Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times

Advertisements

Pants on the ground - Pants on the ground!!!! Woot!!!

The judges do seem mean this year. I like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
It's just entertainment folks. Panel not mean. Some just can't sing (myself included) however they seem to have this desire to be on TV. AI has to put forth some sort of attention retaining entertainment value in this selection process.

There are many who can sing but don't get that golden ticket and are crushed however they aren't teased by the Panel. It's those who are sent through to make us laugh that are treated as such, even though that some don't realize they have no talent.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
I agree - they are edgier and madder. I think Paula was the sweetener that kept them from being that way. Whether or not you liked her, she added something that kept it from being just mean. Kara was really off her rocker that first night. And then did you notice Simon kept leaving? Truth is -- and all humans are like this -- once you quit a job, even if you have to stay and finish your time, you are already out of there. This is not going to be as good as the early seasons. I can already tell. Although I found it interesting how kind he was to some of the singers. I liked that girl from Vonroe, Tennessee. But I'm not sure she will be able to make that head-spinning change. "I get to fly on an aero plane!" Whew. Shades of Susan Boyle. I hope someone puts a little buffer around her until she gets her feet.

That being said, the "brutal" auditions, the criticisms, the rudeness, making fun of them - all that stuff is for the purpose of toughening them up. Look at what happens during the regular part of the show. They get up and sing, and then in front of family, friends, and a few million other people, are roundly criticized and evaluated on everything from the vocals to stage presence to their look. The next day, they are evaluated and discussed ad nauseum in everything from this forum to the 50 or so other forums out there. Notice how gracious the top 5 are. How they take it in, shift some things, stand for other things they believe in. The further they go the better they are at handling the biting side of celebrity. It's a process.

That is why I love this show. I love looking at the first audition and then looking at their last performance, or their "come back" performance. Look at Carrie Underwood's first performance, and then watch her in the "I told you so" video with Randy Travis. She just soars. He's busting with pride watching her. And THAT brings tears to my eyes. The ones who have something, give it their best, allow themselves to be polished, and then win big. I LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
the American Idol 'catch phrase' for the year.

"I get to fly on a AEROPLANE"

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I agree.
I saw the exact same phenomenon in the French version of AI, I can tell you I saw quite a few guys who were convinced they were the next idol but just couldn't sing!
Well this is what I'm talking about with the screening... I understand they "have to screen", but my POINT is that any idiot screener worth their weight in butter would know that there's no way in Hades that these people are going to make it to Hollywood, so obviously they are being let through in an attempt to make "good television" and recapture some of the infamous train-wrecks from seasons past....

KNOWING that these people are basically being let in as a joke of sorts, and knowing that the JUDGES are aware that the screeners let them through in the name of "good television", cheapens it for me.

IOW the faux indignation that the judges show is basically an act and we aren't really even witnessing a true audition, but more a staged confrontation....

That's my problem with these rounds.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I hate Randy.

I thought Atlanta was decent last night, and have the judges gotten meaner, cause I ahvented watched since Fantasia won.

I really like the guitar girl, the girl from Vonroe TN, and Skibooby. I think the first two have chances to go far.
I liked those three as well.... Guitar girl had one of those, "Didn't expect that singing voice to come out of her after hearing her speak" things going on....

Skeeboskee? or whatever? The judges have him pegged. If he gets serious he could be VERY good IMO....

Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
I think the judges are mean because they are tired. Same old thing every year. Idiots come in and they sit there in that hot room all day arguing with the judges. Id get moody too. Who knows how long they actually sit in that room. How long does it take to audition x amount of people. Must be exhausting.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
the American Idol 'catch phrase' for the year.

"I get to fly on a AEROPLANE"
LOL! What was last night? Hillbilly Idol? Between Ellie May and that total goober that looked like he had the fake "Bubba Teeth", I about lost it laughing. I guess people are still inbreeding in them thar hills even in the 21st century!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Ellen tweeted about being at the Hollywood taping 4 days ago. (I wonder what the producers thought about that!) So they are full on into production on the eliminations. On all these reality shows, I'd love to see what the lead time is for the filming. And I was thinking - if the bad ones that we saw were so bad... how bad were the ones that didn't even make it to the panel? Can you IMAGINE being one of the pre-screeners? Do they just mainline ibuprofen all day long? Do they just line them up and say - "sing the scales" and then summarily dismiss them by the dozens?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
LOL! What was last night? Hillbilly Idol? Between Ellie May and that total goober that looked like he had the fake "Bubba Teeth", I about lost it laughing. I guess people are still inbreeding in them thar hills even in the 21st century!
This kind of comment makes me incredibly sad... that some people feel the need to laugh about others physical appearance.

That being said... I only caught about 30 minutes of last nights Idol, I only caught Ellie Mae and a few others, mostly the bad singers. I kept switching the channel when the bad singers come on - its just too painful to watch, well, that and makes me sad. I feel bad I may have missed a few of the better auditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV