Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 03:26 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Maybe you haven't created a very favourable impression.
Nice to see we have multi-cultural yobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hmm, I wonder why the British voted 'leave'?
Sorry to be a bit OT but I think a lot of people voted without understanding the consequences. I don't know why it is but in Britain they don't appear to do a good job with educating their populace about facts at all and their politicians didn't explain the situation either. In fact there was so much scaremongering and outright distortions. I know that in the media before the vote no one even mentioned the Irish border situation and any politicians appeared to think it was a non issue. You might say the British don't care about the Irish border but it has become a major issue now and has been a stumbling block for Britain in regards to going on to the next steps in their negotiations with the EU. Notice that the Scots and Northern Irish did vote to remain.

That is just one issue and there are many others on which most British appeared to be ignorant on.

There is a whole swathe of articles on the topic of how the British populace were woefully uninformed about Brexit and the repercussions.

This is just an article from the Washington Times and one with an opinion from Richard Hawkins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b7509ad50c31

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/77...-ignorant-rant

Also no one generally hates the British and anyway people should inform themselves properly before voting on such an important matter as leaving the EU. It has far reaching repercussions not just for people now but for future generations.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:35 AM

There was more public debate and facts published about Brexit than my other vote in my lifetime.
Both sides made very clear EXACTLY what they predicted the outcome of it to be.
If the Irish government had spent more time discussing the Irish border issue rather than trying to interfere in British politics for purely selfish reasons perhaps it might have got more traction.
But the fact is Northern Ireland does very well out of being in the UK - far more than it could ever do joining up with the south - so a UK-wide vote means the fact the province voted to Remain is immaterial.
Accusations the electorate are too dumb to know what they voted for is always a sign of losers' sour grapes.
And probably the least successful tactic to win round people you disagree with.
The Democrats are still making the same mistake in the US and it's why Trump will win a 2nd term.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Maybe you haven't created a very favourable impression.
Yeah right, 'other' nations don't have football supporters do they? I mean they are obviously far more evil than the Nazis or Stalin right? After all every nation on this earth is full of tree hugging hippies right? You wouldn't get evil b*****ds like the British in ISIS, I bet that kid that's just shot all those kids in school with a loaded assault rifle in Florida was British, if he wasn't it was surely the British to blame for his actions anyway.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Sorry to be a bit OT but I think a lot of people voted without understanding the consequences. I don't know why it is but in Britain they don't appear to do a good job with educating their populace about facts at all and their politicians didn't explain the situation either. In fact there was so much scaremongering and outright distortions. I know that in the media before the vote no one even mentioned the Irish border situation and any politicians appeared to think it was a non issue. You might say the British don't care about the Irish border but it has become a major issue now and has been a stumbling block for Britain in regards to going on to the next steps in their negotiations with the EU. Notice that the Scots and Northern Irish did vote to remain.

That is just one issue and there are many others on which most British appeared to be ignorant on.

There is a whole swathe of articles on the topic of how the British populace were woefully uninformed about Brexit and the repercussions.

This is just an article from the Washington Times and one with an opinion from Richard Hawkins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b7509ad50c31

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/77...-ignorant-rant

Also no one generally hates the British and anyway people should inform themselves properly before voting on such an important matter as leaving the EU. It has far reaching repercussions not just for people now but for future generations.
So now 'the British' aren't intelligent enough to make their own decisions? Leaving the EU was the best decision 'the British' have made for decades and yet its supposed to be because we don't know what we are doing and didn't 'inform ourselves properly'!? Have you thought that perhaps (horror of horrors) you are wrong and 'we' are right? Time will tell. Also while we are at it let me point something else out - Brexit was NOT all about hatred of 'Johnny Foreigner', it is FAR more complex than that, I voted out so now I am supposed to be some kind of immigrant hating Nazi right!? SOME of the Scots also voted leave, one doesn't just 'count' the votes on a regional level to suit one's agenda! The arrogance of (some) 'remainers' is incredible.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 AM

1,285 posts, read 591,996 times
Quote:
Yeah right, 'other' nations don't have football supporters do they?
Oh they do, universally welcomed and loved.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ro-match-video

Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
There was more public debate and facts published about Brexit than my other vote in my lifetime.
Both sides made very clear EXACTLY what they predicted the outcome of it to be.
If the Irish government had spent more time discussing the Irish border issue rather than trying to interfere in British politics for purely selfish reasons perhaps it might have got more traction.
But the fact is Northern Ireland does very well out of being in the UK - far more than it could ever do joining up with the south - so a UK-wide vote means the fact the province voted to Remain is immaterial.
Accusations the electorate are too dumb to know what they voted for is always a sign of losers' sour grapes.
And probably the least successful tactic to win round people you disagree with.
The Democrats are still making the same mistake in the US and it's why Trump will win a 2nd term.
"The fact the province voted to Remain is immaterial" you say. That's a very arrogant statement. The facts are that Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland and shares a land border with the Irish Republic. Both sides of the border don't want a hard border so either Britain remains in the Customs Union or there will be a hard border. If there is a hard border it is going to make a lot of people not very happy. It will be interesting to see how this issue is solved because a hard border flies in the face of the Good Friday Agreement. Obviously that is "immaterial" to you but it is very short sighted and despite what you say it will create problems. No intelligent person would sweep this issue under the carpet.

The border issue is an important British issue so why are you putting it on the Irish government to discuss the border when it is a British issue as well and it was the British people that were voting? What influence would the Irish government have on the British public? The Irish government would have been talking with their British counterparts about the issue well before Brexit. Brexit after all is a British policy and not an Irish one. It is just a fact that it will have big repercussions for the whole of Ireland.

Apparently the British government doesn't always communicate with the Irish government despite the fact that the Irish wants communication.

Quote:
Even before Brexit and under various UK prime ministers, although British-Irish intergovernmental cooperation thrived, UK government complacency about Northern Ireland seemed to exist. For example, former Prime Minister David Cameron announced the referendum date as June 23rd, despite unionist and nationalist calls for a different date that would not clash with the Northern Ireland Assembly election campaign. Similarly, neither Gordon Brown, former Labour party leader, nor David Cameron attended the GFA’s British-Irish Council meetings, but the Irish Taoiseach always attended.

The problem posed by Brexit is that the less frequently the UK government communicates with the Irish government in any decisions of relevance to Northern Ireland and Ireland and the more it appears to discount Northern Ireland’s post-conflict status, the more tension is brought to bare on the British-Irish relationship. To date, any potential tensions have been managed smoothly, but it is noteworthy that in April 2017, the then Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade in Ireland, Charlie O’Flanagan, openly criticised the UK government for not engaging properly with the EU in Brexit negotiations and for not communicating adequately with the Irish government. This public, albeit tame, criticism marked a break with the recent history of British-Irish relations and reflected the Irish government’s wish to negotiate as an EU partner and not to take sides with the UK.
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/0...ish-relations/

I mean people can put the blame on others all they like but this is Britain's choice and if they don't want to keep damaging relationships with their neighbours in Europe and Ireland they need to start being realistic about how they are going to work the border issue out. It is their choice if they choose a hard Brexit but this will have repercussions for their closest neighbour and themselves as well. The Irish are in the EU but Britain voted to leave. Now they have to face the reality that if they have a hard Brexit there will be a hard border and no one can really predict what will happen then. Many people say it could lead to violence breaking out. People can ignore this but that would be risky. It will also break the Good Friday Agreement. People in Britain might take it lightly what their decision to leave Brexit will have on the island of Ireland but it will ultimately affect them as well.

This is not the only issue around Brexit either but it will need to be solved before other issues can be discussed. There is also Gibraltar and they also voted by 97% to remain in the EU because otherwise they will be isolated as they border Europe not Britain. While Britain was in the EU this all didn't matter and I doubt the British public gave it much thought at all when they voted to leave the EU.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Oh they do, universally welcomed and loved.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ro-match-video
So there is absolutely no hooliganism or racism amongst any nations football 'supporters' apart from the British right? And if there are then it is so obviously the fault of the British no doubt, after all everybody in this world are peace loving, tree loving hippies yeah? That seems to be the gist of what I'm reading. Just perhaps I am sick and tired of our Celtic 'cousins' blaming the British (usually mean the English) for everything, I am sick and tired of our European 'cousins' constantly taking the moral high ground so I for one welcome Brexit with open arms, I also hope and pray the Scots gain 'independence' so the age old story of blaming the English for everything can hopefully and finally be put to rest (though I won't hold my breath), its time people like yourself removed the (quite frankly) ridiculous chips from your shoulders and accepted that blaming the British (though usually that means the 'English') for all your woes and started taking responsibility for yourselves.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
"The fact the province voted to Remain is immaterial" you say. That's a very arrogant statement. The facts are that Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland and shares a land border with the Irish Republic. Both sides of the border don't want a hard border so either Britain remains in the Customs Union or there will be a hard border. If there is a hard border it is going to make a lot of people not very happy. It will be interesting to see how this issue is solved because a hard border flies in the face of the Good Friday Agreement. Obviously that is "immaterial" to you but it is very short sighted and despite what you say it will create problems. No intelligent person would sweep this issue under the carpet.

The border issue is an important British issue so why are you putting it on the Irish government to discuss the border when it is a British issue as well and it was the British people that were voting? What influence would the Irish government have on the British public? The Irish government would have been talking with their British counterparts about the issue well before Brexit. Brexit after all is a British policy and not an Irish one. It is just a fact that it will have big repercussions for the whole of Ireland.

Apparently the British government doesn't always communicate with the Irish government despite the fact that the Irish wants communication.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/0...ish-relations/

I mean people can put the blame on others all they like but this is Britain's choice and if they don't want to keep damaging relationships with their neighbours in Europe and Ireland they need to start being realistic about how they are going to work the border issue out. It is their choice if they choose a hard Brexit but this will have repercussions for their closest neighbour and themselves as well. The Irish are in the EU but Britain voted to leave. Now they have to face the reality that if they have a hard Brexit there will be a hard border and no one can really predict what will happen then. Many people say it could lead to violence breaking out. People can ignore this but that would be risky. It will also break the Good Friday Agreement. People in Britain might take it lightly what their decision to leave Brexit will have on the island of Ireland but it will ultimately affect them as well.

This is not the only issue around Brexit either but it will need to be solved before other issues can be discussed. There is also Gibraltar and they also voted by 97% to remain in the EU because otherwise they will be isolated as they border Europe not Britain. While Britain was in the EU this all didn't matter and I doubt the British public gave it much thought at all when they voted to leave the EU.

Okay,he said wearily,lets do this one more time.
The UK ( which includes Northern ireland ) has voted for Brexit.
This means leaving the Single Market and Customs Union.Everyone was told that very explicitly at the time of the referendum.
With a trade agreement it is possible to be out of both and still not have a Hard Border.
It is not the job of British politicians to concern themselves about the consequences of Brexit on Ireland.They are elected by UK citizens and their first duty is to them.
Northern Ireland is but one constituent of the United Kingdom.The fact that Northern Ireland voted to Remain does not make a jot of difference to the way Brexit is being negotiated.If you enjoy the benefits of the rest of the UK then you abide by the democratic vote of the rest of it.
Perhaps if Ireland showed a little more support to its neighbour which helped bail it out when the country went bankrupt in 2008 instead of grandstanding in Europe there might be a little more sympathy towards it.
Irish politicians really aren't the smartest but then there isn't much of a gene pool - if they try to obstruct negotiations and there is a Hard Brexit then Ireland stands to lose more than anyone.Even at this stage this doesn't appear to have dawned on them.
Ireland thinks the EU cares about it.It really doesn't.Not in the slightest.Once Ireland has served its purpose as a useful negotiating tool it'll be back as Merkel's lapdog.
Ultimately agreement between Britain,France and Germany will produce an 11th-hour deal which will save face for everyone.
The small fry,like Ireland,Malta and the rest of the bottom-feeders will simply fall into line when they're told.
Welcome to European politics baby.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So there is absolutely no hooliganism or racism amongst any nations football 'supporters' apart from the British right? And if there are then it is so obviously the fault of the British no doubt, after all everybody in this world are peace loving, tree loving hippies yeah? That seems to be the gist of what I'm reading. Just perhaps I am sick and tired of our Celtic 'cousins' blaming the British (usually mean the English) for everything, I am sick and tired of our European 'cousins' constantly taking the moral high ground so I for one welcome Brexit with open arms, I also hope and pray the Scots gain 'independence' so the age old story of blaming the English for everything can hopefully and finally be put to rest (though I won't hold my breath), its time people like yourself removed the (quite frankly) ridiculous chips from your shoulders and accepted that blaming the British (though usually that means the 'English') for all your woes and started taking responsibility for yourselves.
Back of the net.
England has been breast-feeding these hangers-on throughout history.
Fact is the Scots didn't have the guts to vote for independence because they know their lifestyle is funded by the wealthier and more successful English part of the union.
The Irish are basically glorified pig-farmers who worked out there was money to be made by being a tax shelter for large multi-nationals.
Successive Irish governments have destroyed their own economy and Britain has picked up the debris - their unemployed - every time.
The current SNP government in Scotland is making an equally cack-handed job of ruining their economy.
No doubt we'll have to bail them out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom