Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 08:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

While it never came out who was the source of the tip, at the time, the highest profile Irish-American in Philadelphia was Princess Grace's brother, John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 08:09 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The IRA was soliciting funds for guns in NY. When the IRA agent was picked up, they found information that matched what they suspected, that he was heading for Philadelphia to try to do the same. This was repeatedly announced on the local news in Philadelphia. It was repeatedly announced that this was illegal. This was not political money, it was money for guns. I've said it before & Dave saw it. They were raising money for guns with collection tins on NY bars.
I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I never saw it. Unlike where we fundamentally disagree about religious strife being common/prevalent in America, I have no doubt English Dave, you and others have seen such tins collecting for the IRA back in the day.
Maybe we just didn't go into the same Irish bars, and maybe you are much older than me.

The news article I posted was something different, that being related to donations coming to Sinn Fein from America.
While it did not specify the money to be going to a particular candidate, SF obviously runs multiple candidates in NI, the RoI, seats in the EU, etc.

Many of those in the more modern world do not see SF and the former IRA as one in the same. Yet RJ cannot post about SF without attaching IRA to them.
Still I was wondering how many in our discussion were ok with American support for SF today, considering the IRA is disbanded, and SF was integral in the GFA becoming the means of a fairly peaceful NI today?
Lets face it, without SF, neither of the aforementioned was likely to happen.

`

Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I never saw it. Unlike where we fundamentally disagree about religious strife being common/prevalent in America, I have no doubt English Dave, you and others have seen such tins collecting for the IRA back in the day.
Maybe we just didn't go into the same Irish bars, and maybe you are much older than me.

The news article I posted was something different, that being related to donations coming to Sinn Fein from America.
While it did not specify the money to be going to a particular candidate, SF obviously runs multiple candidates in NI, the RoI, seats in the EU, etc.

Many of those in the more modern world do not see SF and the former IRA as one in the same. Yet RJ cannot post about SF without attaching IRA to them.
Still I was wondering how many in our discussion were ok with American support for SF today, considering the IRA is disbanded, and SF was integral in the GFA becoming the means of a fairly peaceful NI today?
Lets face it, without SF, neither of the aforementioned was likely to happen.

`
There was an IRA agent picked up and identified as such in NY. I'm pretty sure that it was Gerry Adams & Roscoe pointed the finger at him.

I'm pretty sure that I'm a couple of years older than Dave, based on some of his posts. Many posters in this board are in my age group.

I was an adult when the IRA agent was picked up for soliciting funds for guns, including tins placed on bars in NY and - please pay attention to this - gun running.

As far as I'm concerned, Shinn Fein = IRA.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
I was pretty sure that it was Adams, but didn't want to say it without being positive.

To be honest, the idea of taking the dog and pony show to Philadelphia was incredibly stupid. While Philadelphia got a lot of the potato famine refugees, it had been ground zero of the 18th century Scotch-Irish.

The FBI & CIA had had a tipoff of what was going on in NY and that there was an intention to try Philadelphia. His greed got him caught.
Adams was never arrested in the US.He was doing nothing illegal in raising funds for Sinn Fein - it's just that much of it was siphoned off for the armed struggle.
American views on terrorism became more focused after it too became a target.
Suddenly passing the hat round to pay for bullets and Semtex to kill innocent women and children in the UK wasn't so acceptable any more.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times
Quote:
I was pretty sure that it was Adams, but didn't want to say it without being positive.

To be honest, the idea of taking the dog and pony show to Philadelphia was incredibly stupid. While Philadelphia got a lot of the potato famine refugees, it had been ground zero of the 18th century Scotch-Irish.

The FBI & CIA had had a tipoff of what was going on in NY and that there was an intention to try Philadelphia. His greed got him caught.

Did anything happen to George Harrison ? Was he arrested ?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Adams was never arrested in the US.He was doing nothing illegal in raising funds for Sinn Fein - it's just that much of it was siphoned off for the armed struggle.
American views on terrorism became more focused after it too became a target.
Suddenly passing the hat round to pay for bullets and Semtex to kill innocent women and children in the UK wasn't so acceptable any more.
Someone was picked up. The NYers yelled and screamed. The IRA agent was in custody for a long time, but I don't know if he was arrested.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Did anything happen to George Harrison ? Was he arrested ?
I don't know. Do you know if he was picked up?

Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:

No all I know was that he was getting guns to BU but haven't come across anything else about him. Will do a search.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I didn't have to look too far it was on Wikipedia about him.

George Harrison (1915–2004) was a member of the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

Born in Shammer, Kilkelly, County Mayo, in western Ireland, Harrison emigrated to the United States in 1938. Finding work as an armed guard with Brinks, he joined Clan Na Gael, an organization sympathetic to the IRA.

In 1981, Harrison was arrested in an FBI sting code-named "Operation Bushmill".[1] Harrison, Tom Falvey, Michael Flannery, Pat Mullin, and Danny Gormley were acquitted in a criminal trial held in New York City, which lasted from December 1980 to June 1981. Their acquittal was widely attributed to the unconventional efforts of Harrison's personal attorney, Frank Durkan; the men admitted to their activities but claimed that they believed the operation had Central Intelligence Agency sanction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...ish_republican)

Sent more guns to the IRA than Gaddafi

In George Harrison's view the conflict is an anti-imperialist struggle, pure and simple, and if Northern Ireland's million Protestants don't see the light by realising their Irishness and renouncing their Britishness there is no alternative but for some generation of patriots to push them into the sea. I knew this apparently lovable old guy had been responsible for supplying more guns to the IRA than any other individual with the exception of Libya's Colonel Gaddafi.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:12 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I didn't have to look too far it was on Wikipedia about him.

George Harrison (1915–2004) was a member of the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

Born in Shammer, Kilkelly, County Mayo, in western Ireland, Harrison emigrated to the United States in 1938. Finding work as an armed guard with Brinks, he joined Clan Na Gael, an organization sympathetic to the IRA.

In 1981, Harrison was arrested in an FBI sting code-named "Operation Bushmill".[1] Harrison, Tom Falvey, Michael Flannery, Pat Mullin, and Danny Gormley were acquitted in a criminal trial held in New York City, which lasted from December 1980 to June 1981. Their acquittal was widely attributed to the unconventional efforts of Harrison's personal attorney, Frank Durkan; the men admitted to their activities but claimed that they believed the operation had Central Intelligence Agency sanction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...ish_republican)

Sent more guns to the IRA than Gaddafi

In George Harrison's view the conflict is an anti-imperialist struggle, pure and simple, and if Northern Ireland's million Protestants don't see the light by realising their Irishness and renouncing their Britishness there is no alternative but for some generation of patriots to push them into the sea. I knew this apparently lovable old guy had been responsible for supplying more guns to the IRA than any other individual with the exception of Libya's Colonel Gaddafi.
You don't happen to know if he died a slow,lingering and painful death by any chance do you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom