Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times

Advertisements

Many a Nationalist would not care Vector1?? Considering how long the South has been independent twice a small local parade issue in Dublin has been stopped due to threats being made. It is going to take some Irish a long time to follow the way Americans adapted after getting separated from us. If unity was done I do not think for one minute that SF/IRA lot would decide to disband they are very very leftist and a restricted mind lot. Surprised that in the last decade when we gave Ireland a good loan the SF/IRA did not kick up proverbial hell! I have also stated Vector1 there is no big campaign south of the Border for unity and years ago they dropped claims from their Constitution Hhhm, did get an interesting piece of hooray news when I discovered in a search last night that the number of Protestants in the Republic have increased especially in the Church of Ireland (Episcopal) and a more moderate rise on the Presbyterians. Not massively of course but was pleased at the positive aspect of Ireland had got better! k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Many a Nationalist would not care Vector1?? Considering how long the South has been independent twice a small local parade issue in Dublin has been stopped due to threats being made. It is going to take some Irish a long time to follow the way Americans adapted after getting separated from us. If unity was done I do not think for one minute that SF/IRA lot would decide to disband they are very very leftist and a restricted mind lot. Surprised that in the last decade when we gave Ireland a good loan the SF/IRA did not kick up proverbial hell! I have also stated Vector1 there is no big campaign south of the Border for unity and years ago they dropped claims from their Constitution Hhhm, did get an interesting piece of hooray news when I discovered in a search last night that the number of Protestants in the Republic have increased especially in the Church of Ireland (Episcopal) and a more moderate rise on the Presbyterians. Not massively of course but was pleased at the positive aspect of Ireland had got better! k
Aside from the fact you are living in the past by making it sound as if the IRA is still in existence (they disbanded and disarmed many years ago), even the radical dissident groups which SF disavows and criticizes would not have a reason to exist.
Sure the ones engaged in criminal activities (like the Loyalist groups) would want to continue to play their trade, but a untied Ireland would end their primary mandate.

As to the south, they went along with the GFA figuring the only chance for a reasonable and peaceful solution lay with it.
That combined with SF pushing for the GFA helped to show Irish from all sectors could support it.

Rest assured no Unionist would want to leave the vote to the RoI, and assume they would vote against unification.
While the average Joe in the south might not be as keen as SF/Republicans are, the majority would vote for it, and you know it.

`

Old 09-03-2019, 11:00 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post

We will go forward with a ballot paper in one hand and an Armalite in the other. So said Morrision at the IRA/Republican get together. And that has applied ever since. It would take a very naive person to believe that the PIRA doesn't exist anymore. They are carrying out the ballot paper part while others continue with the Armalite part. The only difference is they may not use the Armalite anymore but some other type of gun.

Republican gangs formed in more recent times could be stopped by the IRA if they chose to do so but of course they won't do that.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:34 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
We will go forward with a ballot paper in one hand and an Armalite in the other. So said Morrision at the IRA/Republican get together. And that has applied ever since. It would take a very naive person to believe that the PIRA doesn't exist anymore. They are carrying out the ballot paper part while others continue with the Armalite part. The only difference is they may not use the Armalite anymore but some other type of gun.

Republican gangs formed in more recent times could be stopped by the IRA if they chose to do so but of course they won't do that.
Look, I get that individual members of the disbanded IRA did not leave the planet, and are capable of starting up again.

However that is a far cry from being an active military unit planning and carrying out attacks. That combined with massive amounts of weapons turned over, and no attacks over the decades should have convinced many that it is a retired group.
What would it take and for how many more years, for you and your brethren to be convinced of it?

I'd also note that you say they (meaning the retired Provos) could put a stop to Republican dissidents/gangs/thugs, would only feed into your narrative that they did not disband and are still active. That would be true even if they didn't go after British/Loyalists any longer, only policed their own side of the peace wall, correct?

`

Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Look, I get that individual members of the disbanded IRA did not leave the planet, and are capable of starting up again.

However that is a far cry from being an active military unit planning and carrying out attacks. That combined with massive amounts of weapons turned over, and no attacks over the decades should have convinced many that it is a retired group.
What would it take and for how many more years, for you and your brethren to be convinced of it?

I'd also note that you say they (meaning the retired Provos) could put a stop to Republican dissidents/gangs/thugs, would only feed into your narrative that they did not disband and are still active. That would be true even if they didn't go after British/Loyalists any longer, only policed their own side of the peace wall, correct?

`

Until the murders stop altogether. There are still those who are hell-bent on killing. Just last week or so they tried to murder policemen. The PIRA with the muscle and influence they have could stop this if they wanted to but of course they don't. They haven't gone away

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...2&action=click

Old 09-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Of course you may be right. I came across this on the net

Representatives of Sinn Fein/IRA are repeatedly threatening to increase their activities and create more civil unrest, murder and suffering.

They no longer have the claim that the Catholic Community of Northern Ireland are oppressed or disadvantaged, they have shared power and would do so again if they chose consensus instead of dominance. The politics of the province is a quagmire of mutual mistrust.

A return to the violence of the past would be difficult to accomplish. The IRA doesn't have the support of the public anymore. The growing middle class have vested interests in maintaining the status quo. The people like the relative peace. They would be loathe to protect those who threaten their success.

Brexit is a threat to the criminals, it threatens their cross border scams. Their 'political agenda' is more closely associated with maintaining personal wealth.
They are also concerned with the threat of strong leadership in Westminster. Perhaps there is a leader in office who is prepared to take them on, call their bluff and risk paying the price of freedom?

Old 09-03-2019, 02:36 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:

Genuine question, do you believe that those so called dissidents are doing the bidding of SF?

Proxys if you will

Old 09-03-2019, 02:41 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Of course you may be right. I came across this on the net

Representatives of Sinn Fein/IRA are repeatedly threatening to increase their activities and create more civil unrest, murder and suffering.

They no longer have the claim that the Catholic Community of Northern Ireland are oppressed or disadvantaged, they have shared power and would do so again if they chose consensus instead of dominance. The politics of the province is a quagmire of mutual mistrust.

A return to the violence of the past would be difficult to accomplish. The IRA doesn't have the support of the public anymore. The growing middle class have vested interests in maintaining the status quo. The people like the relative peace. They would be loathe to protect those who threaten their success.

Brexit is a threat to the criminals, it threatens their cross border scams. Their 'political agenda' is more closely associated with maintaining personal wealth.
They are also concerned with the threat of strong leadership in Westminster. Perhaps there is a leader in office who is prepared to take them on, call their bluff and risk paying the price of freedom?
I'm sure you have heard of Thomas " slab" Murphy?

That guy is more a Godfather than anything else, extremely wealthy and probably more powerful than gerry adams could ever dream of being, I grew up only forty five minutes from Crossmaglen so would know a little about the goings on in that area, serious amount of theft, beit cattle rustling or laundering diesel and cigarette smuggling

I don't think the British state has that much interest in the criminal culture around Crossmaglen, it's as if the area is a sort of twilight zone of lawlessness

Old 09-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Genuine question, do you believe that those so called dissidents are doing the bidding of SF?

Proxys if you will

Yes, I'm inclined to think so but may be wrong. I would put it that the dissidents will carry on with a nod and a wink from SF.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I'm sure you have heard of Thomas " slab" Murphy?

That guy is more a Godfather than anything else, extremely wealthy and probably more powerful than gerry adams could ever dream of being, I grew up only forty five minutes from Crossmaglen so would know a little about the goings on in that area, serious amount of theft, beit cattle rustling or laundering diesel and cigarette smuggling

I don't think the British state has that much interest in the criminal culture around Crossmaglen, it's as if the area is a sort of twilight zone of lawlessness

Aye, that is 'bandit country' as someone labelled it. Don't know much about the area except what you have said. Wasn't there a young Catholic lad taken away and murdered by the IRA. They lured him to a barn and then killed him. Can't remember what it was over but wasn't he in the IRA ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom