Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
House Hunters International should be divided into two shows: Vacation House Hunters and regular HHI.

You, and others, make some valid points about many of the vacation home buyers especially those who are looking in tropical locations.

It's the full-time residents and the American ex-pats who make the more interesting episodes IMO. A few weeks ago they had a guy who was buying ( a second home) in Italy and his budget was only 65K . He ended up buying a total wreck for ~20K.

(Here's the link: Bruce Hopes to Find a Villa in the Italian Countryside for Less Than $65,000. : House Hunters International : Home & Garden Television).

It was fascinating. What I would really like to see is the place in a year or two from now. I wish they would go back and revisit some of the people who buy major fixer-uppers and see how the projects turn out.
I agree- the rare ones I have seen with locals or expats in other country buying normal properties are interesting. I just wish they would lay off the rich American vacation home thing- we get it, there are a lot of rich people out there living far nicer lifestyles than the rest of us. We don't need it pounded into us on every episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,424 times
Wow...some of this is sounding so sour grapey It's entertainment, pure and simple. I think they show a nice range of different price points. It's not bad to imagine living in and around beautiful settings. In fact, visualizing pleasant things can help make them happen.

"Buy Me", which was mentioned earlier in this thread was a great show and should have won HGTV awards inmo. Very realistic. Sadly it didn't seem to catch on as much as House Hunters and I don't think they are creating new episodes

Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
What I don't like on bang for your buck, is that whent he Real estae person & designer say stupid things like, Oh, this is not what my buyers would want, like, or need. Or most buyers want this, or this isn't child friendly, or no grass here...

My logic would lead me to believe that if you are spending 90 thousand dollars on a back yard reno, some how, I don't think they are planning to sell any time soon.....

and aslo with the in house renos, they are always worried what they think potential buyers want, are they mind readers, clairvoyant??? or something I am not getting....

geez, when I move i don't give a rats arse they buyers want, let them do it themselves, like I had too.
i agree with that, most people dont even plan on selling their home on the show and if they did, there would be buyers, unlike what the realtor says.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Wow...some of this is sounding so sour grapey It's entertainment, pure and simple. I think they show a nice range of different price points. It's not bad to imagine living in and around beautiful settings. In fact, visualizing pleasant things can help make them happen.

"Buy Me", which was mentioned earlier in this thread was a great show and should have won HGTV awards inmo. Very realistic. Sadly it didn't seem to catch on as much as House Hunters and I don't think they are creating new episodes
this is so true and this is why i love to watch the shows where the settings are out of my everyday settings.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac Farm View Post
The international edition can be tiresome. I've seen enough people who are retiring at 35 years of age to the Caymans and complain about the limitations of their 5 million dollar budget. Or the ones buying a second home on Cabo and are whining about the lack of granite counters or that they only have a view of the beach from a couple hundred yards away. Sheesh!
I find this annoying too. It is interesting to see homes in different parts of the world, but I can't even wrap my head around moving to most of them. I always wonder how they are doing it, where they get their money, etc.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
i agree with that, most people dont even plan on selling their home on the show and if they did, there would be buyers, unlike what the realtor says.
everyone has to sell eventually. Maybe not next month, but eventually. There is always something that they say buyers won't like, that I WOULD like, or that wouldn't matter to me. Other times they are right on. Some home owners do strange things.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
You are so right. Even though I prefer the International edition to the US edition, I do agree that many of the rich US retiree ones are tiresome. I often get the impression that their only motivation for doing the show is to see how thick they can lay on the "I'm rich" schtick. As my mama said... it's not nice to be a show-off! Maybe their mamas never told them that (or they forgot).
wow, this reminds me of this one HHI episode where the family was from the UK. the father invented something and used the money to buy a vacation house somewhere. he was SO annoying b/c I swear he was pitching his product for a good chunk of that show! not only showing off how rich he was but how "awesome" his product was (can't even remember what it was).

the vacation homes are beautiful, I just don't like the attitudes of some of those buyers.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM

^missed that one, wish i woulda saw it. great chance for ridicule lol.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Personally I much prefer to see the shows in which people are buying houses where they are actually going to live at, no matter where they are.

Vacation homes do not give you a true sense bc buyers are not even going to spend that much time there in the first place, so they are willing to overlook some things they wouldn't in case they would live there "full-time".

Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,578 times
The most shocking thing by far is seeing the housing prices in some parts of the country and how much people pay for a condo. I would never pay half a million dollars for something that's attached to someone else's property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV