Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 02:06 PM

252 posts, read 89,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Not at all.
However I am far from a religiously bigoted person. That is especially true of divisions within my own faith, that being Christianity. I would walk into a NI Catholic church as readily as a Presbyterian one.
I would like to think I was welcome in both, and every denomination in between.

Personally I find it beyond comprehension that places like NI and parts of Scotland have allowed sectarianism to permeate so many facets of their daily lives, to this very day.
It is not as if one side worships Zuul and the other Gozer, both dedicated to the destruction of the other.

Even Paisley who was one of the most bigoted blowhards in the history of NI came around. Yet many of his followers seem stuck in a time warp.
If God forbid a child of Protestant is injured and the skilled surgeon who is going to try to save them is Catholic, would that matter or even cross their minds?

Fortunately I believe religious bigotry is declining within NI, yet for some it is on a simmer just below the surface.
Whether NI remains a part of the UK or unites with Ireland, the old beliefs rooted in religious bigotry must come to an end.

`

Maybe you are not a religiously bigoted person but your not averse to throwing the word bigot at other people. Four times you have used the words bigot,bigotry,bigoted. People who use those words perhaps use it to hide their own bigotry. Get in first and blacken them as bigots. A good ploy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 03:16 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullish Rab View Post
Maybe you are not a religiously bigoted person but your not averse to throwing the word bigot at other people. Four times you have used the words bigot,bigotry,bigoted. People who use those words perhaps use it to hide their own bigotry. Get in first and blacken them as bigots. A good ploy
Come on now, don't imply I project my own views onto others in that regard.

I'd bet dollars to donuts if we had a poster in our discussion saying the same things about Protestants (as some have said about Catholics), you would notice it, and assume the person was bigoted against Protestants.
Yet somehow you don't notice or ignore it when it is against Catholics coming from someone of your own stripe.

But lest I prejudge you on this subject, let me throw you a hanging curveball and see if you can hit it out of the park.
Did Ian Paisely say bigoted things against Catholics back in the day?

`

Old 12-31-2019, 03:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullish Rab View Post
A HAPPY HOGMANAY everyone.... from Ulster
Happy Hogmanay and Happy New Year, Ullish Rab.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
Would just in passing say Vector1 that an American leaning towards the Marxist SF/IRA is unusual!

Meantime from the centre of the Universe (Glasgow to the unaware) I would add my hope everyone had a nice Christmas and that they have a good 2020.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Would just in passing say Vector1 that an American leaning towards the Marxist SF/IRA is unusual!

Meantime from the centre of the Universe (Glasgow to the unaware) I would add my hope everyone had a nice Christmas and that they have a good 2020.
LOL

For my country yes, for NI or the RoI who knows.

Be that as it may, I hope everyone had, or will have a great New Years celebration.

`

Old 12-31-2019, 10:53 PM

465 posts, read 607,413 times
Happy New Year everyone!

Your collective posts made me look up Hogmanay, a word I had never heard before today. So thanks for the education and happy Hogmanay too!

RJhowie - I was only in Glasgow once but I certainly felt like it was the center of the universe one afternoon in the Willow Tea Room. (I happily consumed a few stronger drinks later that night too.)

Old 01-01-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Happy New Year everyone!

Your collective posts made me look up Hogmanay, a word I had never heard before today. So thanks for the education and happy Hogmanay too!

RJhowie - I was only in Glasgow once but I certainly felt like it was the center of the universe one afternoon in the Willow Tea Room. (I happily consumed a few stronger drinks later that night too.)
I toasted several posters with extra drinks last night to bring in the new year. Here is hoping NI is more peaceful and it's green & orange citizens find ways to more forward, not live in the past.

Heck just for Ulsterman, I will use the term the amalgamation of NI & Ireland.

`

Old 01-02-2020, 12:41 PM

A long but interesting article.
Here is but one excerpt;

In Northern Ireland, Brexit is stirring up an especially volatile brew. Sectarian tensions have been roiling in one form or another since at least the 17th century, when King James I encouraged the migration of Protestant colonists from Scotland and England to the northern Irish province of Ulster, where they enjoyed special privileges. An act of the British Parliament in 1920, during the Irish War of Independence, led to Ireland’s partition, creating a Protestant-majority Northern Ireland. Catholic grievances over discrimination fueled animosities that helped precipitate the Troubles.

Attitudes on Brexit, too, largely fall along sectarian lines. A majority of Protestants in Northern Ireland — 60 percent — voted to leave the European Union, according to one survey, and the D.U.P., long skeptical of the European Union, backed Brexit. A majority of Catholics — 85 percent — voted to stay, a position also backed by Sinn Fein, in great part because many people feared that Brexit would result in a hardening of the Irish border. The fate of that border presented the main obstacle in negotiations between successive British conservative governments and the European Union on a withdrawal agreement. The European Union, mindful that a hard border would undermine the Good Friday Agreement and quite possibly lead to violence, wanted a deal that avoided customs checks at the border. In October, Boris Johnson found a partial solution by agreeing to a new customs border in the Irish Sea, between Britain and Northern Ireland; this means checks on goods traveling within the United Kingdom instead of on the Irish border. But hard-line unionists have been outraged by the deal, with some calling it the “betrayal act.” English conservatives, they believe, have abandoned Northern Ireland and endangered its place in the United Kingdom. At the same time, many Irish nationalists, though relieved that the immediate prospect of a hard Irish border has faded, have nevertheless been so angered by the uncertainty of the last years that they see continued membership in the United Kingdom as less tenable than ever.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/30/m...n-ireland.html

`

Old 01-02-2020, 07:23 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
I still am of the view that the recent link on the previous page I gave re the united Ireland of the SF/IRA is a bit more interesting regard what it was saying!

Old 01-03-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I still am of the view that the recent link on the previous page I gave re the united Ireland of the SF/IRA is a bit more interesting regard what it was saying!
I read it and you could say that.
The part I think might be suspect was the polling.
[I think polling is a joke in general anyway unless done by a select few professional organizations. I say that whether polls back up my assertions or they say the opposite. For two examples, look at the polling about Brexit which was wrong, and the American presidential election of 2016. This has gone on going back to the Reagan days when Carter was suppose to wipe the floor with him.
The excuse back then was polling was not as sophisticated, but 2016 turned out to be the same with the aforementioned examples]

The strange thing about SF and their popularity in NI seems predicated on their position for a united Ireland, not necessarily their social and financial policy positions. So the SDLP is viewed more moderately on a united Ireland even though it is in their platform, and even though their other policies might be more palatable, most voters pick SF as a result.
I suspect that is the same reason most Unionists pick the DUP, as they are perceived to be stronger than the UUP in maintaining NI as part of the UK.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom