Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 01:17 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times

Advertisements

In terms of lifestyle, culture, fashion, and politics the UK is far more like the continent then like America. At least from my own personal experience traveling there. But, I think it has a lot to do with class. The British middle class have always had a strange relationship with continent and constantly look for their approval. The working class on the other hand doesn't seem to care too much about the continent and may look toward the states more. I also feel like the old money in Britain had a lot more ties with America then the educated middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 01:54 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Crime rates are higher in the UK than the US, particularly in London. The US has a higher murder rate but that's about it. I'm not sure where people get this idea that America has really high crime rates. Culturally, I'd say the UK and US are more similar. TV shows, music, drinking culture, humour, etc. How many European bands, films, TV shows are popular in the UK vs American ones? Not many.
Crime rates are very low in the UK compared to the US - where did you get that from?

There are thousands of gun related deaths in the US each year - we average less than 50/year in the UK!

When it comes to music and film then I agree - but that is mostly because of language. In Europe, a large proportion of films and tv shows are British/American but dubbed into their own language.

When it comes to way of life, I think that UK is certainly more similar to Europe.. I have lived in France and it was almost identical.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
In terms of lifestyle, culture, fashion, and politics the UK is far more like the continent then like America. At least from my own personal experience traveling there. But, I think it has a lot to do with class. The British middle class have always had a strange relationship with continent and constantly look for their approval. The working class on the other hand doesn't seem to care too much about the continent and may look toward the states more. I also feel like the old money in Britain had a lot more ties with America then the educated middle class.

How so?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
How so?
Mainly through intermarriage. It was very common in the Gilded Age and often after for American socialites and heiresses to marry into British Noble families. For Example:

Winston Churchill's mother was from a wealthy American family. Yes Churchill was half Yank, explains the tenacity and toughness.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:20 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
Quote:
Mainly through intermarriage. It was very common in the Gilded Age and often after for American socialites and heiresses to marry into British Noble families. For Example:

Winston Churchill's mother was from a wealthy American family. Yes Churchill was half Yank, explains the tenacity and toughness.
You initially said that the old money in Britain had a lot more ties with America then the educated middle class.

That may have been the case in the past but I'd suggest that the middle classes have greater connections with the US these days with so many people working for multi national companies, often as ex pats.

Oh, and tenacity and toughness are not peculiar to just Americans.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
You initially said that the old money in Britain had a lot more ties with America then the educated middle class.

That may have been the case in the past but I'd suggest that the middle classes have greater connections with the US these days with so many people working for multi national companies, often as ex pats.

Oh, and tenacity and toughness are not peculiar to just Americans.
What you said may be true. Yet its also the middle class in the UK that seem to have the most animosity toward Americans. From my own personal experiences. That being said, the UK is far more like Europe then like America in every way except for language.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 AM

577 posts, read 670,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Crime rates are very low in the UK compared to the US - where did you get that from?

Wrong. Violent crime rate in England and Wales is about 7 per 1,000 people, in the US it's 3.9. So nearly twice as high in England and Wales (and that doesn't even include Scotland, which would bring the rate way up) In NYC it's 3.9. In London it's 9.5.

The robbery rate in London is about 4.5 per 1,000 people. In the US overall it's about 1.1. In NYC it's 1.4.

Crime in London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The murder rate in America is higher (about 4.7 per 100,000 vs 1 for the UK) but most of those murders take place in the worst areas, between rival gang members and/or in relation to drugs. If you're not involved with those types you're no more likely to be murdered in the US than the UK.

Statistics aside, I've lived in the US for over 10 years and the UK the rest of the time, and I witness more violent/anti-social behaviour in the UK.

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:

Are you suggesting that Americans are particularly 'tough' or that Britons are particularly not!! lol

Old 06-09-2015, 09:08 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Wrong. Violent crime rate in England and Wales is about 7 per 1,000 people, in the US it's 3.9. So nearly twice as high in England and Wales (and that doesn't even include Scotland, which would bring the rate way up) In NYC it's 3.9. In London it's 9.5.

The robbery rate in London is about 4.5 per 1,000 people. In the US overall it's about 1.1. In NYC it's 1.4.

Crime in London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The murder rate in America is higher (about 4.7 per 100,000 vs 1 for the UK) but most of those murders take place in the worst areas, between rival gang members and/or in relation to drugs. If you're not involved with those types you're no more likely to be murdered in the US than the UK.

Statistics aside, I've lived in the US for over 10 years and the UK the rest of the time, and I witness more violent/anti-social behaviour in the UK.
There are around 30 people shot to death in the US EVERY DAY (murdered), there are around 40 in the UK every YEAR, to suggest that the UK crime rate is worse is laughable based on this alone, verbally abused and possibly punched or shot to death by a firearm - I know which I would prefer to suffer.

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 AM

577 posts, read 670,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There are around 30 people shot to death in the US EVERY DAY (murdered), there are around 40 in the UK every YEAR, to suggest that the UK crime rate is worse is laughable based on this alone, verbally abused and possibly punched or shot to death by a firearm - I know which I would prefer to suffer.
I've lived in the US over 10 years, in one of the highest murder cities, and I've never even seen a gun outside a shooting range or on a cop's holster. Violent crime is very easy to avoid in America unless you're living in the ghetto. Unlike England where everyone is mixed together so you can't even go out for a drink on a weekend night without seeing some drunk tools swinging their fists about.

Anyway, the statistics speak for themselves. Crime is a lot higher in the UK. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom