Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I haven't noticed that. Are they cold air return ducts possibly? Those wouldn't be on the baseboard but higher on the wall near the ceiling, and would be bigger than a regular vent. Ours is located in the ceiling in our hallway.

These seem to be like maybe 1 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet, maybe longer, even 3 feet, right smack in the middle of a wall, like at waist level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
I don't think House Hunters considers themselves a reality show. As we all know...it is somewhat staged. Maybe we should just call it an "reenactment"!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I haven't noticed that. Are they cold air return ducts possibly? Those wouldn't be on the baseboard but higher on the wall near the ceiling, and would be bigger than a regular vent. Ours is located in the ceiling in our hallway.
I just poked around online for pictures, and figured out that those things aren't just vents, but a "wall furnace." I guess because people in CA don't seem to have basements (another thing I don't like) they have these hideous things to heat their house. I think I would have to have the furnace in a crawlspace or closed-off room and have normal (small) heat vents.

Anyway, lots of things on HH make me never, ever want to move to CA.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just poked around online for pictures, and figured out that those things aren't just vents, but a "wall furnace." I guess because people in CA don't seem to have basements (another thing I don't like) they have these hideous things to heat their house. I think I would have to have the furnace in a crawlspace or closed-off room and have normal (small) heat vents.

Anyway, lots of things on HH make me never, ever want to move to CA.
That's interesting. A lot of homes around here don't have basements either, including our house, but the furnace and water heater are in a separate room with the washing machine and dryer. Never seen one like that before.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,259,033 times
We recently moved to PA after living in CA for 35 years, and in CA our furnace was in the hallway in the wall behind a door, and our water heater was in the garage. So we never really had to look at either of them.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM

I've just noticed on House Hunters that a lot of the SoCal homes they look at have those HUGE heaters in the walls, right out in the open.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,758,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've just noticed on House Hunters that a lot of the SoCal homes they look at have those HUGE heaters in the walls, right out in the open.
They are in alot of the homes from the 20's and 30's. The newer homes don't have them. I'd prefer an older home with character than any newer cookie cutter anyway, but I will take what I can get at this point. I'm sure they can be moved or recessed even. People just didn't update the heating system because it was probably too expensive. There are some homes in Los Angeles that do have basements. They are usually the larger older victorian homes. I have seen a few of those. One even had a speakeasy in the basement. So cool.

NOTHING would make me NOT want to live in California.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM

31 posts, read 37,353 times
Ever since I found out about warehouses that stock completely unused appliances that may be 2 years old, I can't see myself ever buying new or worrying about a property that doesn't have top of the line brand new pieces. It seems so much cheaper to just get the home you want and replace those small details yourself if it's that important.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Who likes that show? I can't get enough of it, but it annoys me. Does everyone on the planet have to have an "updated" kitchen with the latest appliances, also "crown molding", and "i can cook here and watch everyone in the living room". To funny.
Does anyone like comfortable anymore? How about one level homes? It kills me when these pregnant women are chugging up the stairs to third floor bedrooms.

How about the people with $5 to their name and expect "the works" when they search?

I'm thinking in 5 years people who expect to see everyone in the house will have to have their homes renovated to put the walls back in when their "open" floor plans become old fashioned.

Don't old people ever go house hunting? Because I can tell you our needs in a home do not mean it has to look like it jumped off the pages of some magazine.

Also, what is this current kick with "government green" wall color? I call it that because in the old days the walls in most old government offices were painted with that drab green color.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Does anyone like comfortable anymore? How about one level homes? It kills me when these pregnant women are chugging up the stairs to third floor bedrooms.

How about the people with $5 to their name and expect "the works" when they search?

I'm thinking in 5 years people who expect to see everyone in the house will have to have their homes renovated to put the walls back in when their "open" floor plans become old fashioned.

Don't old people ever go house hunting? Because I can tell you our needs in a home do not mean it has to look like it jumped off the pages of some magazine.

Also, what is this current kick with "government green" wall color? I call it that because in the old days the walls in most old government offices were painted with that drab green color.

Yes, I agree with you. One level absolutely works for me. I grew up in a house with steps, while visually pretty, you can have it. Don't know how my mother still does it?????

I do not like the 3 and 4 story town homes where each room is on a different floor. No, I don't want to walk up stairs every time I want a snack, I also don't want 5 bathrooms to decorated and clean. I don't want to vacuum steps, or paint 2 story hallways......

I too think when you get older your needs definetely change, and I even see myself not care as much if the house isn't completely up to date, it just isn't that important.

Yes, open concept will adventually go out of style. What is with " I like to cook and talk to my guests" all the time....just how often do these people have company??? They make is sound like the woman is locked up and chained to the kitchen and cannot speak to a soul while she is frying an egg......

yes the green, gray, pale blue, taupe, all with the white trim is getting really tired already.

always a favorite, "I have 250K approved for a loan", but "I want a million dollar home", **cough, cough**, ain't happening......
and i dont want to see neighbors.

newsflash** the neighbors don't want to see you either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV