Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:06 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times

Advertisements

Anyone watching the new series?
I am enjoying it although I spend most of the time looking for clues
Great to see Caprica before the attack but also sad knowing how it will end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I bought the direct to dvd release last year and have been waiting for the series with anticipation. The first episode did NOT dissapoint. Watching Zoe trapped inside the cylon body, you have to wonder if the betrayal of the children by the parents began there. And we know where the One True God came from too.

I keep scanning for any of the final five. Some of them would be children of course, but there could be an Anders wandering around.

The view of Caprican society is fascinating, reflecting things which showed up on BSG but in a wider way. And the boy who plays young Adama is quite believeable as the Old Man's beginnings. There was always a connection with the Cylons implied but it seems closer than we guessed.

The dynamics of the story are so strong I'm hoping a lot of BSG fans will try it even if it isn't about spaceships.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I keep scanning for any of the final five. Some of them would be children of course, but there could be an Anders wandering around.
i must have missed something - why would the final 5 be around? i have to admit i glazed over a bit during some of the mythology stuff in the last season of bsg.

so far i'm not that impressed, but i'm going to give it a chance. i like the *idea* of it so far, but i'm finding the execution kind of boring.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I bought the direct to dvd release last year and have been waiting for the series with anticipation. The first episode did NOT dissapoint. Watching Zoe trapped inside the cylon body, you have to wonder if the betrayal of the children by the parents began there. And we know where the One True God came from too.

The view of Caprican society is fascinating, reflecting things which showed up on BSG but in a wider way. And the boy who plays young Adama is quite believeable as the Old Man's beginnings. There was always a connection with the Cylons implied but it seems closer than we guessed.

The dynamics of the story are so strong I'm hoping a lot of BSG fans will try it even if it isn't about spaceships.
Big ship fan here but I do like what I am seeing...I too am always looking for clues, how about Greystone playing that tune on the piano...shades of Starbuck. I will keep watching

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i must have missed something - why would the final 5 be around? i have to admit i glazed over a bit during some of the mythology stuff in the last season of bsg.

so far i'm not that impressed, but i'm going to give it a chance. i like the *idea* of it so far, but i'm finding the execution kind of boring.
I think the showing of how the fall of the colonies was started by a young girl is spot on spectacular!
Did you think that the boyfriend's Mom at the memorial looked alot like Tory, one of the final five? Did someone create her to look like her? Hummmm...the mind can wander

Old 02-02-2010, 02:25 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I had zero intention of watching it, but somehow it's a bit better than I expected.

On the age thing Olmos, the actor, looks to have been about 57 when BSG started. I don't think looking twelve years younger than 69 is that big a leap as Caprica seems a bit more advanced than us.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:19 AM

Yes they do take some license with time but overall I think it is a great look at the colonies. A good example of the ripple effect. If I can just quit taking notes..

Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I was hesitant to watch Battlestar, I mean a female Starbuck? Come on. But I got hooked and think this was the best drama on television. I am however, trying to get into Caprica. The premise is great, but the overall feel of the show, is ... meh. The characters seem forced, the plot is awful. I do like the production values, Caprica City seems familiar but different. And I want one of those tv wall things, and a robot servant.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Yes my own personal serge.....
I like the foldy computer papers!
I agree, you just do not get better than Kara Thrace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0oErSGxvWQ

Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
We just watched the 'Caprica' DVD last and and without giving out any spoilers for those who have not seen it... all I can say is, I already see a plot-hole big enough to swallow a 16-wheeler.

Caprica supposedly takes place "58 years before the fall" which I assume means the Cylon attack on Caprica that starts off the Battlestar Galactica series.

On the Caprica DVD, the future Admiral Adama is 11 years old, according to his father Joseph.

That means the Commander Adama shown at the start of BSG is supposed to be 69 years old???????

Come on now, seriously, IMHO no way. Mid fifties, yes. Maybe stretch a point to say late fifties. But 69 or 70 years old when the series starts? Heck no!

The generational/chronological math just doesn't work here.

Now if they'd said "48 years before", I might just barely buy it. But that would allow only 8 years for the Cylons to be invented, rise up against mankind, be defeated, and then come back 40 years later (which is the setting of the start of BSG, that the Cylons had not been heard from for 40 years).

With a plothole that big to start with, I have definite reservations about how the tv series Caprica will unfold.

Also, IMO other than the first 5-10 minutes I thought the plot of Caprica was utterly predictable. No surprises at all except for the insight into Joe's legal career at that point.
Exactly how long was a year on Caprica? Same as Earth (our Earth)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV