Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 06:57 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Because I guess Jay has British/Irish DNA, ancestry and he has an interest and connection with the Uk; is no different to an African American sharing a deep interest, love and connection to an African culture. DNA and a love of a culture are definitely connected otherwise we are all just goldfish.
But African-Americans in general do not have a deep interest, love, and connection to African culture, but far more to British culture. If given a choice of only London or Accra, most African-Americans would choose London. DNA matters hardly at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 AM

577 posts, read 670,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I have not experienced a burglary or attempted burglary, neither has anybody in my family, nor any of my close friends, as a boy I remember some pikeys turned up and nicked a neighbours lawn mower from their shed but that's about it, I don't know anybody that has been mugged apart from one of my old teachers at school and he was mugged in the US (that doesn't make me stupid enough to claim that everybody gets mugged in the US either). Gun crime is not just statistically 'rarer' in the UK than the US its HUGELY SUBSTANTIALLY rarer, there are literally thousands of people shot to death in the US every year its actually a shocking statistic yet we are still supposed to believe that its 'safer' on the streets there than here?
Yes it is safer for the vast majority of people, because most gun crime only affects a very narrow demographic.

America does have a gun problem. Does it directly affect most law-abiding citizens? No. I've known hundreds of people in the US over the course of 11 years and not a single one has been shot.

Also, looking at the US as a whole is utterly ridiculous because it varies wildly even just in small cities, let alone different states. You're more likely to be shot dead in Manchester than you are in Gilbert, Arizona, for instance. But you're going to tell me that just because a person living in Gilbert is living in the US that they're less safe?

You yourself have said that you've never been the victim of crime, despite living in a country with a relatively high crime rate. So why shouldn't the same apply in the US?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 AM

112 posts, read 112,146 times
I have seen Guns drawn in a little petrol station in Townsville North Carolina over an argument over the price of a pack of cigarettes. My wife used to work in a supermarket and the jilted boyfriend of my wifes colleague decided to shoot his ex and a few of her workmates. I watch the local new here in North Carolina and their are shootings every day. I dont remember any of that in Dorset.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:17 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Yes it is safer for the vast majority of people, because most gun crime only affects a very narrow demographic.

America does have a gun problem. Does it directly affect most law-abiding citizens? No. I've known hundreds of people in the US over the course of 11 years and not a single one has been shot.

Also, looking at the US as a whole is utterly ridiculous because it varies wildly even just in small cities, let alone different states. You're more likely to be shot dead in Manchester than you are in Gilbert, Arizona, for instance. But you're going to tell me that just because a person living in Gilbert is living in the US that they're less safe?

You yourself have said that you've never been the victim of crime, despite living in a country with a relatively high crime rate. So why shouldn't the same apply in the US?

I agree, but you're wasting your time. That poster ignores reality, posts that don't support their argument, and focuses purely on their own opinions.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:21 AM

577 posts, read 670,278 times
Quote:
I have seen Guns drawn in a little petrol station in Townsville North Carolina over an argument over the price of a pack of cigarettes. My wife used to work in a supermarket and the jilted boyfriend of my wifes colleague decided to shoot his ex and a few of her workmates. I watch the local new here in North Carolina and their are shootings every day. I dont remember any of that in Dorset.
Maybe because Townsville is in area of the US with a very high crime rate? It's just north of Henderson, which has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago and New York combined.

Although it should be noted that the total crime rate in Dorset is twice as high as New York (46 vs 22 per 1000 people) so it's hardly a utopia either.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:32 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Actually its not an issue if they were being disruptive. It seems now that police over there can't touch a black person before we hear crying and whinning.

Thats BAD, it's like black people cry wolf at the ity bity things. And yes its similar here, you can't say anything constantly playing the victim.

I disagree with this completely. That cop is totally out of control, and a danger to society (the complete opposite of what cops are actually for). The question international observers will ask is "why can't a cop control or respond to a minor disturbance without waving a gun around"? Cops in every other developed country manage to handle things without threatening to blow someone's head off right?

Not all cops are bad. Most do a courageous and dangerous job. This particular guy is a tool that should be off the force pronto.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:36 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
I have not experienced a burglary or attempted burglary, neither has anybody in my family, nor any of my close friends, as a boy I remember some pikeys turned up and nicked a neighbours lawn mower from their shed but that's about it, I don't know anybody that has been mugged apart from one of my old teachers at school and he was mugged in the US (that doesn't make me stupid enough to claim that everybody gets mugged in the US either).
Then you my friend must be incredibly lucky or living in isolation. In your entire existence you personally do not know anyone who was burgled ever, that's what you're saying, no one mugged or assaulted in the UK either. I don't know how that possible, given I've lived in the North East, South West, South East, and London in England, and every few weeks to a month I'd hear about someone being rolled, or burgled.

However assuming you're correct, it goes to prove how personal experience and anecdote is not a good basis for evaluating anything important. You have to look at numbers, and look at general numbers not focus on any specific aspect.

Quote:
Gun crime is not just statistically 'rarer' in the UK than the US its HUGELY SUBSTANTIALLY rarer, there are literally thousands of people shot to death in the US every year its actually a shocking statistic yet we are still supposed to believe that its 'safer' on the streets there than here?
So what? It's also hugely substantially rarer than the risk of being killed in a car accident, does that mean you don't drive? Sure the US has higher gun crime rates, because we have more guns owned by the population, more guns means more chances to commit acts which are prohibited, like carrying a loaded firearm in a car in certain states not because someone plans on using it, but just coming back from a shooting range.

As far as being safer, in 2010 Wyoming, Idaho, North Dakota, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire had lower homicide rates than London (London was 1.5/100,000), so yes in those places it is indeed safer (from a homicide perspective) than London. In that year New Hampshire had the same homicide rate as the UK too (1.0/100,000). So like anywhere else it depends on where you live.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:42 PM

861 posts, read 852,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Then you my friend must be incredibly lucky or living in isolation. In your entire existence you personally do not know anyone who was burgled ever, that's what you're saying, no one mugged or assaulted in the UK either. I don't know how that possible, given I've lived in the North East, South West, South East, and London in England, and every few weeks to a month I'd hear about someone being rolled, or burgled.

However assuming you're correct, it goes to prove how personal experience and anecdote is not a good basis for evaluating anything important. You have to look at numbers, and look at general numbers not focus on any specific aspect.

So what? It's also hugely substantially rarer than the risk of being killed in a car accident, does that mean you don't drive? Sure the US has higher gun crime rates, because we have more guns owned by the population, more guns means more chances to commit acts which are prohibited, like carrying a loaded firearm in a car in certain states not because someone plans on using it, but just coming back from a shooting range.

As far as being safer, in 2010 Wyoming, Idaho, North Dakota, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire had lower homicide rates than London (London was 1.5/100,000), so yes in those places it is indeed safer (from a homicide perspective) than London. In that year New Hampshire had the same homicide rate as the UK too (1.0/100,000). So like anywhere else it depends on where you live.
For the first time I am seeing Gungnir going off topic... LOL

I still think the US is more violent especially in the real bad neighborhoods. Almost every year a poor Brit winds up dead because he or she decided to take a stroll in the wrong part of town..

Old 06-10-2015, 01:54 PM

112 posts, read 112,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
For the first time I am seeing Gungnir going off topic... LOL

I still think the US is more violent especially in the real bad neighborhoods. Almost every year a poor Brit winds up dead because he or she decided to take a stroll in the wrong part of town..
Much like the two British guys in Sarasota Florida a couple of years ago.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:07 PM

861 posts, read 852,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCB View Post
Much like the two British guys in Sarasota Florida a couple of years ago.
Yup I remember that one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom