Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Just to clarify; I had acknowledged that earlier. Violent crime is still higher in the UK even when you include like for like comparisons.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...her-violent-c/

England and Wales, produced a rate of 775 violent crimes per 100,000 people. The United States was a rate of 383 violent crimes per 100,000 people.

This calculation suggests that there is a higher rate of crime in England and Wales, but the discrepancy is not anywhere near as wide as the ones often cited
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The reality is that thousands of people in the US are shot to death every year.......thousands, that means that thousands of family members also suffer, if you think that is trivial then I really don't know what to say! I don't suggest that 'everybody' in the US is in imminent danger of being gunned down but by the same token to suggest that you can't go out for a drink in the UK without being 'spat at' is equally as ludicrous.

Yes, that is correct. The thousands you refer to are incorporated into the statistics above. The point is about overall violent crime in the two countries. The link above is the reality you need to accept - agreed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:26 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Yes, that is correct. The thousands you refer to are incorporated into the statistics above. The point is about overall violent crime in the two countries. The link above is the reality you need to accept - agreed?
The reality is you are more likely to get murdered in the USA a LOT more likely, this is the reality. Personally I wouldn't say that somebody calling me names is a crime, lets get real here - two young British men were shot to death in Miami recently for wandering into 'the wrong neighbourhood', something that tourists and locals alike are told to avoid, how many Americans have lost their lives in the UK by wandering into 'the wrong neighbourhood'? that's right none because there is no such thing in UK cities, there are not any no go areas for tourists or locals alike in London, on this basis which is safer London or Miami? London methinks - agreed?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
The reality is you are more likely to get murdered in the USA a LOT more likely, this is the reality. Personally I wouldn't say that somebody calling me names is a crime, lets get real here - two young British men were shot to death in Miami recently for wandering into 'the wrong neighbourhood', something that tourists and locals alike are told to avoid, how many Americans have lost their lives in the UK by wandering into 'the wrong neighbourhood'? that's right none because there is no such thing in UK cities, there are not any no go areas for tourists or locals alike in London, on this basis which is safer London or Miami? London methinks - agreed?

I think you're incapable of logical conversation. What on earth has "name calling" got to do with this discussion? As pointed out continuously on this thread, and in the link I posted, violent crime is higher in the UK than the US - that is a fact, and therefore not up for debate. You can point to certain parts of the US and claim, correctly, that they have higher rates of crime than an area of the UK, but that is not even relevant in the larger point. Given that logic I'll go ahead and point out that Milwaukee is safer than Liverpool, or that Laguna Beach is infinitely safer than Moss Side, or that Bangor is safer than Liverpool, and on and on...

Given that the posters on here who have lived in several places in both countries (not you of course) have experiences that reinforce the statistics, you don't really have much of a point do you?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I think you're incapable of logical conversation. What on earth has "name calling" got to do with this discussion? As pointed out continuously on this thread, and in the link I posted, violent crime is higher in the UK than the US - that is a fact, and therefore not up for debate. You can point to certain parts of the US and claim, correctly, that they have higher rates of crime than an area of the UK, but that is not even relevant in the larger point. Given that logic I'll go ahead and point out that Milwaukee is safer than Liverpool, or that Laguna Beach is infinitely safer than Moss Side, or that Bangor is safer than Liverpool, and on and on...

Given that the posters on here who have lived in several places in both countries (not you of course) have experiences that reinforce the statistics, you don't really have much of a point do you?
Look if you can't see the difference between what is considered violent crime in the UK compared to the USA then I really don't know what to say, the FACT is you are FAR more likely to be murdered in the USA therefore you are safer in the UK its perfectly simple. Perhaps I could get back to you if I'm ever spat at or hell even punched and get a bloody nose and you can get back to me if you're ever shot to death.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify; I had acknowledged that earlier. Violent crime is still higher in the UK even when you include like for like comparisons.

Social media post says U.K. has far higher violent crime rate than U.S. does | PolitiFact

England and Wales, produced a rate of 775 violent crimes per 100,000 people. The United States was a rate of 383 violent crimes per 100,000 people.

This calculation suggests that there is a higher rate of crime in England and Wales, but the discrepancy is not anywhere near as wide as the ones often cited
Quote:

Quote:
Look if you can't see the difference between what is considered violent crime in the UK compared to the USA then I really don't know what to say, the FACT is you are FAR more likely to be murdered in the USA therefore you are safer in the UK its perfectly simple. Perhaps I could get back to you if I'm ever spat at or hell even punched and get a bloody nose and you can get back to me if you're ever shot to death.

I am only going to clarify this for you one more time. After that, I am going to write you off as someone who will just never get it.

The link I posted above (and again here Social media post says U.K. has far higher violent crime rate than U.S. does | PolitiFact) does actually compare "like for like" violent crime. You're right about one thing (and one thing only), that the homicide rate is higher in the US than the UK overall (a point that nobody has been arguing about since this conversation started), but stating that you're "safer" in the UK is smack in the face of the facts.

Hopefully you get it now. If not, I won't be explaining it again.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I don't know how to explain this well.. I have lived in the USA for 45 years. I have seen guns. I was in the marines and my brother was a cop on the swat team. I have never actually seen a gun in a civilians hands. Aside of my brother I don't know anyone IRL who owns a gun. They are just not a part of daily life here and I have lived all over the USA. That said, I feel safer in inner cities in Europe than in the USA.

Do I worry about encountering a gun in daily life. No.

I've never seen a robbery either. Canada has similar levels of gun ownerships and less gun violence. The problem is far far deeper than gun ownership. Sad to say that most deaths by guns occur in certain areas. When gun violence comes to the burbs and the nice neighborhoods, maybe things will change.
Why would gun violence come to the burbs? If the factors that drive gun violence aren't present in an area, then violence rarely shows up.

The "War on Drugs" is a huge factor in gun deaths in the U.S. and minorities (especially blacks) in bad neighborhoods are very affected by the fallout, and they are incarcerated in greater numbers. Blacks commit murder at a rate 8 times higher than whites, and it's usually with a gun. The high profit from illegal drugs drives competition and violence.

However, it doesn't touch the average citizen living in middle-class neighborhoods.

I live in the mountains in Georgia, north of Atlanta. It is overwhelmingly white. The locals here are armed to the teeth because they hunt. We have just about the lowest murder rate in the country. There are usually zero murders most years. And crime in general is only petty stuff. Very little aggression. Fruit and vegetable stands leave their produce out all night and no one steals it.

People need to understand that places in the U.S. are not remotely uniform as far as safety.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 PM

112 posts, read 112,082 times
Having lived in the UK for 40 years and the USA for 10 years the difference is if you go for a night out in the UK you might lose a couple of teeth. In the USA you might lose your life. Life is cheap in the States.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCB View Post
Having lived in the UK for 40 years and the USA for 10 years the difference is if you go for a night out in the UK you might lose a couple of teeth. In the USA you might lose your life. Life is cheap in the States.
Exactly! Is it also true that there are parts of the Subway system in New York that need to be avoided? Parts of other cities in the US that are 'no go areas' for tourists? Such things don't exist in the UK, you can ride the tube to any station without fear of being in 'the wrong part of town', nobody is suggesting that the UK is some sort of crime free utopia and the reality is that being murdered in either country is still unlikely to happen but the fact is you are less likely to get killed on the city streets in the UK (particularly shot).

Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 AM

504 posts, read 465,370 times
Quote:
You're just spouting for the sake of it. Naked statistics do not tell the true story. Remove the gang/drug/ghetto shootings in the US and I'd wager the chances of a law abiding citizen staying in reasonably "safe" areas is pretty much the same in both countries. Sad to say, but being white probably helps.

The image of America being a very violent country is real. In reality, the violence is mainly concentrated in very specific areas. The proliferation of guns is a significant factor, for sure, but a very large amount of homicides caused by shooting are restricted to particular demographic. Take Baltimore for example, currently top of the homicide charts. 43 murders in May, in a city about the same size of Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Utterly incredible. Look at who shot who, and where, and you will see why those living in the minority of the city that isn't ghetto feel perfectly safe. The rough parts of American cities are rougher than their British counterparts, but decent folk avoid either.

I've lived in London 38 years and have been mugged once, burgled once, and had one car stolen. A lot of burglary going on in my (very middle class) neighbourhood presently, and I'm glad we have an alarm. A drug dealer was shot in the face whilst waiting in his car in the early hours by the green a few weeks ago - drove right across it and down the High St before he passed out. And a teacher in Bradford is currently recovering in hospital after being stabbed by a 14 year old.

America has a problem with too many guns and a minority of police who overstep the mark. The UK has a problem with stabbing in youth gangs, widespread burglary and a ineffectual judiciary.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:19 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Why would gun violence come to the burbs? If the factors that drive gun violence aren't present in an area, then violence rarely shows up.

The "War on Drugs" is a huge factor in gun deaths in the U.S. and minorities (especially blacks) in bad neighborhoods are very affected by the fallout, and they are incarcerated in greater numbers. Blacks commit murder at a rate 8 times higher than whites, and it's usually with a gun. The high profit from illegal drugs drives competition and violence.

However, it doesn't touch the average citizen living in middle-class neighborhoods.

I live in the mountains in Georgia, north of Atlanta. It is overwhelmingly white. The locals here are armed to the teeth because they hunt. We have just about the lowest murder rate in the country. There are usually zero murders most years. And crime in general is only petty stuff. Very little aggression. Fruit and vegetable stands leave their produce out all night and no one steals it.

People need to understand that places in the U.S. are not remotely uniform as far as safety.
You're right. That's sort of what I was getting at. when there is a horrible killing in a nice suburd it is suddently "time to do something about guns". When there are constant killings in the inner city, you hear very little. I'm calling my side oft he political spectrum out here. My point is, we only talk about guns as a problem when it's hits suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom