Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2019, 09:29 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Schools shouldnt be religious at all , leave that to the home and churches... and let kids get on together..
I assume NI is like other places where parents can send their kids to parochial schools for an extra fee as opposed to free public education.
Hopefully the public schools paid for by taxpayers are not religious. If they are, that is something that would need to stop.

I wonder if forced integration of school children in NI has been considered?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Well,it's that time of year again when Plastic Paddies the world over dig out their ginger wigs,turn perfectly good Guinness into green stout and bore everyone not already familiar with their trip back home to retrace their roots and kiss the Blarney Stone.
Jaysus and begorrah.
Just don't call it St Patty's Day.
Please.
It's bad enough you're a Plastic Paddy without also making a complete tool of yourselves.
Yes Roscoe, over here in America, EVERYONE is Irish for a day, which probably makes you cringe. It matters not if you are black, brown, red or yellow, everyone is drinking, reveling in merriment, pinching each other if you are not wearing green, etc.
To bad you Brits are too stiff to enjoy such things. Maybe it is because of the lousy beer you'll brew.
But heck you can get the good stuff in NI and the RoI, so don't fret and lighten up.

`

Old 03-16-2019, 07:45 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't see any major religion dying any time soon, regardless of falling numbers in many western cultures. I have said many times that I do not believe the main reason for the wars between England/Britain & Ireland are religious. Heck before Henry got his loins in a roar and started the CoE to have things his way, there was plenty of bloodshed.
So while it is true there is sectarian violence, it is more Irish vs. Brits instead of Catholics vs. Protestants. The question is, how do we bridge that divide?
One way may be to force the kids from either tribe in NI to go to school together, with a religion neutral curriculum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Schools shouldnt be religious at all , leave that to the home and churches... and let kids get on together..

Why aren't your school secular?!

Quote:
Well,it's that time of year again when Plastic Paddies the world over dig out their ginger wigs,turn perfectly good Guinness into green stout and bore everyone not already familiar with their trip back home to retrace their roots and kiss the Blarney Stone.
Jaysus and begorrah.
Just don't call it St Patty's Day.
Please.
It's bad enough you're a Plastic Paddy without also making a complete tool of yourselves.
Quote:
Yes Roscoe, over here in America, EVERYONE is Irish for a day, which probably makes you cringe. It matters not if you are black, brown, red or yellow, everyone is drinking, reveling in merriment, pinching each other if you are not wearing green, etc.
To bad you Brits are too stiff to enjoy such things. Maybe it is because of the lousy beer you'll brew.
But heck you can get the good stuff in NI and the RoI, so don't fret and lighten up.

`

I'm having bailey's tomorrow. If I was in the city, I would to and irish pub and have cornbeef and a pint of Guinness. Ironically, both beverages are owned by the british.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Why aren't your school secular?!

I'm having bailey's tomorrow. If I was in the city, I would to and irish pub and have cornbeef and a pint of Guinness. Ironically, both beverages are owned by the british.
As to schools, I assume you mean in Britain or Ireland, as many in America are religious, ,and typically have a better reputation than most public schools.

I just think something needs to be done in NI to help prevent the kids from becoming indoctrinated into distrusting or hating those from the other tribe.
That is not to say parents shouldn't be allowed to send their kids to religious schools if they pay for it, but the ones that go to public schools should be required to integrate with each other. There should not be any religious teaching in NI public schools, and a neutral curriculum that does not favor one view of history over the other.

As to St. Patrick's Day, it is starting today over here, so I've got a head start. I assume you are mixing Bailey's with something, not drinking it straight.
Ownership of most brands of booze now days have little to do with where the product is created, with Diageo being in the top 5;

Anheuser-Busch InBev: US$56.4 billion (Belgium) up 23.7%
Heineken Holding: $24.7 billion (Netherlands) up 7.4%
Asahi Group Holdings: $19.4 billion (Japan) up 23.6%
Kirin Holdings: $16.6 billion (Japan) down -13.1%
Diageo: $15.7 billion (United Kingdom) up 3.3%
Suntory Holdings: $11 billion (Japan) up 21.3%
Molson Coors Brewing: $10.9 billion (United States) up 122.4%
Pernod Ricard: $10.2 billion (France) up 5.2%
Carlsberg: $9.4 billion (Denmark) up 1.1%
Kweichow Moutai: $8.5 billion (China) up 70%
Constellation Brands: $7.6 billion (United States) up 4.1%
Thai Beverage: $5.6 billion (Thailand) up 5.7%
Wuliangye Yibin: $4.4 billion (China) up 29.4%
Brown-Forman: $3.2 billion (United States) up 6.7%
Jiangsu Yanghe Brewery: $2.9 billion (China)

As long as the British company that owns many Irish beers/booze does not move where they are made (or mess with the formulas), I am ok.
I remember when Lowenbrau stopped exporting to America and started to allow Molsen to reformulate it in Canada before it getting here. It went from great to lousy, and ruined the brand over here.
So Diageo had better not pull the same stunt, even with the "Proddy whiskey" like Bushmills that they drink in NI.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

`

Old 03-17-2019, 04:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
One of the great ironies of Bailey's Irish Cream is that while Plastic Paddies the world over neck it religiously on Paddy's Day as though it's an iconic ,historic Irish beverage the stuff was dreamed up in Essex in the 1970s.
It is the perfect con trick for gullible Plastic Paddies.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
One of the great ironies of Bailey's Irish Cream is that while Plastic Paddies the world over neck it religiously on Paddy's Day as though it's an iconic ,historic Irish beverage the stuff was dreamed up in Essex in the 1970s.

Do you really think people care about the origin of something they enjoy.
Seriously?

Also, if I am not mistaken Baileys is made in both Dublin and in Northern Ireland, employing many Irish and British alike.

I also didn't realize liking something Irish, made people a PP as well. Dangerous Boy does not seem to fit your stereotype either, so once again, how do you fit these square pegs in the round holes.

----

BTW - The stuff is too sweet for me to drink straight, but I have had it mixed into coffee before and it is good (with no sugar added).
I think I have also had an Irish Car Bomb where a ****** of Baileys was dropped into my Guinness (like a boilermaker), and while anything tastes good with Guinness, I'd have preferred Harp mixed in.

`

Old 03-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:

you do not get to mock bailey's!

Its the nectar of the gods!

Old 03-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
you do not get to mock bailey's!

Its the nectar of the gods!
In Ireland only women drink it.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Do you really think people care about the origin of something they enjoy.
Seriously?

Also, if I am not mistaken Baileys is made in both Dublin and in Northern Ireland, employing many Irish and British alike.

I also didn't realize liking something Irish, made people a PP as well. Dangerous Boy does not seem to fit your stereotype either, so once again, how do you fit these square pegs in the round holes.

----

BTW - The stuff is too sweet for me to drink straight, but I have had it mixed into coffee before and it is good (with no sugar added).
I think I have also had an Irish Car Bomb where a ****** of Baileys was dropped into my Guinness (like a boilermaker), and while anything tastes good with Guinness, I'd have preferred Harp mixed in.

`
You mix lager with Guinness ?
Peak Plastic Paddy.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
In Ireland only women drink it.

your mom drinks baileys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom