Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately Vector1 you do have one continuity in that you are regular at being not doing well in knowledge, etc. May I also say in you trying to weirdly lean towards Adam being unfairly assessed I must intimate that the man concerned has been of his stance since he was young and much older now. So he is consistent with being a negative and dodgy person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Unfortunately Vector1 you do have one continuity in that you are regular at being not doing well in knowledge, etc. May I also say in you trying to weirdly lean towards Adam being unfairly assessed I must intimate that the man concerned has been of his stance since he was young and much older now. So he is consistent with being a negative and dodgy person.
I do not understand how you can say I lack knowledge just because I can see the good Adams has done, despite his questionable past.
I have given credit to Paisley for turning from a boisterous Catholic bigot into a more reasoned man, and working with those he despised to forge a better future for NI.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...t-9731367.html

Sure Adams is disliked or even hated by people such as yourself, which again is your prerogative. However you seem incapable of giving even the slightest inch when it comes to Adams, to acknowledge some of his positive aspects.
Heck if you watched that video of him back before the GFA, we was talking about positive solutions and fighting for civil rights in a peaceful manner.
He may not be a MLK, but neither is he Attila.
Back in the days leading up to and during the GFA, Paisley certainly sounded much worse, and if left up to him and his DUP cohorts, the GFA would never have happened.
Do you honestly think NI would be better off today if Paisley got his way instead of Adams?

`

Old 06-13-2019, 02:51 PM

Your obvious intention to show how liberally open minded you are is a definitive groan and frankly a nonsense. Adams all his life has been from the same damn background and I am somehow at fault for not being like your odd stance at "acknowledging" that man's long would-be efforts?? Adams is part of a long and violent past and whether you lie being reminded of factual facts is daft. Trying to show that Adams is in a so-called wide matter misunderstood or wrong is head shaking. He has been part of a culture for decades that has been dangerous, has killed man and caused mayhem. Goebells could be charming and appear friendly but was still a damnable danger as were others. The partnership of the SF and IRA were not some balanced lot being reasonable but evil.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:31 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Your obvious intention to show how liberally open minded you are is a definitive groan and frankly a nonsense. Adams all his life has been from the same damn background and I am somehow at fault for not being like your odd stance at "acknowledging" that man's long would-be efforts?? Adams is part of a long and violent past and whether you lie being reminded of factual facts is daft. Trying to show that Adams is in a so-called wide matter misunderstood or wrong is head shaking. He has been part of a culture for decades that has been dangerous, has killed man and caused mayhem. Goebells could be charming and appear friendly but was still a damnable danger as were others. The partnership of the SF and IRA were not some balanced lot being reasonable but evil.

Think this say it all. Freedom fighters and all the rest of the rubbish they peddle

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...suHAbRFBfnlagA

Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Spot on there Ulsterman and well done but unfortunately elsewhere common sense does not always automatically be part of any forum!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:25 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Great piece in the Irish Times from the DUP's Jeffrey Donaldson.

" At a time when cool heads were needed in Brussels, Leo Varadkar was photocopying articles from The Irish Times about a 1972 Provisional IRA bombing of a customs post. â€

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...nj_od4.twitter

Old 06-14-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Spot on there Ulsterman and well done but unfortunately elsewhere common sense does not always automatically be part of any forum!

It seems for some people then that they can do no wrong. Billy McKee died this week and was there at the making of the PIRA. Its noticeably that he is standing outside an RC chapel so does he like Vinney Byrne get forgiveness from the priest? He himself has said he stands by what he did.

Provisional IRA founder Billy McKee defends its worst atrocities including murder of Jean McConville - The Irish News

Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM

I think I must remind anyone who is naive or politically bland of the well known and hard facts regarding the so-called brilliant Good Friday thing had 300 dangerous thug extremist Republicans freed from jail for ever. Blair ALSO wrote to 187 of them a personal immunity. Yet what do we get regarding our soldiers? Veterans in their 70's being threatened by law. One up before a court was told by a nationalist Queen's Counsel that the ex-soldier need not take the Oath of allegiance to HM The Queen. Unionist front liners such as in the DUP and others need to be more responsive. Senior citizens who were soldiers all those decades ago being got at yet a damn Prime Minister who let all those Shinners out of jail stuff? Its is bad enough having someone come out with guff that Adams has a nice side and that Republican was of the same corner as all those thugs in jail. It is disgusting that terrorists can be freed and virtually patted on the back while soldiers from all those years ago are hounded. Diabolical and sickening. Blair and Adams should get together and have a cup of tea and hug each other.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:48 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Frankly when I read your interpretations of my posts, I try to be objective/empathetic, but it is more apparent you are blinded by your own bias.

While I like most other people can be liberal minded at times, my core beliefs are rooted in a more conservative philosophy, at least from an American perspective.
So while I can and am willing to point out shortcomings of individuals/groups, I try to never lose site of positive change, regardless of where it comes from.

Whether it be Nelson Mandela, Gerry Adams, Ian Paisley, etc., I can listen to others, and even believe myself they were/are no angels.
Yet unlike some who are so wedded to their hardcore bias/ideology, I can see positive attributes when genuine effort is made.
Thus the fact you and a few others are incapable of giving Adams even 0.01% credit for anything as it relates to NI, says much more about others intractable rigidity, than my occasional open-mindedness.

I imagine there are some from the other tribe that danced on Paisley's grave, and would say he was the worst human being to walk the earth.
However reality shows that he made a fundamental change in his mind and heart, and deserves credit for it, despite his checkered past.

Until more people from both sides of the divide are willing to see such things, it is but one of many hurdles those in NI must overcome to put the past behind them, and forge a new future.

`

Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I think I must remind anyone who is naive or politically bland of the well known and hard facts regarding the so-called brilliant Good Friday thing had 300 dangerous thug extremist Republicans freed from jail for ever. Blair ALSO wrote to 187 of them a personal immunity. Yet what do we get regarding our soldiers? Veterans in their 70's being threatened by law. One up before a court was told by a nationalist Queen's Counsel that the ex-soldier need not take the Oath of allegiance to HM The Queen. Unionist front liners such as in the DUP and others need to be more responsive. Senior citizens who were soldiers all those decades ago being got at yet a damn Prime Minister who let all those Shinners out of jail stuff? Its is bad enough having someone come out with guff that Adams has a nice side and that Republican was of the same corner as all those thugs in jail. It is disgusting that terrorists can be freed and virtually patted on the back while soldiers from all those years ago are hounded. Diabolical and sickening. Blair and Adams should get together and have a cup of tea and hug each other.

RJ, I think they have already done that. Have to ask would the American government do the same? Should they have invited Bin Laden for talks in the White House ? No, they didn't. They went after him and we know what the outcome was. America was right to do so but we have Blair.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-blair-ira.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom