Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There was an IRA agent picked up and identified as such in NY. I'm pretty sure that it was Gerry Adams & Roscoe pointed the finger at him.

I'm pretty sure that I'm a couple of years older than Dave, based on some of his posts. Many posters in this board are in my age group.

I was an adult when the IRA agent was picked up for soliciting funds for guns, including tins placed on bars in NY and - please pay attention to this - gun running.

As far as I'm concerned, Shinn Fein = IRA.
Well you and others are entitled to your view regarding Sinn Fein, but the IRA has been disbanded for decades now.
SF actively disavows any modern Republican dissidents who engage in violence, having traded the bullet for the ballot.

As to Gerry Adams, he was never a member of the IRA according to him and others, yet many Brits think he was.
To the best of my knowledge having studied him extensively, he was never arrested in America.

Heck he just had the mayor of NYC designate Gerry Adams Day this past year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xMhTD5OWI

Even if you cannot view it now, it is a short video talking about the honor the current mayor and current presidential candidate bestowed upon Adams.

BTW - Roscoe pointing a finger at anyone should be taken with a grain of salt.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I didn't have to look too far it was on Wikipedia about him.

George Harrison (1915–2004) was a member of the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

Born in Shammer, Kilkelly, County Mayo, in western Ireland, Harrison emigrated to the United States in 1938. Finding work as an armed guard with Brinks, he joined Clan Na Gael, an organization sympathetic to the IRA.

In 1981, Harrison was arrested in an FBI sting code-named "Operation Bushmill".[1] Harrison, Tom Falvey, Michael Flannery, Pat Mullin, and Danny Gormley were acquitted in a criminal trial held in New York City, which lasted from December 1980 to June 1981. Their acquittal was widely attributed to the unconventional efforts of Harrison's personal attorney, Frank Durkan; the men admitted to their activities but claimed that they believed the operation had Central Intelligence Agency sanction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...ish_republican)

Sent more guns to the IRA than Gaddafi

In George Harrison's view the conflict is an anti-imperialist struggle, pure and simple, and if Northern Ireland's million Protestants don't see the light by realising their Irishness and renouncing their Britishness there is no alternative but for some generation of patriots to push them into the sea. I knew this apparently lovable old guy had been responsible for supplying more guns to the IRA than any other individual with the exception of Libya's Colonel Gaddafi.

The Northern Irish aren't Irish, they're English or Scottish. They colonized the Northern part of the Island.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:43 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
They moved to Ireland at the same time the Mayflower set sail across the Atlantic.If one group and their descendants are illegitimate colonisers who shouldn't have a say in how the land they live in is politically organised shouldn't that apply to all non-native Americans too?

Old 06-07-2019, 02:41 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
[/b]

The Northern Irish aren't Irish, they're English or Scottish. They colonized the Northern part of the Island.

Or Ullish

Old 06-07-2019, 04:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
I didn't have to look too far it was on Wikipedia about him.

George Harrison (1915–2004) was a member of the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

Born in Shammer, Kilkelly, County Mayo, in western Ireland, Harrison emigrated to the United States in 1938. Finding work as an armed guard with Brinks, he joined Clan Na Gael, an organization sympathetic to the IRA.

In 1981, Harrison was arrested in an FBI sting code-named "Operation Bushmill".[1] Harrison, Tom Falvey, Michael Flannery, Pat Mullin, and Danny Gormley were acquitted in a criminal trial held in New York City, which lasted from December 1980 to June 1981. Their acquittal was widely attributed to the unconventional efforts of Harrison's personal attorney, Frank Durkan; the men admitted to their activities but claimed that they believed the operation had Central Intelligence Agency sanction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...ish_republican)

Sent more guns to the IRA than Gaddafi

In George Harrison's view the conflict is an anti-imperialist struggle, pure and simple, and if Northern Ireland's million Protestants don't see the light by realising their Irishness and renouncing their Britishness there is no alternative but for some generation of patriots to push them into the sea. I knew this apparently lovable old guy had been responsible for supplying more guns to the IRA than any other individual with the exception of Libya's Colonel Gaddafi.
I remember where I was working when the guy was picked up in NY. I think it happened somewhere around '93 - '95. I remember that the guy was held in custody for a long time. I don't remember if he was eventually charged or deported without his cache of guns.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I remember where I was working when the guy was picked up in NY. I think it happened somewhere around '93 - '95. I remember that the guy was held in custody for a long time. I don't remember if he was eventually charged or deported without his cache of guns.

There was so much going on around that time that is was hard to follow. I seem to remember other IRA sympathizers who were brought to court in other parts of the USA.

The man who interviewed George Harrison was a BBC reporter and he noticed other things too.

Flash Frames Mark Devenport BBC Corrospondent

Republicans were normally much more media-savvy, and in a series of funerals where there were confrontations with the RUC they used the media's presence in a highly sophisticated manner, sometimes pushing women to the forefront of fights in order to ensure the the pictures conveyed an image of RUC officers battering the innocents.

I noticed a woman protester pushing a pram with a baby boy in it. She was closely observing where the worst fighting was taking place and then pushing her child right into the middle of it, strategically placing him between the trouble and the television cameras. The baby, obviously upset by the turmoil around him, screamed. There, ready-made we had an image of innocence surrounded by police brutality. But back in the editing suite, we junked the picture.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
[/b]

HOW ULSTER GOT ITS NAME

At the beginning of the Christian era Cuige Uladh, ' the Fifth of the Ulstermen ', was the northern province of Ireland, divided from the ' Fifths' or provinces of Connacht and Meath by a line running from the mouth of the Drowes river ( near Bundoran in Co Donegal ) to the estuary of the river Boyne at Drogheda. Its rulers were called the Ulaidh ( prounced 'ully' ), a tribal name recorded by Ptolemy about 150 AD as Voluntii.

The people of Ulster were descended from those who had settled the north from about 7,000 BC ; Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age peoples and a variety of Iron Age invaders who were speaking Irish or Gaelic when Christianity was brought to Ulster in the fifth century AD. In the great Gaelic epic tale, the ' Cattle Raid of Cooley ', the men of Ulster defeated Queen Maeve and her Connachtmen.
We know, however, that the Ulaidh suffered a series of defeats and from about the fifth century AD to about the eighth century AD the rulers of the Ulaidh held sway over no more than the present counties of Antrim and Down.

The Vikings called the land of the Ulaidh, ' Uladztir ' - they mixed their own pronunciation with the Irish word tir, which means ' land '. When the Normans began to invade the north towards the end of the twelfth century they adopted the Viking version just as they did with Lein-ster, Mun-ster and Ire-land. And so in time Uladztir became anglicised to Ulster .

Old 06-08-2019, 05:40 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
I would remind The_General that the Scots and English who emigrated to the island of Ireland were ordinary folk and did a better job of the place than the originals. To say that they were therefore not Irish is rather weird so considering the hordes of Irish who themselves emigrated to America does that mean they are not American?? As Ulsterman has ingeniously indicated what history is like in factual terms and not just short time spans. What do we do when people have flitted into Britain for a time now including Africans, coloured people and so on - tell them they are not British?

Old 06-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
There was so much going on around that time that is was hard to follow. I seem to remember other IRA sympathizers who were brought to court in other parts of the USA.

The man who interviewed George Harrison was a BBC reporter and he noticed other things too.

Flash Frames Mark Devenport BBC Corrospondent

Republicans were normally much more media-savvy, and in a series of funerals where there were confrontations with the RUC they used the media's presence in a highly sophisticated manner, sometimes pushing women to the forefront of fights in order to ensure the the pictures conveyed an image of RUC officers battering the innocents.

I noticed a woman protester pushing a pram with a baby boy in it. She was closely observing where the worst fighting was taking place and then pushing her child right into the middle of it, strategically placing him between the trouble and the television cameras. The baby, obviously upset by the turmoil around him, screamed. There, ready-made we had an image of innocence surrounded by police brutality. But back in the editing suite, we junked the picture.
Ulsterman, the main reason that I remember this incident distinctly was because the individual intended to involve Philadelphia and therefore there were repeated announcements made in the local media, emphasizing the illegality of it. As I've said before, 2 of my coworkers were of Irish extraction. One was half Irish, on his mother's side and was quite worked up about it. The other was the son of Irish immigrants. He was much more moderate. Somehow, they were able to preserve their decades long friendship.

I remember Gerry Adams name coming into that news story, but whether the man who was picked up was connected to Adams or was Adams, I don't remember. I do remember that the man was in custody for a long time.(long enough that the media eventually got tired of it and started losing interest).

Old 06-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
HOW ULSTER GOT ITS NAME

At the beginning of the Christian era Cuige Uladh, ' the Fifth of the Ulstermen ', was the northern province of Ireland, divided from the ' Fifths' or provinces of Connacht and Meath by a line running from the mouth of the Drowes river ( near Bundoran in Co Donegal ) to the estuary of the river Boyne at Drogheda. Its rulers were called the Ulaidh ( prounced 'ully' ), a tribal name recorded by Ptolemy about 150 AD as Voluntii.

The people of Ulster were descended from those who had settled the north from about 7,000 BC ; Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age peoples and a variety of Iron Age invaders who were speaking Irish or Gaelic when Christianity was brought to Ulster in the fifth century AD. In the great Gaelic epic tale, the ' Cattle Raid of Cooley ', the men of Ulster defeated Queen Maeve and her Connachtmen.
We know, however, that the Ulaidh suffered a series of defeats and from about the fifth century AD to about the eighth century AD the rulers of the Ulaidh held sway over no more than the present counties of Antrim and Down.

The Vikings called the land of the Ulaidh, ' Uladztir ' - they mixed their own pronunciation with the Irish word tir, which means ' land '. When the Normans began to invade the north towards the end of the twelfth century they adopted the Viking version just as they did with Lein-ster, Mun-ster and Ire-land. And so in time Uladztir became anglicised to Ulster .
Thanks Ulsterman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom