Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,984,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Really all in all, Tyler has another 40 to 50 thousand people within 5 -7 miles of the city Limits. They post offfice reported the area with a Tyler post office address has about 130,000 or more population.

This is the best way of putting it I think...even a town like Jacksonville is only a 15 - 20 minute drive from the city limits of Tyler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,198 times
Default Moving to Tyler Versus Surrounding Suburbs

Tyler is NOT the place you want to choose to send your kids to school. TISD has a terrible reputation. I worked as a substitute teacher for one year and I refused to go back. All my experiences were terrible. It's not the quality school district it was when I attended. You should consider Whitehouse, Lindale, or Bullard. By the way, Bullard straddles the Smith/Cherokee county lines, but their school is in Cherokee County. I have subbed at Whitehouse and Chapel Hill for several years. The discipline is great, the teachers are terrific and the administration is very supportive. I understand the situation is the same at Bullard.

Live outside Tyler if you chose to move here. I have lived in and around Tyler for about 60 years and am now living in the country about five miles from Tyler. I love it!

Reta

Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,097,250 times
Or one of the 4 private schools - thru grade 12. 3 in Tyler 1 very close by in Bullard.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM

595 posts, read 2,725,643 times
We live in Lindale and love it! It's right on I20 and gets us to Dallas quick.....we go to Dallas about 1 time every 2 weeks. Lindale schools are top-rated by the new TEA ratings that just came out on Friday.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 AM

8 posts, read 31,974 times
Thank you guys.. Well my hubbys trip is planned out. He will have only 1 day to house hunt. Oh my.. But my best friend is going to help since she is in Dallas. So Lidale is good for kids and school? My sone wont even start Kindergarden for another year. So we have a bit of time to look into that or worry about it. Another reason I think we will rent until we figure those things out.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Looking for a house to rent is maybe harder than looking for an apartment. Do you already have a source of information on houses or apartments? Apartments I would have several for you to consider, houses, well, not so easy. However, you have probably "googled" for houses in Tyler. I just did, and found rental.com with a good representation of houses and apartments. I could steer you clear of some of the apartments. Ask, if you need more information. Good Luck !!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM

With the young kids I would rather look for a house to rent.
BUt ya never know. if there are amazing apartments like we have here sometimes you get better deals on apartments. So any ideas would be appreciated of course
What about specific areas to look for a home in? ARe some better then others? like north side verses south side and so on? I know my husband mentioned one zip code with a meidian household income of $55k. which is good.
If I am going to live in an apartment it would have to be like a resort to deal with peoples noise and all that comes with apartment living
dont get me wrong I am nothin close to a snob. Just with kids you have to have certian things.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Your resort apartment living is a new development, year old, off the West Loop called The Cascades. Million dollar plus homes on the northside of the golf fairway and on the southside of the fairway very nice condo apartments two story units from eff - to 3 or 4 bedroom with one to two car garages, a few on the golf course - 40 buildings in all - like something you would see in a resort, European Spa, huge upscale Country Club other extras but not "extra" in your rent, which I think are resonable for what your are getting, new etc and something you would see only in a large metro area. just google the Cascades of Texas, actually the rentals are called The Mansions at the Cascades, even have floor plans a more info.the best for renting, other very nice aprt too but not all that much less in cost. You would have to screen for children allowed -

Now for houses, Zip Code 75701 inside the loop - Central/South Central or 75703 South outside the loop best areas IN the city of Tyler to buy are rent, imo. Do not look elsewhere IN the city limits, imo. no offense. 75701 runs from not so nice to million dollar houses - low end because some 60 years old and not updated to current standards, but many are - again, your renting now? Still a great idea. Again, not putting down anyone who can afford on lower priced homes, or I would have to put myself down. As they say now, "it is what it is"

The smaller towns listed - I have no clue about rentals. I guess rental.com for any house you are looking for. Still maybe look up rental companies in the phone book - somehow, before you get here, don't know if the companies are open of Sat. surely not Sunday. Again, I guess internet is best for rental house hunting. Few realtors deal with rentals, as you would expect. Hope this helps a little.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,529,710 times
How is Cherokee ISD viewed?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM

that is Awesome Mark thank you!
I will print all of this out. My hubby will most likly meet with a realtor, we have been talking to when he gets there. They have sent rentals to me. Because in the future they will hope we will buy from them. or I would assume that is good business
I used to run a brokerage and a mortgage center so im very familiar with everything realtors do and get Right now we own our home.
BUt since we will be moving to a place we dont know very well. I think our best bet would be to rent for a bit until we know where we would want to stay for a while.
Just my first idea for now.
Again thnk you for the great information. I appreciate it!
Our next thing is looking into all of the school systems and ratings (which I have read about in this site) a bit worried...Sad but schools are so going down hill everywhere now. If we can afford private school we will go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler