Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,623 times

Advertisements

I believe there is truth to The Secret, but right actions must accompany the thoughts. What are your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
What is the law of attraction?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Was a law that encompassed "Cosmic ordering". Asking the "Universe" for your desires and being open to receive them. I am all for positive action and thought but it's just that-Action by the person that usually brings efforts in life, And usually results take time and come in stages. Wishing to be rich and adored would take effort with no guarantee. Esp if the person skips the "Financially stable" part that is usually required short of hitting a mega millions jackpot.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Karma?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Law of attraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,623 times
I'm surprised more people do not believe in this.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
"like attracts like"??????

I think it's just as valid as the other side of the coin.....

"opposites attract"

Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
It's definitely interesting. I suppose it can be true to some extent, like the phrases "misery loves company" or "birds of a feather flock together." I think if one is too negative then they will interpret many things negatively or as "bad luck/Karma." Similarly, when one is too positive they can be delusional and unrealistic at times.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I'm surprised more people do not believe in this.
The older I get the more I believe in it. Too many events in my life have proved to me that I'd better watch how I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I'll do my best here. The LOA says that the way you think about things will determine how events play out in your life and that it's always better to think about the things you do want in your life, rather than thinking about what you don't want. If you think about the things you do want, says the LOA, then your vibrational will raise to attract them to you. It's sort of like when things are going well in your life, then more good things come to you. But when you're negative and thinking about what you don't want, then that will also come to you. I just had this proven to me--I read a book last summer called The Sociopath Next Door and I also participated in several threads on the same subject on here. I was on the lookout for symptoms of sociopathy in my dates and next thing you know I met a really nice man. So I thought. Yeah, you guessed it. I was so determined to not get screwed that it's exactly what played out.

Part of participating in the LOA is a regular practice of gratitude, and if you do nothing else but this you'll be way happier for it. I know that when I started this my life got much better and I actually weathered the sociopath episode pretty well and with my dignity intact. It makes sense too--why should good things happen to you if you're just going to ignore them?

A really good book on the subject is Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting by Lynn Grabhorn and it's old enough you can easily find it in the library. The best part of this practice is that it's free. As for the movie The Secret, it's an okay explanation but I think it's a little too new age hooey dooey for my tastes. The LOA is really quite simple and you can start it from what I just explained and go from there and there's really no reason to dress it up because you can't go wrong as long as you don't forget to work on it. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose with this. Even if you totally believe it's a load of crap you can do this and not feel like a fool, because who would know? Except those who start to wonder why you just got a whole lot happier!

Old 06-29-2013, 01:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
If I remember correctly Wallace Wattles wrote the original book about The Law of Attraction. I don't recall what the specific title is though but it was written in the late 1800's - early 1900's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal