Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM

51 posts, read 207,004 times

Advertisements

What happens if your Year is up at the end of March and you just started working in the beginning of March?
1. Will you be allowed to get the retro is your year expired, but you are currently working?

2. Will you be allowed to submit via the EDD website?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBK9811 View Post
What happens if your Year is up at the end of March and you just started working in the beginning of March?
1. Will you be allowed to get the retro is your year expired, but you are currently working?

2. Will you be allowed to submit via the EDD website?

Thanks in advance
Until this bill becomes a law we have no idea what will happen. The bill the Senate will be voting on will pay retro EUC from December but the House could change that unfortunately.

As far as the websites I would imagine you would get instructions on how to proceed if this is passed. We really don't know how this will turn out or if it will even be passed so it's very premature to be worrying about these things until we know what happens.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Until this bill becomes a law we have no idea what will happen. The bill the Senate will be voting on will pay retro EUC from December but the House could change that unfortunately.

As far as the websites I would imagine you would get instructions on how to proceed if this is passed. We really don't know how this will turn out or if it will even be passed so it's very premature to be worrying about these things until we know what happens.

Agreed,

Thank you so much I will keep reading and listening for any news.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
CA posts updates on the extensions on its website - and has done for the past four-five months, warning the program was ending December 28, 2013, and then later posting updates on legislation.
Quote:
Congressional Activities to Potentially Reauthorize Federal Extension Benefits

Plans to extend federal unemployment extension benefits may be up for another vote in late March 2014. Although Senate members have reached some preliminary agreements to extend the federal extensions, there have been no final decisions made.

The EDD is closely monitoring the situation in Washington D.C. for any developments regarding federal extension benefits and is preparing to restart the federal extension program as quickly as possible, if approved. For right now, no further Congressional action has been taken. So there is no need to contact us about restarting a federal extension at this time. We strongly encourage our customers to continue monitoring this page and our Facebook and Twitter pages for any further developments.
You should check the EDD website regularly, here:

New Developments on Federal Unemployment Extensions and Benefit Cuts

Generally, CA will tell you NOT to call - but will, instead, have instructions on its website for next steps for claimants should legislation pass.

It would be wonderful for everyone if Congress could do this just once - and extend to the end of this year. The states which have not allowed claiming during this lapse will be in a huge mess should extensions be passed retro as they always were previously. I suspect there is some lobbying from the state DOL's on this issue. Frankly, I'm very surprised CA cutoff claiming. That state should not have done so by virtue of the numbers of its claimants - and its really screwed up computer system. Or, perhaps, it did so BECAUSE of its screwed up computer system. During other lapses, iirc, CA did allow claiming.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-15-2014 at 07:22 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Quote:
Agreed,

Ariadne is the most well informed poster as far as unemployment goes IMO so the advice she gives is always spot on when it comes to what to do in regards to your situation and state.

I'd also keep checking this thread. We've all been very good with keeping up what's going on up to date as much as possible, posting links to articles with new information and we've actually all been getting along extremely well even though we all have our differences when it comes to politics. It's funny how when we are all in the same boat it really doesn't matter who is democrat, republican, libertarian, etc. It's refreshing actually....

Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 PM

350 posts, read 506,091 times
So, do you think EUC will pass (say Yay/Nay with reasons)?

Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
CA posts updates on the extensions on its website - and has done for the past four-five months, warning the program was ending December 28, 2013, and then later posting updates on legislation.You should check the EDD website regularly, here:

New Developments on Federal Unemployment Extensions and Benefit Cuts

Generally, CA will tell you NOT to call - but will, instead, have instructions on its website for next steps for claimants should legislation pass.

It would be wonderful for everyone if Congress could do this just once - and extend to the end of this year. The states which have not allowed claiming during this lapse will be in a huge mess should extensions be passed retro as they always were previously. I suspect there is some lobbying from the state DOL's on this issue. Frankly, I'm very surprised CA cutoff claiming. That state should not have done so by virtue of the numbers of its claimants - and its really screwed up computer system. Or, perhaps, it did so BECAUSE of its screwed up computer system. During other lapses, iirc, CA did allow claiming.

Thank you Ariadne, I do appreciate it.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 PM

48 posts, read 66,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanglow View Post
I like John Boehner and think he is a good person. Hopefully he would allow the Senate unemployment bill to come up for a vote on the floor.

From wikipedia.org:-
“He grew up in modest circumstances with his eleven siblings in a two-bedroom house in Cincinnati. He started working at his family's bar business at age 8. Part of his duties at the bar was to scrub the floor. He earned his B.A. in business administration becoming the first person in his family to attend college, taking seven years to complete the degree as he held several jobs to pay for his education.

As Speaker, he is still the leader of the House Republicans. However, by tradition, he normally does not take part in debate, although he has the right to do so, and almost never votes from the floor.”

March 24: The Senate vote on EUC should be complete by the end of the week of March 24th. If Mitch McConnell insists on unlimited amendments, that could cause some delay. However, I don’t think that would be the case, as the Senate has announced they have a deal, and have accepted bipartisan input from both sides.

Apr1: First on the agenda on March 24th are matters pertaining to Ukraine. Harry Reid has alerted Senators they may work Saturday and Sunday (March 29-30), if necessary. The Senate bill S2148 may go to the House on April 1.

Apr 10: The House is not in session from April 11 to April 27 (from House.gov), so there is some urgency to have the bill passed before they leave on Apr 10. The House could reject the bill, or modify parts of the bill, or propose their own bill. The bill is expected to struggle in the House because of the Republicans' stance on extending unemployment, the retroactive payments issue, and currently not satisfying the jobs creation requirement by John Boehner. The struggle could continue to April 10th.

I believe John Boehner would do the right thing, and the unemployment extension would pass. The Republicans would not want to be seen as not helping the unemployed in an election year. Nancy Pelosi had said there are enough votes in the House to pass EUC, if it is brought to the floor. Democratic Strategists believe the bill would pass. If it does pass, there is a good chance the President could sign it on or around April 10. It would be several weeks later to actually start receiving benefits because the Unemployment offices are understaffed, and have issues with out of date computers. In Texas, I was told as soon as the President signs the bill (if it is passed), the Texas Workforce Commission would send out letters to claimants.

Of course, we should acknowledge the other viewpoint that the bill is uncertain to pass in the House. In the interim try your best to secure employment soon. Remember you have to save for retirement. The situation now is a glimpse into how your future retirement would be, if you are financially strapped then.
Thank you for your informative post.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 PM

148 posts, read 267,073 times
I read an article today that said the people who were already in an extension ( meaning those who were in one of the tiers before dec. 28 would get retro pay. anyone who ran out of the regular claim after January would not get retro benefits

Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 PM

314 posts, read 697,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
I read an article today that said the people who were already in an extension ( meaning those who were in one of the tiers before dec. 28 would get retro pay. anyone who ran out of the regular claim after January would not get retro benefits
I hope that is not the case. I doubt it. Ran out lg regular benefits the first week of february
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment