Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,817,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
wow, this reminds me of this one HHI episode where the family was from the UK. the father invented something and used the money to buy a vacation house somewhere. he was SO annoying b/c I swear he was pitching his product for a good chunk of that show! not only showing off how rich he was but how "awesome" his product was (can't even remember what it was).

the vacation homes are beautiful, I just don't like the attitudes of some of those buyers.
it just repeated today. He had invented some sort of plastic covering for something....a teeny covering and I don't know what he said it was for. He didn't bug me as much as his mousy wifey. She was so proper I bet she would hold a fart till she imploded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,614,521 times
^^LOL! aw i missed it again

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,817,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
^^LOL! aw i missed it again

check again for tonight. Usually what comes on in the mornings comes on again that night

Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,170,920 times
I can't get enough of HH, HHI, Property Virgins or My First Place...from the scuzziest dumps to the most ostentatious McMansions. The more entitled the house hunter, the more entertaining, usually. I can imagine HH would make a great drinking game...chug at every mention of granite, stainless steel, man cave, natural light...

Am I the only person in the US who loathes open floor plans? I like a kitchen to be a kitchen & a living room to be a living room! Granite I can take or leave; I do not understand the obsession w/stainless steel at all. I do wish we would see more house hunters who are a-ok with retro pink tiled bathrooms & aren't bothered one way or another about laminate countertops but it is HGTV after all, must encourage renovation since that's where they get lots of ad dollars.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,704,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I find this annoying too. It is interesting to see homes in different parts of the world, but I can't even wrap my head around moving to most of them. I always wonder how they are doing it, where they get their money, etc.
I never get it myself. Two that stand out for me was one about some 20 year old kid with no job that needed some "extra space" away from dad and also a place to entertain friends and store all his motorbikes and cars. He was looking at places in Cali that were nearly $300k.

I have a decent self employed job, no debt, 810 credit score and I can't even get my bank to talk to me for a mortgage for half of that. So I'm lost how a 20 year old unemployed kid can get a $300k mortgage.

Another was an airhead gal that had all these weird jobs like being a model/waitress/magazine writer/etc. that needed a vacation home away in Belize and had a budget of $500k.

Surely this country has to be living beyond it's means, Oh wait it is!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,363,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I never get it myself. Two that stand out for me was one about some 20 year old kid with no job that needed some "extra space" away from dad and also a place to entertain friends and store all his motorbikes and cars. He was looking at places in Cali that were nearly $300k.

I have a decent self employed job, no debt, 810 credit score and I can't even get my bank to talk to me for a mortgage for half of that. So I'm lost how a 20 year old unemployed kid can get a $300k mortgage.

Another was an airhead gal that had all these weird jobs like being a model/waitress/magazine writer/etc. that needed a vacation home away in Belize and had a budget of $500k.

Surely this country has to be living beyond it's means, Oh wait it is!
I think folks like these are either "trust fund babies" or are heavily subsidised by family members. . . ..

Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,821,697 times
Waneroo, do you see now why you can keep your credit score at over 800?!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 AM

18,491 posts, read 31,697,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I can't get enough of HH, HHI, Property Virgins or My First Place...from the scuzziest dumps to the most ostentatious McMansions. The more entitled the house hunter, the more entertaining, usually. I can imagine HH would make a great drinking game...chug at every mention of granite, stainless steel, man cave, natural light...

Am I the only person in the US who loathes open floor plans? I like a kitchen to be a kitchen & a living room to be a living room! Granite I can take or leave; I do not understand the obsession w/stainless steel at all. I do wish we would see more house hunters who are a-ok with retro pink tiled bathrooms & aren't bothered one way or another about laminate countertops but it is HGTV after all, must encourage renovation since that's where they get lots of ad dollars.

No you are not the only person who does not like the open floor plan. I hate it as well. No, I do not want to see anything that even resembles a kitchen, cooking, mess, dishes, whatever....when I am laying on the couch watching TV, or listening to music.

.....and what is with this,....Oh goodie, I can cook and still talk to my guests....shouldn't the cooking be done already....

There is nothing wrong with laminate countertops. Black, white and bisque appliances are perfectly fine ass well, everything depends on the decor. Stainless does not match everything.

Another thing I am noticing is the double oven thing, don't tell me they are pushing for that now????

Like the young girl says, oh goodie, when we have Thanksgiving meal I can do all the cooking with my double oven.....well at least it will get used once. hahahahahahahahhhaha

Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,821,697 times
PP is excellent

I like the open floor plan, but would prefer not to have it, unless it is a small house and it feels cramped somehow. Some houses in HH are enormous so the last thing they need is an open plan to feel spacious.

I do the cooking in advance and have plenty of time for guests when they visit. My kitchen is as spotless as possible but I do not want to see a sink/dishwasher while in the living/dining room.

I love to cook so the double oven is truly a huge plus for me. I use it all the time, not only on Thanksgiving...

Some laminate countertops are really nice and relatively resistant, unless you pound chicken like an ogre (my neighbor pounding chicken made my walls slightly shaky) .

Stainless steel is quite overrated. I really wanted a stainless steel range and when I got it, seriously, no big deal.
I would much rather have a ceramic cooktop and separate double ovens, even if they were any other color, instead.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,891,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
"Buy Me", which was mentioned earlier in this thread was a great show and should have won HGTV awards inmo. Very realistic. Sadly it didn't seem to catch on as much as House Hunters and I don't think they are creating new episodes
I think it might still be in production in Canada. In the mean time, it did well enough in the US that HGTV-United States is now airing "My First Sale" which is essentially a "Buy Me" clone, though in the first 4-5 episodes they haven't quite hit the gold mine of delusional sellers like Mimi or the crazy doll lady yet.

What are folks' favorite episodes? My list would probably be:

1. Mickey Mouse Law School Lady- who comes across as reasonably sane and level-headed about buying a condo in post-Katrina New Orleans. And then you get to the reveal after she moves in....

2. The Berlin condo episode where one of the homes is right across the street from a park with seemingly random bear enclosure

3. Buying a cave of our own in Spain/Portugual

4. The sweet young Hungarian couple who was so excited to find an apartment where the walls weren't made of communist era industrial plastics

5. The super-entitled Tampa personal injury lawyer and his wife, neither of whom had an ounce of taste. And every other sentence was about how 'Jackson!', their toddler age son, would like the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV