Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 PM

600 posts, read 1,075,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
I never said the dates couldn't be moved around -- but delaying one week in September to an adjournment in the first week of October is hardly the same as meeting through December as you previously stated, is it?
Yes, in typical fashion, you don't come out and directly say what you mean, you imply it, then when called on it, all of a sudden whatever you implied by your statement isn't really what you meant.

The point being, they can move the dates and there's nothing set in stone that says they won't.

I'm still curious as to what your agenda is here? I mean, you post links to articles where you pick and choose what you'll quote. Then when it's pointed out to you that in the exact same article, another Senator said something completely different than what you chose out of the article, then all of a sudden that Senator "doesn't mean anything" or "hasn't been involved". It's almost as if the opinion of someone agrees with you, it's legit. If it doesn't then "oh, they aren't important" blah blah blah.

You link to OpEds that have a grain of fact in them, then try to pass the whole thing off as fact (and 99% of the time it's negative) and then when called on it, go on the defensive. I don't know, maybe you're just a glass is half empty kind of person. I'm not. So I'll choose to ignore you from now on so that I don't waste 5 hours of my evening trying to make sure folks here aren't misguided by half truths. Hopefully they'll look deeper into things and not take them at face value, simply because your name is behind it.

Last edited by shamrox311; 06-21-2010 at 09:44 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM

377 posts, read 590,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Actually, the Senate is not voting on the bill that the House already approved -- it is voting on the bill that the Senate itself changed.

And therein lies the problem: delivering a different, amended version of the bill back to the House -- the Senate's own version -- and expecting the House to accept it.
You know what diorgirl, I already asked you to quit with the bold but you can't seem to communicate without talking down to people. This will be my last post to you.

I understand how the government works. The House passed a bill. The senate changed it. Therefore, the house now has to revote instead of Obama signing it right away. That's why I said she might not be happy about revoting on something. If someone understood how government worked, they would read my post and realize I was accurate.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 PM

305 posts, read 472,494 times
Hi folks - I haven't backread but are there any updates to extending the monthly benefits? Shocked that the June 5th deadline wasn't extended to July 5th and quite frankly, we're almost on July 5th. What happens when July 5th passes and nothing has been done in a month? And if you haven't used EB yet and you expire on a Tier other than Tier 4 because Congress didn't extend benefits, can you utilize EB (living in Mass)?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM

162 posts, read 313,316 times
Anyone that thinks the extensions won't be passed aren't using commonsense they aren't arguing over benefits. This is nothing more than political grandstanding. Anyone trying to imply that it's more than that should stay out of the thread.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddeyho View Post
Hi folks - I haven't backread but are there any updates to extending the monthly benefits? Shocked that the June 5th deadline wasn't extended to July 5th and quite frankly, we're almost on July 5th. What happens when July 5th passes and nothing has been done in a month? And if you haven't used EB yet and you expire on a Tier other than Tier 4 because Congress didn't extend benefits, can you utilize EB (living in Mass)?

Thanks.
Unfortunately, as of today, nothing has been done in regards to passing any legislation to extend benefits.

Not sure how Mass works. If they do 50/50 financing of SEB, then you should be okay. If they rely for 100% funding by the Feds, then you're out of luck.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM

377 posts, read 590,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
... they aren't arguing over benefits. This is nothing more than political grandstanding.
I agree. They both want the benefits. They just don't want to let the other guy be the hero.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,863,955 times
It doesn't look like MA has EB unless it's federally funded - sorry.

No EB is Available for the following states:
AR, FL, HI, IA, LA, MD, MS, NE, ND, OK, SD, UT, VI and WY
The following states have a permanent EB trigger, individuals may collect EB even if Congress does not reauthorize full federal funding of the EB program:
AK, CT, KS, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NC, OR, RI, VT and WA
The following states do not have a permanent EB trigger but qualify for EB since the IUR threshold is met:
CA, ID, NV, PA and WI
EB ends on 6-5-10 in the following states, there will be no phase out period:
AL, CO. DE, IN, KY, MO, OH, SC, TN, TX and WV
EB ends on 6-12-10 in the following states, there will be no phase out period:
AZ, DC, GA, IL, ME and VA
EB ends on 6-26-10 in MA, there will be no phase out period.
**This information was last updated June 1, 2010
**For additional and updated information, visit your state’s unemployment insurance page.

For anyone that needs the referenced link it's - http://unemployedworkers.org/sites/u...ask_the_expert

I have heard however that Ca is now also a state that no longer offers EB unless it's federally funded

Last edited by Opyelie; 06-21-2010 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: to add the link

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It doesn't look like MA has EB unless it's federally funded - sorry.

No EB is Available for the following states:
AR, FL, HI, IA, LA, MD, MS, NE, ND, OK, SD, UT, VI and WY
The following states have a permanent EB trigger, individuals may collect EB even if Congress does not reauthorize full federal funding of the EB program:

AK, CT, KS, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NC, OR, RI, VT and WA
The following states do not have a permanent EB trigger but qualify for EB since the IUR threshold is met:

CA, ID, NV, PA and WI
EB ends on 6-5-10 in the following states, there will be no phase out period:

AL, CO. DE, IN, KY, MO, OH, SC, TN, TX and WV
EB ends on 6-12-10 in the following states, there will be no phase out period:

AZ, DC, GA, IL, ME and VA
EB ends on 6-26-10 in MA, there will be no phase out period.
**This information was last updated June 1, 2010
**For additional and updated information, visit your state’s unemployment insurance page.
FYI, the Ga one is wrong. The last date to file for SEB was 6/5. My last payment was that following Wednesday (when they make deposits to bank accounts). I've not received the payment after and I won't receive this one either.....until Congress decides to extend the dates.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,863,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
FYI, the Ga one is wrong. The last date to file for SEB was 6/5. My last payment was that following Wednesday (when they make deposits to bank accounts). I've not received the payment after and I won't receive this one either.....until Congress decides to extend the dates.
As always, it's best to check your relevant state DOL/UE website as it varies so much state to state.

This was the only site I've found that actually lists they way each state handles EB currently, but of course, it's a moving target.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 PM

117 posts, read 218,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
Your main credible source for information is a search engine, lots of reading, and paying attention to how the government works. Your other credible source is second-hand analysis by people who are doing the same thing you are. If your only source is an anonymous poster on the internet you are at a disadvantage.

I'm not here to shut anyone down. But when I ask to be treated civily and I'm not, I ignore the person. It's called having boundaries and showing respect.
Thanks for the tip; As I already know this, I am also aware that the posters here that have been having this debate are Also Right Wing Agenda Slanted.

Guess that is my reason for appreciating Credible Sources!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment