Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:32 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,155 times

Advertisements

Try Wal-Mart, they usually like older greeters (at least the ones I have seen). They use some younger greeters too, but the older ones are usually used at the door with younger ones either working alongside them or at the cashiers. The only problem I see with the 50 + year old ex senior manager is that most retail stores want people who are not...overqualified. I know, I've applied to numerous retail stores in this area and was turned down by all of them b/c having a Bachelor's degree made me "overqualified" and they wanted someone who would stay around for the long haul.

If these guys are really desperate, they can erase most of their qualifications from their resumes. Personally, I find it to be dishonest and insulting, but then again that's how many people in my predicament are getting jobs. They are hiding their PhD's, Master's, and even their Bachelor degrees in order to get a job. They are deleting qualifications that may appear threatening to the employer in terms of losing them when the economy comes back into swing. If what they want is a job, and they don't have a lot of pride or they don't mind eliminating their former status, then have them keep the bare bones without the fancy titles. Either that, or find some way to convince the employer that these people are willing to work there for a long amount of time without quitting or opening up their own businesses a few months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:35 PM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times
Default The most honest reply so far

It shows that executives and senior managers who are out of work have a harder time getting back into the work world than someone with a high school diploma only. A dull minded clerical worker who is laid off her $12 an hour data entry clerk job will have a much easier time getting a new job than the $100K ex senior manager. Makes you want a career as clerical assistant. If you can enter data all day you will be marketable, but if you are a Senior Operations Director and get laid off you may end up homeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Try Wal-Mart, they usually like older greeters (at least the ones I have seen). They use some younger greeters too, but the older ones are usually used at the door with younger ones either working alongside them or at the cashiers. The only problem I see with the 50 + year old ex senior manager is that most retail stores want people who are not...overqualified. I know, I've applied to numerous retail stores in this area and was turned down by all of them b/c having a Bachelor's degree made me "overqualified" and they wanted someone who would stay around for the long haul.

If these guys are really desperate, they can erase most of their qualifications from their resumes. Personally, I find it to be dishonest and insulting, but then again that's how many people in my predicament are getting jobs. They are hiding their PhD's, Master's, and even their Bachelor degrees in order to get a job. They are deleting qualifications that may appear threatening to the employer in terms of losing them when the economy comes back into swing. If what they want is a job, and they don't have a lot of pride or they don't mind eliminating their former status, then have them keep the bare bones without the fancy titles. Either that, or find some way to convince the employer that these people are willing to work there for a long amount of time without quitting or opening up their own businesses a few months later.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Anyone making $100K+ a year* should have more than enough savings to last them through at least a year if not two or three of unemployment. Then they can tap into their IRA and 401K money. If they don't, they've been living WAY too large.

*The exception would be those in the really high COL areas such as NYC, Boston, LA, and San Franciso. But then again "executives and senior managers" in those areas make a lot more than $100K. A LOT more.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Anyone making $100K+ a year* should have more than enough savings to last them through at least a year if not two or three of unemployment. Then they can tap into their IRA and 401K money. If they don't, they've been living WAY too large.

*The exception would be those in the really high COL areas such as NYC, Boston, LA, and San Franciso. But then again "executives and senior managers" in those areas make a lot more than $100K. A LOT more.

That's the one thing we can agree on. When I saw that guy delivering pizza who used to a 6 figure salary I just felt he was a LOSER who had no money management skills.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's the one thing we can agree on. When I saw that guy delivering pizza who used to a 6 figure salary I just felt he was a LOSER who had no money management skills.
His or money management skills is less of an issue, for this discussion. He would have an easier time getting at job at age 55 or 60 if he could claim semi retirement, at age 40-50 that would be a hard sell.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
Personally I think it is kind of ignorant when companies worry about you sticking around long term - "oh they're just gonna quit when they get better job" NEWS flash - teens do this too - this is not just something older workers do. And why do companies worry so much about how long you are gonna be around - they are willing to dump you without warning... and when we quit, we still have to give them 2 weeks notice or be given a bad reference. They don't give us 2 weeks notice to find a new job.

One of my pet peeves here....

Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Personally I think it is kind of ignorant when companies worry about you sticking around long term - "oh they're just gonna quit when they get better job" NEWS flash - teens do this too - this is not just something older workers do. And why do companies worry so much about how long you are gonna be around - they are willing to dump you without warning... and when we quit, we still have to give them 2 weeks notice or be given a bad reference. They don't give us 2 weeks notice to find a new job.

One of my pet peeves here....
Most successful companies have retention programs so employees will stick around for the long term. They actually spend millions of dollars a year with these retention programs. Training a new employee is very expensive compared to the money spent on keeping the same employees. I don't think it's ignorant at all when companies are concern about employees sticking around. Did I misunderstand your post? The rest of it is spot on.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM

975 posts, read 1,755,590 times
You know what? The hiring process is all bull****.

I've literally hired over 10,000 people so I have some experience with the process. Here's the truth. Young, old, white, black, male, female, interviews great, interviews poorly, etc, etc., unless you know the person, as an employer you never know what you're getting.

One of the most stupid inept jerks I ever hired had a Harvard MBA. Turns out he didn't know jack about running a business in the real world where it's kill or be killed sometimes. I've hired older people who ran circles around the kids and had 10x the engery of most the employees. And I've hired kids (25 year olds) who were brilliant problem solvers.

I kid you not, I had a 400 employee company and I finally just told HR one day to hire people they liked and see how it worked out. Nothing really changed by doing that.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This from the guy who couldn't pay his rent.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Most successful companies have retention programs so employees will stick around for the long term. They actually spend millions of dollars a year with these retention programs. Training a new employee is very expensive compared to the money spent on keeping the same employees. I don't think it's ignorant at all when companies are concern about employees sticking around. Did I misunderstand your post? The rest of it is spot on.
Agreed. And whether people want to believe it or not, many retail companies even have retention programs. They might not offer the five figure annual bonuses that other companies offer, but they do have small perks and bonuses to keep valuable employees around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment