Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Don't forget union issues. I think those come in to play here as well. I don't think the regular writers of the show would take kindly to scripts being sent in and bypassing the rules they have to go by. And that would also mean the producers would be bombarded by scripts from fans that would take them forever to read.
True, true. And I definitely get the worries that a fan might sue if they even gave a hint of using someone's idea.

(Rats.... so much for any glorious plans of making money off my city-data BBT suggestions.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Fan Fic is fine for fanzines. And sometimes they hit it big. Look at DC Fontana and Star Trek. But for TV, it takes a whole lot more.
Was DC Fontana a fan who submitted a script? I didn't know that! I do remember the story of how David Gerrold submitted the Trouble With Tribbles script, though. Boy things were so much simpler back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,234,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
It is even worse in a foreign language. Since I can't understand what is being said, I'm not really paying attention to the dialogue and the canned laughter sticks out more.
Just a note to remind everyone that Big Bang Theory is filmed before a studio audience. The canned laughter on the Italian show must have been added over the laughter we normally hear. I agree--it is awful.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,494,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
True, true. And I definitely get the worries that a fan might sue if they even gave a hint of using someone's idea.

(Rats.... so much for any glorious plans of making money off my city-data BBT suggestions.....)

Was DC Fontana a fan who submitted a script? I didn't know that! I do remember the story of how David Gerrold submitted the Trouble With Tribbles script, though. Boy things were so much simpler back then.
DC Fontana was able to turn her fanzine stories into a successful series of paperback Star Trek novels. I don't know if she worte TV scripts but I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

Re: the laugh tracks, I agree they are obnoxious but they were worse when they were recordings rather than a live audience. Like the ones in the 50's. Even as a kid watching "I Love Lucy" with my family I could recognize the same guy with the stupid "horse" laugh they used week after week and knew it was fake. He was laughing at something that probably happened years ago on the show or just recorded laughs into a machine. Canned laughter.

A live audience is necessary for the actors and I suppose the producers think it's a good idea for the TV audience to get them in the mood or to show them where the jokes are. They don't need to record the audiences' laughter. What's funny to one person isn't necessarily going to be funny to another so if someone doesn't think the jokes are funny, they won't be watching the show in the first place.

One thing that really drives me up the wall is the talk shows where the audience applauds for every little thing the guest or the host says like it's the most remarkable thing they have ever heard.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM

The thing I don't like is how they try to whip the audience into a frenzy before a show so they'll really guffaw and chuckle and snort. I'd rather hear normal laughter, thank you very much.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:16 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,087,019 times
Has anyone seen this? I didn't see it posted in this thread, but I didn't read back over every single page. I just saw this earlier today.

The Big Bang Theory Flash mob! HD Full Version - YouTube

Everyone except Sheldon took part in it.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Hey Raj has some good dance moves. Also, that girl who plays Bernadette.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM

I saw that! Who knew?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM

It's interesting to watch Melissa Rauch (Bernadette) dancing among the members of the production crew. You really don't realize how short and very animated she is when you see her on the show. On the show she's not my favorite character, but when she's dancing in a crowd she's a real stand out.

Sometimes I wonder how she landed the role of Howard's wife. Was it just because she can imitate Howard's mom's voice? She just seems a little too cute to land that role--I wonder who else was up for it and how they happened to choose her.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM

On the show, my favorite character has evolved to Raj. I get a kick out of his facial expressions and his tone of voice.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,234,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hey Raj has some good dance moves. Also, that girl who plays Bernadette.
A couple of seasons ago, Raj and Bernadette has a fantasy sequence where they both did Bollywood style dancing. It was very well done. This was Raj's fantasy when he had a crush on Bernadette. Very amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV