Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times

Advertisements

Hopefully I'm not repeating threads - this may have been covered somewhere -

I've had two experiences with this with my father, who died in late 2009 - the second time was just a few hours ago. Not sure how to explain it really.

The first time was a couple of weeks after he died, and I was eating lunch by myself in a restaurant - it was so weird, it was like this very sudden knowledge that he was there, just as strong as if he had walked into the room and were standing next to me. It faded away after a few minutes.

Then today I was eating again (lol) - I'd just gone through the Wendy's drive through and was driving home, and I got the same exact feeling. It was really weird, as if he were in the passenger seat. The funny thing is that when he was alive he REALLY loved Wendy's. It faded away, came back for a bit and faded away again. I remembered that he loved Wendy's after it faded away.

I guess this all could be explained away as a thought of my father just popped into my head these two times, but I've thought of him many times and this just feels different...it's really like a sense of the person being there.

Same thing also happened when my dog died and that actually happened many times over a month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,303 times
I've had that happen frequently, right down to being able to smell my best friend's favorite soap.

I find it comforting.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Short answer -- nope. Not ever.

I'm not doubting that it happens, but not to me.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I've had times where I will smell a lavender fragrance my Grandmother wore and it's just fleeting. There and gone in less than a minute. I also had a few sightings of my Grandmother after she passed where I saw her standing on the sidewalk across the street. If I blinked, her image disappeared. That happened twice. The night she died, before I knew she died, I saw her image like half there, like transparent sitting on the bed. There and gone really fast. A half hour later my sister called to say she had died.

This one has happened several times.. I would smell cigarette smoke in the stairway area, or through the living room like someone walked past me with a cigarette. No one smokes in my house. My Dad was always smoking when he was alive, and that is one of the contributing factors in his death.
There was one night when I was out walking around dusk. I used to go for my 2+ hour walks all the time. A black truck went by really slow and the image in the rearview mirror looked exactly like my Dad! With the cigarette dangling from his lips like he always did. Never saw that again. The truck mirror image happened about 3 weeks after he died. I have no idea if he ever owned a black truck.

I also sense my kitties that have crossed over in the room with me at night. It's still freaky when I can feel a cat get up on the bed, walk up to me and lay down. When I reach out to pet the cat, there is no one there. My 2 cats are never in the room when this happens. In a way it's comforting, and in a way it's still scary.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
I lost my wife several years ago...

Often, I can sense her near me and comforting me.

Frequently, I look up and almost expect to see her standing near me.

Truly, a comforting feeling.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
The night after my husband died, I felt an index finger in the palm of my hand. I closed on it, held it for a moment, and then it was gone.

After my father died, I was driving home after spending a week with my mom. I noticed the redbud trees blooming on the side of the road -- Dad and I had a shared affinity and a little joke about redbuds -- and when I did, I felt a surreal surge of calm and peace that spread from my toes up to my scalp.

While I want to feel both of those sensations again, I know I don't have to. That was their way of telling me they are still with me, but in a different form.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I also sense my kitties that have crossed over in the room with me at night. It's still freaky when I can feel a cat get up on the bed, walk up to me and lay down. When I reach out to pet the cat, there is no one there. My 2 cats are never in the room when this happens.
This has happened to me too. We had a free flow waterbed when my cat died. I always knew when he jumped on the bed because the mattress would move. I sleep on my side and she always slept in the crook of my ankles at the front of my leg, or in the crook of my knees in the back of my leg. She would sleep on top of the blanket so when I went to turn over at night, the blanket would be weighed down by her weight and I wouldn't be able to turn over without moving her or making her move.

Well, starting a couple of weeks after she disappeared (and never returned, so we presumed she was dead), I would feel her jump on the bed at night, I would feel her snuggle up next to my legs, or I would try to turn over and feel the blanket weighed down. It was so real that at first I was excited, thinking she'd found her way home (I had been everywhere looking for her). I'd hurry and reach up and turn on the light (trying not to move too much so I didn't disturb her), and when I turned on the light, there was nothing there. This happened many, many, many, many times over a period of maybe three years after she disappeared. We did eventually get another cat and that cat did jump on the bed at night, but she never slept against my legs like the cat that disappeared did (she prefers to sleep on my pillow).

I have owned several cats and this only happened with this one particular cat.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
It has happened to me, usually within a few years after the loved one has died. Then, it disappears--almost like they have moved on and are not attached to the earth any more. Almost all of my experiences have been in the sleep-but-not-sleep state, when I am drifting upward from deep sleep to wakefulness.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
My mom died in 2011. Really for a year and a half before she died she had several brushes with death, then would get better. But when she would have a brush with death she would say things that didn't make sense (to us). One time she was in the hospital and they didn't expect her to make it through the night. She was not responsive. When she did wake up she was asking talking about seeing bugs on the ceiling and dogs in the room. Don't know what to make of that. Lack of oxygen to her brain? Maybe; I don't know. Then a couple of months later she was bad again, in the hospital again, and she had a big window in her hospital room. My husband and I were there. She was weak but was talking normally and seemed to have normal mentation, talking about normal things. And then she looked out of the window and said "What is that big white ball I see?" We looked and told her we didn't see a big white ball. That same day she looked out the window and said "Oh, look that that red elk!" There was no red elk. During that same hospital stay she looked out into the hallway from her room and said "Well there's the back porch where ______ and ______ (my brother and his wife) used to live." She was looking out of the room and into a nurse break room off of the nursing station. No explanation for why she would have seen that.

I asked her doctor about it and he said "Oh, that just happens to older folks. They get confused." She actually wasn't that much older than HIM (I wanted to tell him that, but didn't), but if you knew my mom, her mind was 100%. She was sharp as a tack and had no cognitive decline her whole life, right up to the time of her death. She was not senile, her mind wasn't slipping. Her body wasn't doing very well, but her mind was fine. So I didn't buy it. I have heard of ICU psychosis, but I honestly don't believe that is was was going on with my mom because other than those odd references, she was totally there and with it.

Okay, then several months later I was visiting her at her house and she commented "I have been seeing people in my dreams, people I haven't seen in YEARS, people I had even forgotten about, people who died a long time ago." Hmmmm.

Then a couple of months before she died we were talking and she told me she was sometimes seeing her mom (who died in 1971). I asked what she meant, when she had seen her mom, and she said "I've seen her since I've been here." (she was in a facility getting physical therapy after a hospital stay).

I think for about a year and a half she was a little in both worlds and sometimes could see the other side. That's the only explanation I have for it. If she had been demented otherwise I would chalk it up to that, but she absolutely wasn't. Sheesh - her mind was better than mine! My dad died six months before she did and she told me exactly where to find everything in the house. She told me exactly where his wedding ring was (he didn't always wear it). She wanted me to get it from the house so they could put it on him before his funeral. She had other things in the house that she told me where they were and what she wanted me to do with them. When she was in the hospital one time they took her wedding ring off and gave it to me to keep. Later I had forgotten it and she asked for her ring. I told her I didn't have it and she said "They gave it to you in the hospital and you put it inside a pocket in your purse." I looked, and it was there. She knew everything going on in the family, babies that were being born, people who were sick, and always asked the status of things. So her mind was good. Three days before she died she said "Is there a baby yet?" (first great grandson was overdue). The baby was on his way into the world as she was on her way out. The mom was in labor when she died and the baby was born the next day.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
These stories are lovely! I love to hear about this stuff.

Luzianne, my grandmother is 100 and is much like your mom - very sharp - but she's seeing things too. Her body is failing her but her mind is not, except for these visions and some confusion. She is always seeing nuns (she's Catholic), children, and loved ones who have passed on - she gets confused when this happens at night and wakes my mother up to tell her they need to go see my grandfather (who died in 1971). My mother is a skeptic so is very upset about all of this, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal