Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it's been addressed on here before but I have to say it really annoys me when young people want to live just like they did with mom and Dad. They want SS appliances, granite counter tops, latest gadgets, all the room in the world, etc not stopping to think most of us worked our way up to those luxuries.

You cannot not sure should you be able to start off at the very top. Where is the fun of the dream, of moving on up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Hmmm.... I watch HH regularly. I must be getting a glass of water every time during the part of the show where they reveal the income level of the buyers.
They don't reveal it but I'm not dumb. There are plenty of episodes where the wife is a kind. teacher and the husband works at some small local food place. Elem. school teachers in the south start in high $20k to maybe low $30k. It's not hard to figure out a salary when they show the person's job. Especially when they show episodes from places I know a lot about like Texas, Louisiana, and MS.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
YES! This drives me nuts, especially when watching these kinds of shows since the real estate bust. It happens on another unnamed show, where the host/realtor will say "Ok, so you were approved for $250,000, and you have a $20,000 down payment, so your budget is $270,000, right?" And if the rare occasion happens where the buyer says "well no, I'm not comfortable going that high, I want to stay below $250,000", the host/realtor looks at them as if they are from another planet.

Can you imagine????

logic would tell me to stay well below, because other costs always happen, then where is the money comming from???

My favorite was Sandra, this dumbest couple, the wife with the big behind kept saying, oh hunny, I want this house, maybe we can borrow 20 k from my mother, Sandra looked at her and said, your borrowing from the bank, and your mother, No, you cannot afford this house.

what retards.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm sure it's been addressed on here before but I have to say it really annoys me when young people want to live just like they did with mom and Dad. They want SS appliances, granite counter tops, latest gadgets, all the room in the world, etc not stopping to think most of us worked our way up to those luxuries.

You cannot not sure should you be able to start off at the very top. Where is the fun of the dream, of moving on up?
That's because they've been groomed for years to buy the best right off the bat, never mind "making do" with something until you could afford it!

Kids today... (ok, I'm getting old). Expensive phones from the get-go, top of the line computers, TVs, audio equipment, cars... took me years or even decades before I could buy anything not from a thrift store or stopped using borrowed or hand-me-down items. Still haven't bought a brand-new car (yet).

I rented until I was 30. Bought an old row-house and lived in it for 15 years (!!) and then finally bought my "dream" house -- a modest Cape Cod. No stainless steel or granite in sight.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Here is a funny take on HH and picky buyers! Even HGTV posted it on their FB page.

House Hunters: Park Slope - the Mark & Ari 3-Minute sketch show, Ep. 1 - Mark & Ari Comedy - YouTube
This video was hilarious! The shows that get me, when the lady says, "Oh, we can't get this house, the bedroom is yellow!" (you never heard of a can of paint before?) lol..

Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My boyfriend (of 11 years) always comments on HH, "What do these people do? How can they afford that? They're like 25!"

I remind him that they got married. Most people I know who got married ended up with a LARGE sum of money, through wedding gifts, to put a big down payment on a house. We, on the other hand, decided to "shack up" and when we bought our house, we only had a piddly 10% to put down. So when we were 30, we were looking in the 200,000 range. I wryly remind him that If we'd been married we could have been shopping the 300,000 range. We could have had 70-80k to put down (like my sister and several friends did), and therefore we'd have been able to get a more expensive house, but oh well, I've never been one of those girls who issue ultimatums.

You can tell that a lot of those HH young couples came from families where they'd have gotten a very large amount of money through wedding gifts, with close relatives giving at least $1000, and others giving $200-$500 even if they're just co-workers or friends of the parents. I'm not even from a wealthy family, just lower-middle class perhaps. So my examples could be low for a middle-middle or upper-middle class young couple.
Really? Not in my world. We got so much "stuff" we needed a house to fit it in, but very little cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Yes! I know the show you're talking about. It seems like they alway pushed people to spend at the top or over their limit.
Sometimes I think it is because they are never satisfied with anything within their limit. It shows them how much it will cost to get what they want.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
House Hunters Revisited: D - I - V - O - R - C - E

I don't give some of them a year and it's not the ones that disagree on the backsplash colors, either. It's the ones where one wants a castle and the other one wants something affordable.

They should have a show called Starter Castles.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
If you ever want to be in a state of tranquility, watch House Hunters

Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
If you ever want to be in a state of tranquility, watch House Hunters
I watch just to see what I want to have someday...though I can't believe people that young are so picky.
My first apt I moved to when I was 21,I was glad to have heat...

Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I watch just to see what I want to have someday...though I can't believe people that young are so picky.
My first apt I moved to when I was 21,I was glad to have heat...
Yea, it's really interesting how the show engages the viewers into decision making, despite budget and taste differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV