Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:26 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think the key to pyramids' design is that they're the most stable kind of building. Wide bottom, narrow top. Not like tall, straight walls.
Yup. Plus the shape allows quite naturally for the use of dirt ramps in construction, which means they can be scaled up huge primarily by adding more material and manpower, without needing specialized innovations in construction techniques.

While there's plenty that's unknown about many individual pyramids, pyramids in general are not mysterious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 02:29 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Greeks determined the earth is round, and not by using some fancy equipment. If the "sacred geometry" you're referencing exists (what is it? references?) and somehow demonstrates the earth is round, how do you know the Greeks didn't get their mathematics from the Egyptians? They certainly cribbed many of their gods from the Egyptians.
What's your point? I don't really care how the Greeks knew. Who's talking about them? The Egyptians were before them. The experts that are full of #### say otherwise. The same that ones that ate a big glass of shut the hell up when Gobekli Tepe was found.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:39 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The sacred geometry behind it indicates that they knew the earth was round. This was supposedly not possible in the Bronze Age according to the "experts".
What experts are those? Anyone can see the earth is round just by looking at the moon. (Establishing that it's more-or-less spherical, as opposed to a disc or similar, is a little trickier.)

There are many clues to the true shape of the Earth that require nothing more specialized than naked-eye observation, some travel, and a clever mind. Here's a blog post that gives a very readable, simple overview:
Who Discovered The Earth is Round? – Starts With A Bang

Of this list, many would have been accessible to ancient people:
Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat | SmarterThanThat

We have a few specific historical people who get credit for establishing the nature of the globe, but more realistically the discoveries were almost certainly made multiple times in multiple places, but not propagated enough to "stick" in wider consciousness or the historical record, given the nature of record-keeping and communication in earlier times.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:51 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
What's your point? I don't really care how the Greeks knew. Who's talking about them? The Egyptians were before them. The experts that are full of #### say otherwise. The same that ones that ate a big glass of shut the hell up when Gobekli Tepe was found.
Not that you probably care to hear the answer, but the point is (as Frostnip points out) if the Egyptians knew the earth is round, there's no huge mystery there since the Greeks were able to figure this out with no more sophisticated equipment than the Egyptians had.

Aristotle figured out the earth must be round because he noticed that the position of the North Star changes when you travel from north to south or vice versa. No tech needed, no fancy figuring, just observation of the sky.

Gobekli Tepe has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
The sacred geometry behind it indicates that they knew the earth was round. This was supposedly not possible in the Bronze Age according to the "experts".
I don't know what "sacred geometry" means but there is no mystery either to the dimensions. They had some very deliberate and design dimensions based on some standardized design principles. Remember Egypt is full of various pyramids, some with glaring mistakes that I have seen in person, so by the time of the Great Pyramids of Giza they were proficient and systematic in the design. They were also quite sophisticated, with a good grasp of mathematical concepts and design and measurement tools.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:25 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,935 times
Quote:
The Egyptians knew far more than that.

Encoded within the great pyramid are the dimensions of the Earth itself, on a scale defined by its motion:

The base perimeter of the great pyramid times 43,200 gives you the equatorial circumference of the Earth.
The height of the great pyramid times 43,200 gives you the polar radius of the Earth.

So, what is the significance of 43,200?

43,200 is 72 times 600 (72 is the heartbeat of Precession, the wobble in Earth's axis - one degree of change every 72 years).

Using special numbers like these in architecture is what is meant by Sacred Geometry.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:56 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
I'm so tired of this stuff. Between ancient pyramid hype, that stupid "mystery of oak island" nonsense show, and all the rest, it seems like we're on the verge of sliding into another dark age full of superstition and fact-free belief systems. Except this time around there's no excuse for it since all the information about these "mysteries" is readily available online, if people just bother to look up reasonably accurate and believable sources.

But, no - they won't do that. I know several educated and otherwise reasonably intelligent people (their political beliefs aside) in my network of friends who buy into every bit of conspiracy lunacy that comes alone. Aliens building the pyramids, aliens in the bible, crusaders and Egyptians in America thousands of years ago, heaven only knows what on Oak Island, lost cities of Atlantis, time travel in the Philadelphia Experiment, the world once having actual stereotypical magic - fireballs and all, wizards, and even dragons, cars with magic engines that run only on water, magic carburetors that got 100+ miles per gallon, and so on... And it's all utter rubbish.

Their "sources" are nothing but ignorant drivel from the internet or sensationalized TV shows that intentionally obfuscate well-known facts to create mysteries. Their claims are utterly groundless, and when confronted with actual facts, they claim it's "all part of the conspiracy" or defend their lunacy with insane reasoning such as since we don't know EXACTLY how old the pyramids are - to the year - or EXACTLY every detail of their construction, than clearly it's logical to believe they were built by aliens. Same idea with their crackpot method of "disproving" carbon dating. Since you can't tell me EXACTLY how old this human relic is - to the day - with carbon dating, it's acceptable to believe it's from millions of years ago and was created by citizens of Atlantis before magic left the world and the ice age happened, or some crap.

I'm so tired of this groundless, dark-age level of reasoning. There are very few actual mysteries remotely worth mentioning in human history, and an inability to detail fully every single aspect of a "mystery" does not mean you can throw out all the facts already known and just fill them in with sensational, conspiracy-theory drivel from the History Channel or the internet.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,935 times
Personally I do not believe it was aliens.
I believe that ancient man was more advanced than we give him credit for.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm so tired of this stuff. Between ancient pyramid hype, that stupid "mystery of oak island" nonsense show, and all the rest, it seems like we're on the verge of sliding into another dark age full of superstition and fact-free belief systems.
If by "dark ages" you mean "the Middle Ages" (the era between the collapse of the Roman Empire and the Renaissance), then they weren't actually all that dark and superstitious, nor were they dominated by "fact-free belief systems."

We have certainly learned more in the time since and corrected some of their errors (as future generations will correct ours), but to represent the Middle Ages as a time of ignorance and superstition is ... well, ignorant.

The Medieval Period was a Dark Age? Don't be Ignorant. | Intellectual Takeout

There was nothing dark about the Dark Ages: The Medieval Origins of Science | Benjamin Vallejo - Academia.edu

Medieval history: Why are the Middle Ages often characterized as dark or less civilized?

https://home.isi.org/not-so-dark-ages

From History: 6 Reasons the Dark Ages weren’t so Dark | The Core Blog

The

And if the academic stuff is too dry, try this:

5 Ridiculous Myths You Probably Believe About the Dark Ages

Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm so tired of this stuff. Between ancient pyramid hype, that stupid "mystery of oak island" nonsense show, and all the rest, it seems like we're on the verge of sliding into another dark age full of superstition and fact-free belief systems. Except this time around there's no excuse for it since all the information about these "mysteries" is readily available online, if people just bother to look up reasonably accurate and believable sources.

But, no - they won't do that. I know several educated and otherwise reasonably intelligent people (their political beliefs aside) in my network of friends who buy into every bit of conspiracy lunacy that comes alone. Aliens building the pyramids, aliens in the bible, crusaders and Egyptians in America thousands of years ago, heaven only knows what on Oak Island, lost cities of Atlantis, time travel in the Philadelphia Experiment, the world once having actual stereotypical magic - fireballs and all, wizards, and even dragons, cars with magic engines that run only on water, magic carburetors that got 100+ miles per gallon, and so on... And it's all utter rubbish.

Their "sources" are nothing but ignorant drivel from the internet or sensationalized TV shows that intentionally obfuscate well-known facts to create mysteries. Their claims are utterly groundless, and when confronted with actual facts, they claim it's "all part of the conspiracy" or defend their lunacy with insane reasoning such as since we don't know EXACTLY how old the pyramids are - to the year - or EXACTLY every detail of their construction, than clearly it's logical to believe they were built by aliens. Same idea with their crackpot method of "disproving" carbon dating. Since you can't tell me EXACTLY how old this human relic is - to the day - with carbon dating, it's acceptable to believe it's from millions of years ago and was created by citizens of Atlantis before magic left the world and the ice age happened, or some crap.

I'm so tired of this groundless, dark-age level of reasoning. There are very few actual mysteries remotely worth mentioning in human history, and an inability to detail fully every single aspect of a "mystery" does not mean you can throw out all the facts already known and just fill them in with sensational, conspiracy-theory drivel from the History Channel or the internet.
You seem butthurt, like other people not very well read on the different mysteries and unexplained things of the B.C. era.. you think you watched 5 minutes of Ancient Aliens Debunked and know something. Whereas the people I follow and read have just as much knowledge as academics, if not more, or they are a part of academia. The problem is you're using a non sequitur and saying since they never found buried treasure on Oak Island this means there's no unsolved things in the past lolz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal