. In this case, it makes perfect sense.

If your basement is great, good for you. I am not criticizing other people, I am stating my opinion only. I hope you realize that, no need to go "haha!"...

Back OT, I just mentioned the basement thing bc it is interesting to notice some people make a big deal of something others (in my case) would rather not have whatsoever. I am sure I also probably make a big deal out of something that might be irrelevant for other people. For example, I absolutely wouldn't buy a house without VERY high ceilings. No amount of granite or ssteel would make up for that. Other people might find that irrelevant, or just detest high ceilings, and I am perfectly fine with that. It is their point of view, they are free to say it. I am not buying them a basement, they are not buying me high ceilings.
Simple as that, everyone is happy.

Again, it is nothing but a cultural difference which I might not understand but I acknowledge and respect, and expect the same courtesy extended to me.
The "haha" was at myself and my basement being nicer than my living room, not at you. I think its funny that my basement has more light than my living room does. Thats all. I don't care if you don't like basements, that is your opinion and I DO respect it, I just need to understand why you think basements in general are gross or always full of mold, because its just not true. I don't think it has anything to with being a "cultural difference" either. I like them, you don't, its just an opinion. You said nothing about what you were storing down there, you just said you would use it for storage and it was moldy. Some people make great game rooms or little pubs in their basements or playrooms for their kids (which is what my basement is mainly for). Its a cool hangout place for teens and adults or yes, sometimes even the man cave (which I also hate the term by the way, why can't I enjoy the space too???) And if there was a flood, I would much rather have it happen to my basement than my first floor.

High ceilings are something you cannot fix unless you tear down the entire top floor of a house or rip the roof off to add them, so that is understandable if you don't want to buy a house without them. Those are not an easy cosmetic fix. I get it. I love them too, but are not a necessity to me. But having no stainless appliances or double sinks, wood floors, etc is just not a deal breaker for me, and I think these HH are ridiculous when they complain about stupid stuff like that.

I guess I mis-read your comma. Haha! (laughing at myself don't be offended). But I don't think laudry on any floor is unsanitary. The dirt is closed up in a washer for god's sake. I just don't like when the washer and dryer are IN the kitchen. Not because its unsanitary, just becasue I think its a stupid place to put it. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Oh, another common place for a washer and dryer - though some HH find it unusual - is the bathroom. In a small house/apartment it is very convenient, probably the most convenient room in the house to do laundry.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:09 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
If I see one more very young couple who are straight out of college with their first real jobs looking at homes at the top of their budget without even adding on the HUGE HOA fees of the home they just picked talking about "we are going to have to gut the kitchen immediately (or bath)" even though it is perfectly nice, looking brand new even, just because it doesn't have granite counter tops and a backsplash, I swear I am going to chuck my wine bottle at the tv.

I hate HH anymore. Watch PV more now, but even that show is starting to show signs of too many people buying homes they truly can't afford because they must have travertine tile, hardwood floors and cute knobs on the cabinets and "oohh, tray ceiling!" UGH!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
I just watch the show and go along for the ride...I'm not paying their bills so to each his own!I really like HHI I find it more interesting especialy when its the Middle East or other places where the culture is so different!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,864 times
Quote:
Oh, another common place for a washer and dryer - though some HH find it unusual - is the bathroom. In a small house/apartment it is very convenient, probably the most convenient room in the house to do laundry.
Bathroom would be perfect! Wish I had space for that...

Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:
This topic caused a flashback for me.

I remember when I first got out of college and thought that if I had my own washer and dryer I would have made it in life.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
In Europe, many old buildings simply do not have any pipes other than the ones for the kitchen sink and the bathroom (sink/shower/toilet), so the most convenient place for w/d hookups is the bathroom, since some people find it odd to place them in the kitchen.
Even in bathrooms, which are usually tiled to the ceiling, the least one extends the lines the better, bc some tiles are hard to find to match the existing ones. Some people just remove and replace them all instead.

Opening up walls and extending pipe lines is not exactly easy when stone walls are a few feet thick, you know.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
HHI Morocco----not my cup of tea. Not for any amount of $$$$. Never!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am not big on basements either.

I just like them to hang the clothes to dry, and I like to do woodworking and projects so a basement is perfect for the messy stuff you do not want in the kitchen....
I hate the man cave thing in a basement, like duh , would I really want to sit on a damp couch and watch TV in a "cave" when I could be in the bright Living Room watching TV with my family.....(that I am away from all day long since I work) why would I want to be in a cave by myself.....
not all basements are damp, and not all of them are finished as "man caves."

Old 08-06-2011, 04:58 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
HHI Morocco----not my cup of tea. Not for any amount of $$$$. Never!
Oh good GAWD....me neither!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV