Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 PM

15 posts, read 181,694 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the response Ariadne22 I must have overlapped your response... sorry for the duplicate question. I honestly cannot remember what the length of the NY claim was but I only collected on it from November to the 1st week of March. I know for sure that I never began a EUC claim (I didn't even know that existed until this last year!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 PM

25,590 posts, read 56,250,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
How can he get a new claim if he is working part time right now for the new employer?

EUC rules require new earnings be evaluated for eligibility for a new claim quarterly. Admittedly, a new claim based solely on those earnings doesn't make sense since OP is still employed.

I'd think that his current UE benefits he's receiving, needs to be evaluated and possibly re-calculated for weekly deductions based on what he is earning with his part time job.

OP should have been reporting his earnings right along when he claimed but, yes, PA would be reviewing that, as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 PM

398 posts, read 1,362,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishnmash View Post
Thanks for the response Ariadne22 I must have overlapped your response... sorry for the duplicate question. I honestly cannot remember what the length of the NY claim was but I only collected on it from November to the 1st week of March. I know for sure that I never began a EUC claim (I didn't even know that existed until this last year!).
Nov 2007 to March 2008 is 5 months... and regular NY unemployment benefits last 26 weeks, around 6 months.

If you did not start collecting on an EUC extension tier, that claim is finished.

Quote:
Hello,
...I called the service center and they corrected the system so the right dates were available. I filed my biweekly claim and received a confirmation email that my claims were accepted however I have yet to receive the direct deposit of the payment (I usually receive it by midnight Tuesday as I am living on the west coast). When I look online it does not show the payments in the benefit payment information.
Based on a past experience for a NY claim, when your online account is "updated", that may result in an extra day or two for benefits to fully process.

It doesn't hurt to call and check up on your claim though.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 AM

So I spoke to the PA call center and they temporarily released my EUC claim on the basis that I have not worked long enough in WA to file a claim, however they say that in October that will be re-evaluated (not a bye period or anything) because then I would have worked long enough in WA to technically apply for unemployment (if I was actually unemployed in that state). So basically they are trying to tell me that that in October they want to try and switch me to an unemployment claim in WA even though I have never been unemployed in WA state. This supposedly is "the law" for EUC benefits. The further explanation I received was that I am "underemployed" in WA and that WA is reponsible for paying the remainder of my unemployment. In October to stay on EUC I must file a claim to WA and be denied in order to continue receive the benefits?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So I spoke to the PA call center and they temporarily released my EUC claim on the basis that I have not worked long enough in WA to file a claim, however they say that in October that will be re-evaluated (not a bye period or anything) because then I would have worked long enough in WA to technically apply for unemployment (if I was actually unemployed in that state). So basically they are trying to tell me that that in October they want to try and switch me to an unemployment claim in WA even though I have never been unemployed in WA state. This supposedly is "the law" for EUC benefits. The further explanation I received was that I am "underemployed" in WA and that WA is reponsible for paying the remainder of my unemployment. In October to stay on EUC I must file a claim to WA and be denied in order to continue receive the benefits?
So it appears. But, PA will do another redetermination in October for you first, at which time they will tell you to apply in WA before allowing you to revert to EUC from the PA claim. Let PA take the initiative on this. If you initiate a claim in October before PA tells you to, it may confuse matters. The states do tend to play tag when there are earnings in multiple states.

The 'underemployment' reasoning for WA state becoming responsible for paying your benefits is curious.

Please keep us posted in October. I would really appreciate knowing the final result, here.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-21-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 PM

So I couldn't take waiting for whatever was going to happen in October to happen and called WA state unemployment. Apparently even though they are not a state that considers underemployment eligible for benefits (there is nothing mentioned on their website about this and growing up in WA I never heard of anyone with a part-time job getting benefits from their CURRENT employer) I may be "eligible" for WA unemployment. That is that come October 2nd if I have accumulated 680 hours during my base year at my part-time job I will likely be eligible for unemployment compensation from WA state. Fortunately the only way I will reach 680 hours by then would be if my employer started giving me more than 40 hours a week (full-time) which would solve my unemployment problem completely.

However, if I had reached those 680 hours (for example I had started working part-time earlier) and barring me being disqualified for WA unemployment for another reason, I would switch to WA unemployment. Based on my hours and wages I would only qualify to receive the minimum benefit ($138 or $163 per week depending on if I get the additional $25/wk for filing between Mar 2011 and Nov 2011) and then approximately 2/3 of my part-time wages (gross earnings plus $5 times 0.75) would be subtracted from that leaving me with technically a negative unemployment benefit.

So needless to say it is really unfortunate that this is the way people are rewarded for following the rules and trying to find whatever employment they can find. I could sit on my rear end and pretend to search and be better off than actually going to work and trying to move up the ladder.

Needless to say I will run into the same situation come Jan 2nd when they evaluate the next base period (and my hours are over 680) if I don't find work by then. Not much different than I expected since even if I hadn't worked part-time I would be phased out of EUC by February anyway (if I didn't lose my benefits during my bye week in early December).

Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM

So interesting update on this situation that raises a whole bunch of new questions.

As predicted I filed my biweekly claim last week and was only paid for 1 week of it (the week before the October reassessment to see if I was eligible for a WA state claim). I contacted PA to notify them that I still did not have enough hours to be eligible for WA unemployment and was informed that I was eligible because I now would have to file a combined wage claim between both states and use "unused" hours from PA to supplement my WA hours. Not only this but I now need to predate the claim back to July (when both PA and WA agreed that I was not eligible) and owe PA the balance they have paid me since July! I spoke to WA and they said this was true and that they will have to not only use a combined wage claim but also an alternate base year as I was not employed in WA during the traditional base year if they start the claim in July. They could not tell me on the phone what my new weekly benefit will be (they still need to get wages from PA) but based on what they are saying my weekly benefit will go decrease approx. $100-150/week and I will owe a difference for the entirety of 1 waiting week plus the remaining 11 weeks that received from PA (I am estimating approximately 1200-1800 depending on my benefit from WA). The WA respresentative claimed that I would have a good likelihood of receiving a waiver for this balance as "it happens all the time".

Anyone have any experience with this? In particular I am trying to figure out how they calculate the wages from a combined wage claim? The estimates she gave me don't make sense based on the base year I would be looking at. The alternate base year would include a quarter with wages from my current part-time job in WA, a quarter where I was completely unemployed and 2 quarters where I was employed in PA (at about 10 times the wages of the quarter in WA). WA uses the 2 highest quarters, which would be the 2 in PA, but this would make my benefit much higher than her estimate. Using the quarter from WA with one from PA would make the estimate much lower. Do they have to use a quarter from each state for it to be a "combined wage" or do they still use the 2 highest quarters independent of where they were earned? Also if anyone has had any experience with the waiver process their insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM

The mind boggles reading this.

On the waiver issue, you could try asking PA how they handle this. Best thing would be to wait for a 'bill' and go from there. Oftentimes when hardship is cited - especially under these circumstances which resulted in a no-fault overpayment - they can waive it.

I am not familiar with combined claim issues so can't respond to your other questions.

Very much appreciate the update, however. More information for the databank.

Keep us posted on the outcome. Good luck.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-13-2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
Hello,
I'm having trouble with my unemployment claim. I've been collecting benefits for 3 months, I filed my bi-weekly claims and would have the money direct deposited a couple days later. I did the same this time thinking I would have my money, I did my job search every week and spoke to my previous employer. He said he didn't appeal anything. I can't contact the UC service center because they're closed on Wednesday in PA , the day I'm supposed to be paid. I haven't worked, so I don't have any unclaimed money. I haven't received a letter stating that I'm no longer eligible. I even went to the post office to see if the letter may have been left behind. I even spoke with my bank to see if there was a glitch, I'm frustrated and worried that I've been cut off without an explanation. Does anybody have any insight, or know anything or anyone who's gone through or going through this. It sucks not knowing what to do or who to talk to about this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
James

Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM

13,056 posts, read 20,713,120 times
Can you give us some time reference for this period? Are we talking a month or a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment