Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 04:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Recently was in Rome and saw BBT dubbed in Italian! Pretty hilarious, especially with the voices that got assigned. Imagine Sheldon with a much deeper voice--and how "Bazinga!" sounds with an Italian flair.
OH NO! I would pay money to hear Bazinga! In Italian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Bet you could YouTube it.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bet you could YouTube it.
You win that bet! I am sharing here. Bahhzeeingah!

Bazinga!!! (Il primo Bazinga di Sheldon) The Big Bang Theory - YouTube

Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Even in Italian, the laugh track is obnoxious.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
What's funny is I remember Sheldon's voice being much deeper. I wonder i they use different voices fo0r different episodes--or if I was just under the influence of daily chianti and gelato?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,365,455 times
Quote:
I do wonder sometimes why they don't. Why not just go online and let the people who post write a few episodes. You can go to the beach and relax. C'mon, you know you wanna.
Scriptwriters ignore fan fiction that is sent in. The reason is they don't want someone to say the writers stole their ideas and sue them. So any scripts or even ideas that are given to them are thrown away without ever being read by the writing staff. I'd imagine they ignore message board suggestions as well.

So while it is fun to come up with ideas for TV shows, don't expect to see them appear on TV.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,365,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It is even worse in a foreign language. Since I can't understand what is being said, I'm not really paying attention to the dialogue and the canned laughter sticks out more.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Scriptwriters ignore fan fiction that is sent in. The reason is they don't want someone to say the writers stole their ideas and sue them. So any scripts or even ideas that are given to them are thrown away without ever being read by the writing staff. I'd imagine they ignore message board suggestions as well.

So while it is fun to come up with ideas for TV shows, don't expect to see them appear on TV.
Don't forget union issues. I think those come in to play here as well. I don't think the regular writers of the show would take kindly to scripts being sent in and bypassing the rules they have to go by. And that would also mean the producers would be bombarded by scripts from fans that would take them forever to read.

Think of it as a job, your job for example. Would you want someone coming in and taking over and showing you how to do it? That's how the writers might feel.

Fan Fic is fine for fanzines. And sometimes they hit it big. Look at DC Fontana and Star Trek. But for TV, it takes a whole lot more.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No kidding. Why do they use such obnoxious laugh tracks, anyway?

Was there some sort of study done that showed people are more likely to watch a show with an obnoxious laugh track? Because I've never heard anyone say they've heard a pleasant one--tv shows always use obnoxious ones.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,154,081 times
Quote:
Why do they use such obnoxious laugh tracks, anyway?
Laugh tracks are relics from the single camera sit com studio days. In the 1950's the shows were shot with one camera to a set and the scenes would have to be played several times so that the camera could move around to get reaction shots and different angles. With no linear continuity, there could be no studio audience. The laugh track technology had been invented for radio in the late 1940's, and the tv folks simply borrowed it to serve as that missing audience.

Over the years some shows began shooting in front of live studio audiences with multiple cameras. Others were filmed or taped on a closed set, and those latter ones got laugh tracks.

As for the level of how obnoxious the track is, I suspect there is probably a relationship between how lame a show is and how intrusive the laugh track. The less the genuine wit, the more the need to mask the absence of art with an uproar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV