Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 11:47 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times

Advertisements

Today 15th, June 1988

31yrs ago on this day in 1988 in Lisburn town centre cowardly Irish republican terrorists murdered 6 Off Duty British Soldiers after planting a 6lb bomb under an unmarked van they were travelling in after the Soldiers had completed the Lisburn half marathon fun run to raise money for disabled charities .The murdered soldiers were stationed at Ebrington Barracks in Londonderry and were returning to base when the bomb went off. Four of the men – Sergeant Michael Winkler (31), Signalman Mark Clavey (24), Lance Corporal Graham Lambie (22), and Corporal William Patterson (22) – were from the Royal Signals, whilst the other two – Corporal Ian Metcalf (36) and Lance Corporal Derek Green (20) – were from the Green Howards and Royal Army Ordnance Corps respectively.. We Will Remember Them
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-ira-bombing-charity-run.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
It seems for some people then that they can do no wrong. Billy McKee died this week and was there at the making of the PIRA. Its noticeably that he is standing outside an RC chapel so does he like Vinney Byrne get forgiveness from the priest? He himself has said he stands by what he did.

Provisional IRA founder Billy McKee defends its worst atrocities including murder of Jean McConville - The Irish News

His funeral took place today. 15/6/2019 and this was a line from the report.

''Mr McKee was also a devout Catholic who went to Mass every day.'' I guess that answers it.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:24 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
I would say this Vector1 you are while I momentarily be gracious (!) really are very naive and that utter keech to use a traditional Scots word on Adams is infantile. Somehow I am automatically bias because I do not follow the blindness of today's wonderful democrats by accepting your would-be modern liberalism that is a nonsense in practical terms. The Province I know practically well have had distant relations there been interviewed on BBCRadio Belfast as well as a long political history here on the mainland in my city. My visits and staying in Ulster has been well over 3 dozen times. Folk like yourself exercising what you regard as that liberalism in fact often adopt a brand of either ignorance or think that attempting to show a wide awareness all prove negative. That utter nonsense on Adams is typical but because anyone has a strong or positive view they are automatically into that bias baloney you label does you no good at all!

Old 06-15-2019, 11:04 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I would say this Vector1 you are while I momentarily be gracious (!) really are very naive and that utter keech to use a traditional Scots word on Adams is infantile. Somehow I am automatically bias because I do not follow the blindness of today's wonderful democrats by accepting your would-be modern liberalism that is a nonsense in practical terms. The Province I know practically well have had distant relations there been interviewed on BBCRadio Belfast as well as a long political history here on the mainland in my city. My visits and staying in Ulster has been well over 3 dozen times. Folk like yourself exercising what you regard as that liberalism in fact often adopt a brand of either ignorance or think that attempting to show a wide awareness all prove negative. That utter nonsense on Adams is typical but because anyone has a strong or positive view they are automatically into that bias baloney you label does you no good at all!
Just the mere fact you cannot bring yourself to grudgingly admit Adams has done some good (aside from all the bad stuff), says a lot about your mindset.
I bet however you might have a nice word or two about someone like Paisley, as he likely echoed some of your own views, right?

So then, what positive steps do you propose to make NI a better place to live with a peaceful future, if you want to cast aside the most prominent and popular Irish Nationalist/Republican as completely evil?
That is not a starting point likely to move the ball down the field.

When discussing integrating schools, the PSNI, public housing, etc., or other ideas such as joining the RoI, a federal type of system via the aforementioned, you seem to have a one tract mind.
If you could see into the future and know in advance the present state of NI under UK rule will never be peaceful, what then?

---

BTW - Assuming you guys across the pond have Fathers Day and celebrate it on the same day we do, I hope everyone has a great one!

`

Old 06-16-2019, 12:12 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
The Shinners have been having a hard time at the ballot box lately.
They lost swathes of councillors in the local elections and are polling poorly nationally.
Whose fault is this ?
Why,the stupid electorate of course.
Here's a delicious rant by one Shinner whose self-pity is almost as bad as her use of apostrophes.
Enjoy.

The People Have Not Voted, The Bastards - TPQ

Old 06-16-2019, 02:13 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Yesterday was the 23rd anniversary of an IRA bomb which ripped through the city of Manchester injuring 212 people.

Jeremy Corbyn's response was to agree to host the launch of Gerry Adams' new book in the Commons. The book included an account of killing a British soldier.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yesterday was the 23rd anniversary of an IRA bomb which ripped through the city of Manchester injuring 212 people.

Jeremy Corbyn's response was to agree to host the launch of Gerry Adams' new book in the Commons. The book included an account of killing a British soldier.

Well it shows Corbyn for what he is but I suppose there are many who already know this. It seems that Irish Republicans can murder and maim all they want and there are those who will still support them. Of course John Ford and others helped in presenting them in a good light. Glory O To the Bold Fenian Men while these bold Fenian men were blowing up old men and children.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...nPgheTHcD5Rrl8

Last edited by Ulsterman; 06-16-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 11:50 AM

How in goodness name can one be slagged for not accepting that Adams has a credit to be lauded. For goodness sake! I take it Vector1 you are from the ex-colonies across the Atlantic?!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 AM

I will passingly control my feelings on Corbyn although his record with the evils who did so much stuff over the Irish Sea is disgraceful. I would in passing add a thought regarding my comment on Blair's disgusting freeing of all those bad terrorists. He was originally Anglican but the influence of his wife got him to change religions and where do all those terrorists come from but the same religious corner. It is high time the British Government stopped this aim at all those men in their 70's who were military decades ago. How balanced can this nonsense be pleasing terror people that Blair did?

Old 06-17-2019, 01:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Today 15th, June 1988

31yrs ago on this day in 1988 in Lisburn town centre cowardly Irish republican terrorists murdered 6 Off Duty British Soldiers after planting a 6lb bomb under an unmarked van they were travelling in after the Soldiers had completed the Lisburn half marathon fun run to raise money for disabled charities .The murdered soldiers were stationed at Ebrington Barracks in Londonderry and were returning to base when the bomb went off. Four of the men – Sergeant Michael Winkler (31), Signalman Mark Clavey (24), Lance Corporal Graham Lambie (22), and Corporal William Patterson (22) – were from the Royal Signals, whilst the other two – Corporal Ian Metcalf (36) and Lance Corporal Derek Green (20) – were from the Green Howards and Royal Army Ordnance Corps respectively.. We Will Remember Them

And in 1972 the British killed 14 Irishmen. Do you remember them as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom