Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingCat View Post
Why knock the door to an empty room?

It may be empty but you never know.

Knocking the door is a way of saying you've come to stay, and if "something" is in there to please excuse themselves. There's no harm in practicing some of these rules when it comes to hotels stay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Also, hotel WiFi connections are notoriously not secure. I pay a an extra $5/ month for a hotspot on my cellphone that I can use. Sometimes I go for months without needing it but I’m glad it’s there when I do.
coschristi - I use the hotspot on my cell phone regularly since I go to places without WIFI. However, due to being in a Colorado mountain area, my cell phone carrier had a "no service" signal on my phone while I was at this lodge. I had to drive about a mile in order to get a signal. Couldn't use my hotspot without a signal. They do have the public WIFI, which I knew was risky.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:12 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
It may be empty but you never know.

Knocking the door is a way of saying you've come to stay, and if "something" is in there to please excuse themselves. There's no harm in practicing some of these rules when it comes to hotels stay
softcrunch, thanks, adding this to my list of things to do while there.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
coschristi - I was the only person in my little building of 5 units, and was also the only person on the entire premises, except for the two owners. They told me that there were no other guests except for me. I asked them about it. My room was up an outdoor flight of sturdy wooden stairs in an out-of-the way area over looking the river...it would not have had a lot of regular foot traffic. There would only be a couple of people who would need to come upstairs to one of the two rooms at the top of the stairs. So, it wasn't in a place that could have been mistaken for the office, which was down below.

To add to this...since the outside stairs were wood, if someone had come up the stairs, I would have heard them walking. The next time I'm there, I'll have a friend come over to walk the stairs and walk to my door to see how much I can hear.

I'm wondering about the names of the former owners, and when they passed away. Or, who knows, it could be an Indian area.

Since I used to live in this town, I'm very familiar with things like pine cones dropping on the roof, etc....but this was a regular knocking sound, as if someone was using the knuckles on their hand to knock on the door as is customary. The town has a population of 6-7,000 and has a large tourist influx starting about right now. So the town swells up during the season. But I never heard any stories about this kind of thing while I lived there.

I'm going to mention this to my group of friends who live there to see if they've ever heard anything.
Be sure to follow up with us, OP. We love updates!

Old 04-29-2018, 08:24 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
My guess is the local drug dealer uses that room at times and people were knocking expecting him!

Old 04-29-2018, 09:04 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Thank you. A lot of what you're saying, Bob, makes sense, based on some past reading I've done about the spirit world. This lodge originates from a long time ago...I forget when it first opened, but someone left a review that mentioned how long it had been there. It's been remodeled very nicely, but there is a part of it that is old-old.
Very old buildings sometimes have deathwatch beetles (Xestobium rufovillosum) in the walls. The males signal for a mate by rapping their heads against the walls of the tunnels they dig in the walls. They typically tap several times, wait a second or two, then do it again. They're found throughout the U.S., but they're not as common here as they are in Europe. Plus, their tapping is a bit rapid to be mistaken for someone rapping on a wall. See what you think:

Death watch beetle video - Xestobium rufovillosum - 09a | Arkive

Old 04-30-2018, 04:11 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Be sure to follow up with us, OP. We love updates!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:19 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
You mentioned bathroom wall. I live in an older house. Our drainage pipes do this.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:29 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Very old buildings sometimes have deathwatch beetles (Xestobium rufovillosum) in the walls. The males signal for a mate by rapping their heads against the walls of the tunnels they dig in the walls. They typically tap several times, wait a second or two, then do it again. They're found throughout the U.S., but they're not as common here as they are in Europe. Plus, their tapping is a bit rapid to be mistaken for someone rapping on a wall. See what you think:

Death watch beetle video - Xestobium rufovillosum - 09a | Arkive

Vasily - thank for the info about deathwatch beatles. This doesn't sound at all like the knocks I heard. The difference is that they sounded like a person actually knocking on a door....although when they first started, it sounded like the knocks were on the common wall...but when the knocks woke me up in middle of night, it almost sounded like it was on my outside door of the room. And, the number of knocks was 4 or 5 knocks each time. I really can't say for sure about any of this....as far as WHERE the knocks were coming from. But what I am sure about is that it sounded just like knuckles knocking in the usual way we knock on doors to announce our arrival to gain entry.

As for drug dealers..maybe I'm really behind the times, but I don't think so. This is a very nice local motel/lodge - with very limited parking....the buidiings are situated randomly, not in an orderly fashion like a regular motel. It's not a place where a drug dealer would hang out...they would stand out like a sore thumb. All the extra traffic to the drug dealer's room - and in the parking lot - would be highly noticeable. I had some drug dealers living next-door to me many years ago in a condo I owned, and all the extra cars were VERY noticeable. I met with some undercover cops who told me that these people - the folks purchasing the drugs - would just take over a neighborhood...and not to be surprised if these people came into my courtyard and sat at my patio table and chairs. The lodge where I stayed the other night is not a chain motel...it has a smaller parking lot and extra cars would definitely make the parking lot too crowded, and they would be noticeable, too. I suspect the owners would be all over a drug dealer's activities like a duck on a june bug.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:37 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
You mentioned bathroom wall. I live in an older house. Our drainage pipes do this.
JohnNada - thanks! I know how this sounds and have heard it many times in my life....the sound is not at all similar to what I heard. Once again, it was the sound of human - or formerly human - knuckles knocking in the same fashion used by anyone knocking on a door to announce their arrival.

This is why my blood ran cold when the knocking woke me up during the night...it was knocking as if someone was actually KNOCKING ON THE DOOR - OR ON A WALL - I really couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from.

So far, I've not come across another explanation that resonates with me. My intuition still has the best hit - this was from the spirit world. Even though I haven't had any experience with this sort of thing, there is no other explanation for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal