Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times

Advertisements

The Plantation of Ulster (Irish: Plandáil Uladh) was the organised colonisation (or plantation) of Ulster by people from Great Britain (especially Presbyterians from Scotland). Private plantation by wealthy landowners began in 1606,[31][32][33] while the official plantation controlled by King James I of England (who was also King James VI of Scots) began in 1609. All land owned by Irish chieftains, the Ó Neills and Ó Donnells (along with those of their supporters), who fought against the English Crown in the Nine Years War, were confiscated and used to settle the colonists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 02:02 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
And in 1972 the British killed 14 Irishmen. Do you remember them as well?

Certainly there was but these soldiers killed were doing a run in aid of a charity.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The Plantation of Ulster (Irish: Plandáil Uladh) was the organised colonisation (or plantation) of Ulster by people from Great Britain (especially Presbyterians from Scotland). Private plantation by wealthy landowners began in 1606,[31][32][33] while the official plantation controlled by King James I of England (who was also King James VI of Scots) began in 1609. All land owned by Irish chieftains, the Ó Neills and Ó Donnells (along with those of their supporters), who fought against the English Crown in the Nine Years War, were confiscated and used to settle the colonists.

The Homecoming

Return O Tha Exiles

In boats an ships they landed,
Oan an unforgien shore:
Tae till tha lan an break in grun
Lake ther faithers in days o yore.

These fowk wernae planters
Whin aff tha boats they filed
They were comin hame frae Scotland
Whur yinst they'd bin exiled.

But this tim these Dalriadic fowk
Wud naw bae driven oot again,
They were here tae stay in ther faithers lan
Regardless o famine, persecution ir pain.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I will passingly control my feelings on Corbyn although his record with the evils who did so much stuff over the Irish Sea is disgraceful. I would in passing add a thought regarding my comment on Blair's disgusting freeing of all those bad terrorists. He was originally Anglican but the influence of his wife got him to change religions and where do all those terrorists come from but the same religious corner. It is high time the British Government stopped this aim at all those men in their 70's who were military decades ago. How balanced can this nonsense be pleasing terror people that Blair did?
Before I potentially get too far into the weeds with you, let me ask you a couple of simple straight up questions, that will hopefully get simple straight up answers.

1) Do you consider Catholics to be Christians, just as much as whatever denomination you are a member of?

2) Do you feel as if you are biased against Catholics, whether it be the church itself, and/or parishioners in general, and in particular in those NI and/or Scotland?

`

Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Certainly there was but these soldiers killed were doing a run in aid of a charity.
The murderous IRA and their apologists in Sinn Fein would not have let that thought cross their warped minds for a nano-second.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Before I potentially get too far into the weeds with you, let me ask you a couple of simple straight up questions, that will hopefully get simple straight up answers.

1) Do you consider Catholics to be Christians, just as much as whatever denomination you are a member of?

2) Do you feel as if you are biased against Catholics, whether it be the church itself, and/or parishioners in general, and in particular in those NI and/or Scotland?

`
RJ has stated that he's Presbyterian. (The Church of Scotland)

Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The murderous IRA and their apologists in Sinn Fein would not have let that thought cross their warped minds for a nano-second.

True, as long as its in the name of oul oireland then its alright. Talking to a fella today and he was saying about the two far-right guys who got jailed He was saying that was good to see. Of course he's right but I asked how many people they had killed and he said he didn't think they had killed anybody.

So here is the IRA killing over a thousand of people and they get invited to Downing St for talks. A big difference.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
RJ has stated that he's Presbyterian. (The Church of Scotland)
To be perfectly honest, all denominations of Christianity are the same in my eyes, none better or worse. Sure they all have various traditions, customs, rituals, but at the end of the day, they all believe in God and Christ.
I have said for many years I think the sectarianism is but an aspect of the conflict, not the main driver. While I still believe that, it cannot be completely ignored, and does have some contribution.

If we had "holy wars" like in the days of old, I'd bet you find Catholics and Protestants fighting side by side to repel the enemy of whatever religion (or nation representing a non-Christian faith)was trying to take control of their country.

With all that said, I have been detecting what I perceive as religious bias among some of the British/Unionist posters in our discussion. There may be some among the Irish/Nationalist in the discussion as well, but it does not seem as prevalent.
The question is, if such bias exists, does the person expressing it even realize it?
I suspect a decent amount of the problems experienced in NI could be lessened if people were more self aware, and didn't allow such bias to help drive their decision making.
We obviously know one of the most bombastic purveyors of religious bias was Ian Paisley. Yet to his credit he opened his heart and found a way past it.

Half the battle may very well be that people, intelligent as they are, do not recognize it within themselves, because it is much more subtle.

`

Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
To be perfectly honest, all denominations of Christianity are the same in my eyes, none better or worse. Sure they all have various traditions, customs, rituals, but at the end of the day, they all believe in God and Christ.
I have said for many years I think the sectarianism is but an aspect of the conflict, not the main driver. While I still believe that, it cannot be completely ignored, and does have some contribution.

If we had "holy wars" like in the days of old, I'd bet you find Catholics and Protestants fighting side by side to repel the enemy of whatever religion (or nation representing a non-Christian faith)was trying to take control of their country.

With all that said, I have been detecting what I perceive as religious bias among some of the British/Unionist posters in our discussion. There may be some among the Irish/Nationalist in the discussion as well, but it does not seem as prevalent.
The question is, if such bias exists, does the person expressing it even realize it?
I suspect a decent amount of the problems experienced in NI could be lessened if people were more self aware, and didn't allow such bias to help drive their decision making.
We obviously know one of the most bombastic purveyors of religious bias was Ian Paisley. Yet to his credit he opened his heart and found a way past it.

Half the battle may very well be that people, intelligent as they are, do not recognize it within themselves, because it is much more subtle.

`
Northern Ireland is our twin, as a country. I have a protestant cousin who is part of the religious right in the US. I simply can't agree with you.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,569,336 times
Quote:
And in 1972 the British killed 14 Irishmen. Do you remember them as well?

Never forget the million plus Irish citizens that starved to death some 175 years ago due to British mismanagement and indifference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom