Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,928 times

Advertisements

Everyone needs to go read how the DOL comes up with the unemployed numbers as it is very revealing and not very truthful. As I have mentioned before-the real unemployed numbers come off the U-6 reporting.
How the Government Measures Unemployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM

462 posts, read 989,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Went and checked out the AOL forum-people are fed up and angry and they are letting out there feelings. Although, seemed like a friendlier crowd than the one I got mired in this weekend. Liked the Happy Meal comment! I will make some calls today and email those people on the list. I can come up with an ending for your story SMS and post it on Newsvine as well as using it for email fodder. I hesitate to write the WH-have done it in the past many times but now that they are collecting info on people that email them-I will stay away. Not that I'm already on some list-I am sure I am-guess my paranoia ia now out for all to see...what can I say?
Yes, go ahead and finish it off, then post it on Newsvine, send it to anyone and everyone.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
Yes, go ahead and finish it off, then post it on Newsvine, send it to anyone and everyone.
Will do. I will post a link once it is up.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Consumer confidence unexpectedly falls in Sept. - AOL Money & Finance

NEW YORK -Americans' worries about job security flared up in September, causing a widely watched barometer of consumer confidence to dip unexpectedly and raising more concern about the upcoming holiday shopping season.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM

461 posts, read 945,036 times
Default Email I received from SAXBY CHAMBLIS

Dear Ms. Mullis:

Thank you for contacting me regarding extending Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. It is good to hear from you.

UI benefits provide temporary income to eligible workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own, as determined by individual states. In Georgia, eligibility is determined based on past wages, reason for job separation, and job search requirements. Currently, an individual can receive UI benefits for a maximum of 26 weeks, with a maximum benefit in Georgia of $320 per week. During periods of high unemployment, Extended Benefits are available to workers who have exhausted regular UI benefits. The decision to offer Extended Benefits is up to individual states and typically provides up to 13 additional weeks of benefits, totaling 39 weeks.

H.R. 2642, the "Supplemental Appropriations Act for 2008," passed the Senate with my support and was signed into law by the President (P.L. 110-252) on June 30, 2008. Among other things, P.L. 110-252 included an additional 13 weeks of UI benefits in all states beyond the current 26 week maximum, for a total of 39 weeks.

In addition, H.R. 6867, the "Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008," passed the Senate and was signed into law by the President (P.L. 110-449) on November 21, 2008. This extends UI benefits by seven weeks for workers whose benefits have run out, and by thirteen weeks for workers in states with jobless rates higher than six percent.

I understand your concerns with the current job market and unemployment rates. Should additional legislation concerning UI benefits come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughtful comments in mind.

What is there to keep in mind? This man knows Georgia and knows he should vote YES! Sounds to me he is on the fence with this one.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM

Here is the re-worked article. Let me know if you would like to add anything and or change anything with it.

We are male, female, young and old. We are married, single, raising two children alone. We are grandparents, recent college graduates and of all races, religions and political affiliations. We are educated and have high school diploma's, vocational school certificates, Associates, Bachelors and Masters degree's. We are the person sitting next to you at church, a next door neighbor, your best friend, the homeless woman you pass on the street without a glance, the man you see in line at the grocery store, the person crying while all of their belongings are being tossed out in the street. We are not lazy, shiftless or worthless. We are the by product of a bad economy and WE ARE THE FACE OF THE UNEMPLOYED!In part due to the tanked economy, there are several online forums dealing with unemployment issues,. I decided to visit a few, and ask that people share their stories with me. There are a lot of misconceptions about the unemployed. My goal is to put those misconceptions to rest, and give the unemployed a face. What you will find below are some of the stories and comments that were shared with me.

"I'm not a home owner with a mortgage I couldn't afford. I don't have stocks
I'm just a hard working little guy when the world fell apart I went down with it"

"I am tired of selling my belongings for extra cash and barely making it"
"I have moved twice in the last two years and now I have no place to go at this time. Why now are we going through this. I am fifty-three years old thought I had done what I was supposed to do in order to secure my retirement and now I do not have the money to see tomorrow!"

"I have been a single mom for 20 years and worked every day of my life since I was 14. My 25 year career in the mortgage industry was blown to heck with this economic crisis (that really started a year before anyone else had a clue!) and I lost two jobs to company closings"
"I've already given up my dream car, dream home and most of my furniture because it wouldn't fit into the smaller home I moved to. I am now going back to school to get a degree so I can "reinvent" myself and make myself "marketable" again."

"I saw a family sleeping in a van in the Wal-Mart parking lot and took them out to lunch earlier today. Sat down and talked to the mom. She can't get food-stamps because she doesn't have a physical address. She lost her apt because her UI tier 2 ran out in April. She can't find a job. Her two kids are with her in the van. I told her she can use my address, and I would give her the mail. I'm trying to get my old boss to hire her on."

"I've put myself through an Associates while unemployed and starting on my bachelors & RN in the fall. This baby makes #4, so we've felt the sting of this bad. Lost my job due to having baby #3 in '07, fell 1 month short of qualifying for FMLA because he came early so they replaced me. Had a 6 year career in staffing & recruiting prior to the last job"

"I used to enjoy grocery shopping, until today. The cashier was scanning my purchases when she suddenly stopped. In a voice loud enough for all to hear she said "You can't purchase liquor with food stamps" I saw her roll her eyes at the woman in line behind me. If she had asked me, I would have told her that the cheap bottle of wine was a hostess gift for my neighbor who understands what my family is going through, and invites us to dinner once a week. The cashiers intent was to embarrass me, and she achieved her goal. I am unemployed, I receive food stamps, and I am ashamed."

"I am almost 61 years old. I lost my job when the company I worked for "downsized". They terminated the 3 oldest employees. In a few short years I will collect SSI, and a small pension. Who wants to hire me? I am not a good investment."

Last week, the the House of Representatives took quick action and a first step in assisting the unemployed with passage of the House measure, H.R. 3548. The Bill passed overwhelmingly by a vote of 331 to 83 and reflects strong bipartisan support for the unemployed struggling to cope with the hardships of just trying to survive in today's economy. The House's vote is a critical first step in moving the unemployment extension through Congress in time to help the 400,000 who will or who have already lost their unemployment benefits this month and the estimated 1.5 million who run out of benefits by year end. It is now in the Senates hands to either pass the Bill as it is or to improve on the measure, as in the companion Bill, S.1699, put forth by Senator Reed of RI.
These unemployment benefits provide basic support to the millions who have lost their job through no fault of their own. The funds these people receive are critical in establishing a lifeline and allow them to survive in today's jobless economy. Furthermore, the dollars they receive are immediately turned backed into the economy and assist in creating an upward trend and healing in a ravaged economy. As the Senate ponders whether to provide an another extension of unemployment benefits, the faces of the unemployed hope that they keep them in mind and move this legislation forward. It isn't a want anymore, it is a NEED!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaskye07 View Post
Dear Ms. Mullis:

Thank you for contacting me regarding extending Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. It is good to hear from you.

UI benefits provide temporary income to eligible workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own, as determined by individual states. In Georgia, eligibility is determined based on past wages, reason for job separation, and job search requirements. Currently, an individual can receive UI benefits for a maximum of 26 weeks, with a maximum benefit in Georgia of $320 per week. During periods of high unemployment, Extended Benefits are available to workers who have exhausted regular UI benefits. The decision to offer Extended Benefits is up to individual states and typically provides up to 13 additional weeks of benefits, totaling 39 weeks.

H.R. 2642, the "Supplemental Appropriations Act for 2008," passed the Senate with my support and was signed into law by the President (P.L. 110-252) on June 30, 2008. Among other things, P.L. 110-252 included an additional 13 weeks of UI benefits in all states beyond the current 26 week maximum, for a total of 39 weeks.

In addition, H.R. 6867, the "Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008," passed the Senate and was signed into law by the President (P.L. 110-449) on November 21, 2008. This extends UI benefits by seven weeks for workers whose benefits have run out, and by thirteen weeks for workers in states with jobless rates higher than six percent.

I understand your concerns with the current job market and unemployment rates. Should additional legislation concerning UI benefits come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughtful comments in mind.

What is there to keep in mind? This man knows Georgia and knows he should vote YES! Sounds to me he is on the fence with this one.
This just shows how out of touch our elected rep's are with Main Street and with what is actually going on in our jobless economy. Get a clue. He needs to be voted out next election!!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Article is up on Newsvine-here is the link. I can still make changes, so if you have any, let me know and I will update the article.
Newsvine - Faces of the Unemployed

Last edited by flyfishva; 09-29-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
This just shows how out of touch our elected rep's are with Main Street and with what is actually going on in our jobless economy. Get a clue. He needs to be voted out next election!!
Saxby Chambliss actually skipped the Senate’s vote on the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008, he was busy campaigning and giving a speech on unemployment!!!!! Wow!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Article is up on Newsvine-here is the link. I can still make changes, so if you have any, let m eknow and I will update the article.
Newsvine - Faces of the Unemployed
Thanks Fly....good job. I hit a brick wall with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment