Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 09:54 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And give me a break with all the hand-wringing and grieving over Alexis' house explosion. I believe it was Elizabeth who had a house fire a few years back and, miraculously, had it rebuilt in a month.
Can't make soap fans happy. If they had handled the explosion the way it sounds that you wanted them to, then people would complain that it wasn't realistic. They'd be saying "If my house blew up, I'd be devastated!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:45 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
If we were "happy," then we would KNOW something was wrong. The very nature of soaps is to have unresolved plots and situations that entice the viewer to watch the next episode, in hopes that the problems would be resolved (which they aren't, overall--they just create new problems to keep the viewers watching).

If there are no such reasons to be unhappy, unsettled, bothered, etc. then everyone would get their happy endings and the story would be over.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Yes, as long as Dante doesn't tip him off.

Kind of hard to believe that the demise of Mickey Diamond was so fast. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, he's brain dead. Works for me!
This is what I'm talking about! we need some more speed to at least a few more Storylines. I think they needed to get rid of some excess characters.

I am happy Nic's kid has been found. if Britt had been smart, she would have "found" him at Carly's. Instead Elizabeth gets the glory. That cracked me up. All that scheming and angst down the drain.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I am happy Nic's kid has been found. if Britt had been smart, she would have "found" him at Carly's. Instead Elizabeth gets the glory. That cracked me up. All that scheming and angst down the drain.
I think the whole thing was an excuse to place Roger Howarth in a scene with the kid who plays Spencer (I think his last name is Bechtel?), since Howarth has this decades-long reputation (well-earned) for playing scenes well with kids. I know on OLTL they used every possible excuse to put him in stories with small children, and they were usually quite good. I'm still not sold on this girl playing Josslyn, but he even managed to bring out a good performance from her.

Too bad they could not have written things differently and made Dr. O take the job of being Spencer's nanny. THAT would wipe that smirk off his face.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:06 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Yeah, he's a great actor. I will never understand why they made him Franco. That character is just so repellant, even RH has difficulty redeeming him.

I wonder if they will have a Maxie/Franco meeting again since they hooked up before? Hah!

I think a Franco/ Nina pairing would be good, but who knows what TPTB want.

I can't wait for today's show, as I love the interaction between Liz and Britt. You know something is bound to happen between the two. I like their pairing better than Niz or Bric.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:28 AM

I believe the show is just enjoying bounce their "big name" actors off one another. Maura West, Michelle Stafford, and Roger Howarth (all made into stars by other soaps) are all lumped into a story bubble where they can interact (with second-tier stars like William DeVry, Kelly Monaco, and Michael Easton mixed in). I don't blame them for trying to get their money's worth, of course, but I fear they will go overboard in their "celebrity gets" type casting rather than trying to hire the best actor for a role, or neglect to groom new stars on their own.

GH isn't alone in this, of course--Y&R seems to be even more addicted to "stunt casting" than GH is--but GH doesn't have the money that Y&R does. If Y&R and GH are going to have an escalating "arms race" where they pile up celebrity cast members rather than nuclear weapons, Y&R will win because they simply have more money to woo these stars. GH just needs to focus on being good, story-wise rather than trying to rely on casting "gets".

Old 08-05-2014, 03:21 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I think the whole thing was an excuse to place Roger Howarth in a scene with the kid who plays Spencer (I think his last name is Bechtel?), since Howarth has this decades-long reputation (well-earned) for playing scenes well with kids. I know on OLTL they used every possible excuse to put him in stories with small children, and they were usually quite good. I'm still not sold on this girl playing Josslyn, but he even managed to bring out a good performance from her.

Too bad they could not have written things differently and made Dr. O take the job of being Spencer's nanny. THAT would wipe that smirk off his face.
The big difference, in my opinion, is that OLTL had some VERY good child actors on there. I always thought they found some of the best kids for that show.

I bet the actors who play Felix, Brad and Lucas were having a blast filming today's episode. They finally brought up the fact that Lucas was pursuing Brad originally, too. I am really starting to like Felix and Brad, the comedy is great fun to watch! Maybe they'll realize that Lucas is sort of a pompous jerk, and they'll get back together!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 AM

I'm just thankful that someone pointed that Lucas was just recently shot and should have some sort of scar from it. The last time they had him running around shirtless, there wasn't a mark on him, but yesterday he had a "scar" on his shoulder.

Loved the Knots Landing references. I got my screen name from that show! Those were the real DVD cases, too.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Can't make soap fans happy. If they had handled the explosion the way it sounds that you wanted them to, then people would complain that it wasn't realistic. They'd be saying "If my house blew up, I'd be devastated!!!"

1) Who said I'm a soap fan?

2) But that's exactly what people are complaining about now--it's not realistic. What's realistic about shopping around a clip of a bald Alexis emoting for the obligatory high-drama scene for the Emmy voters, then having her be suddenly "cured" with no mention of it again? Or Elizabeth's house being demolished in a fire, only to have been miraculously "rebuilt" in no time.

Look, we don't expect these people to carry house or car keys, knock before they enter a home (unless the idea is to have the one answering the door blurt out something the person knocking shouldn't hear), have at least enough peripheral vision to see someone eavesdropping two feet away or spot them hiding behind that potted plant, own a pet, or be seen climbing the stairs when pregnant without tumbling, but they can at least get off these I-was-sick-and-was-cured storylines. And just how many characters on this show are going to get an organ transplant for cryin' out loud?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:56 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
1) Who said I'm a soap fan?
By virtue of the fact that you're in this thread and have enough knowledge to share these opinions, I can only assume that you're a soap fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV