Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:57 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I do believe in karma. And what those two did to our countries means that if there's any shred of justice, they're in their very own little corner of hell, together.
Indeed! A idolized pair of jerkwads each with an ego as big as all outdoors, and both with economic recession looming big on their records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
I just got an unsigned rep. It said, '....but the Muslims, are YOUR Muslims, and they will keep coming.'

Don't you think I know that? But the EU immigrants are not ours, and they will keep coming if we don't leave the EU.

We have enough problems with 'our' Muslims, and don't need Europe's flotsam and jetsam.

They're only 'our' Muslims, because 'our' governments allowed them to come. The ordinary people didn't want them either.

We were ignored on that issue, but refuse to be ignored any more. We got a vote, and we want the result of the vote carried out.

There's your answer. Next time you send a rep sign your name. Don't worry, I don't bite.

Last edited by English Dave; 02-27-2019 at 12:04 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 11:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Indeed! A idolized pair of jerkwads each with an ego as big as all outdoors, and both with economic recession looming big on their records.
They both blamed unions for their recessions and both went after them. Here, Reagan managed to do it when he went after the air traffic controllers. They both took the teeth out of the unions and workers never recovered.

We hadn't had massive numbers of homeless families since the Depression, until Reagan.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:07 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I do believe in karma. And what those two did to our countries means that if there's any shred of justice, they're in their very own little corner of hell, together.
Margaret Thatcher revolutionised Great Britain,ending forever the power of union barons to decide the fate of the country.
Her de-regulation of the City made it the economic powerhouse that drives the country today.
She also enabled huge numbers of people to buy their own homes who previously wouldn't have been able to afford to.
Without Thatcher Britain wouldn't be the successful country that it is today.
You've only got to look across the water to France to see what might have been.
Thatcher and Reagan were the pre-eminent world leaders of the late 20th century and Britain's relationship with the US has never been bettered since.
You need to brush up on your history old sport.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Margaret Thatcher revolutionised Great Britain,ending forever the power of union barons to decide the fate of the country.
Her de-regulisation of the City made it the economic powerhouse that drives the country today.
Thatcher and Reagan were the pre-eminent world leaders of the late 20th century.
Sorry, but I don't need to brush up on history. I was in my 20s and 30s and working. I lived through it. I was in a union and I saw the damage that it did to real live working people, in the US and saw that Thatcher was doing the same in the UK.

I grew up when a lot of people still used coal to heat their homes. It meant something when the coal miners in the US and Wales went on strike.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Her de-regulation of the City made it the economic powerhouse that drives the country today.
She also enabled huge numbers of people to buy their own homes who previously wouldn't have been able to afford to.
Thatcher and Reagan were the pre-eminent world leaders of the late 20th century and Britain's relationship with the US has never been bettered since.
She was a b**** Roscoe. A tough old b****. I wish we had her now dealing with the EU. Never thought I'd say that.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:24 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I talk of Oldham, because even though I left there almost 20 years ago, it owns my heart, and to see what has happened to it breaks it. The people of Oldham, like many other places round the country, voted to leave the EU, because they don't feel they have anything to lose. They feel they have been ignored for decades. That's why they voted to leave the EU....... a feeling of nothing to lose, and they want what they voted for.
That's the thing though, they do have plenty to lose, if you look at 90% of countries around the world their poorest communities are much worse off than Oldham. And with the economic hit that Brexit is going to cause then there will be fewer jobs, less money to spend on benefits or the NHS, and that's going to hit poor people in places like Oldham, it isn't going to be Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage who take the hit, they will just move their money out of the country.

UK migration policy is absolutely nothing to do with the EU, even the EU migration could have been slowed if the UK government had wanted to, the British government invited commonwealth workers to come in the post war era to ease labour shortages in industry. The decline of heavy industry is nothing to do with the EU either, nor is the fact that the UK government hasn't invested in some regions as much as others, or the fact that many communities don't seem to value education and work as much as they should. In some industrial towns I've been to its pretty much only the Polish delis etc that have been filling the gaps on the High St, chase those out too and they are going to decline further. East Europeans in the UK have pretty much the highest employment rates of any group, so your fake gold selling gypsy is far from being the typical picture of East Europeans in Britain. Pretty much all of them that I know are nice, hard working, intelligent people who are contributing taxes to the pot while hardly using many public services, they are young so don't use the NHS much, they don't get paid pensions. It has been truly sickening to see the scapegoating of these people by many elements of the Brexit supporters, even to the level of physical attacks and abuse in the street.

The tabloid newspaper barons have spent the last 30 years drip feeding a narrative that the EU is to blame for all the problems of places like Oldham when in fact it isn't, if people think things are bad now then I'm afraid to say they are about to get a whole lot worse, but that's what they have voted for so no room for complaint I guess.

Last edited by MnM258; 02-27-2019 at 01:37 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 01:25 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If you don't live in the country then you shouldn't have a say in how the country is run........and that means YOU! Why should you decide on my future when you don't even live here! We don't want to be in the EU and that is a democratic decision that has been made, its nothing to do with you, you have made your bed 'over there' so now you can lie in it, we all know why you don't like it, we all know why the BBC don't like it, the 'I'm alright Jack' attitude of the 'ruling classes' living off the backs of the working classes is FINALLY coming back to bite them in the a*se, now if the government don't deliver Brexit (what a majority of Britons want) then it simply makes a mockery of democracy............simples. Your (frankly) arrogant attitude, accusing Brexiteer's of being 'stupid' is a fine example of the 'superior' attitude of remainers that in all honesty is driving most people to dig their heels in. If you or Junker or anybody else for that matter wan't the British to somehow change their mind then calling them 'stupid' and claiming there is a place in Hell for Brexiteer's is certainly NOT the way to go about it! Now THAT is real stupidity!
I've not voted since leaving the UK believing exactly what you say, I shouldn't make decisions that won't effect me but effect could other people, this said I had the legal right to vote up to 15 years after departure.

With regards to Breixt this issue obviously has the potential to inconvenience or damage some expats lives, many have paid a full lifetime into the UK economy and have contributed very much to the UK and certainly have the right to vote on Brexit given it directly effects them in many cases much more than a bigot sat at home on benefits watching Jeremy Kyle.

Your comments about people living off the back of working class

Most employers were and are working class but have worked extremely hard and made a success of their lives and then go on to employ other people and thus pay the most tax, not only keeping their employees in work but also the country afloat financially.

Nothings coming back to bite them in the arse the way you say with Brexit, they've got the brains to have an exit plan and enough money to not work again.

No, its the workers who will suffer, that hard working company boss you say is living off others will say bugger it and close down.

This attack everyone else because they are alright and my life stinks mentality is why we are where we are.

If your life is crap make it better,change jobs, start a business, move !, bloody move, to a different village, town, county, even country!

You've got one life stop blaming other people if yours isn't perfect,

The UK's issues are not caused by the EU

English Dave wont see a reduction in population if the UK jumps off the edge and leaves the EU its just wishful thinking.

My Daft cousin wont see all the people with brown skin leave either !

You wont see any difference or freedom from the UK leaving the EU.

The only difference is people will lose jobs, prices will increase, your security will be compromised, THERE ARE NO BENEFITS IN BREXIT !

I might be arrogant to you, but I'm bloody right.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I've not voted since leaving the UK believing exactly what you say, I shouldn't make decisions that won't effect me but effect could other people, this said I had the legal right to vote up to 15 years after departure.

With regards to Breixt this issue obviously has the potential to inconvenience or damage some expats lives, many have paid a full lifetime into the UK economy and have contributed very much to the UK and certainly have the right to vote on Brexit given it directly effects them in many cases much more than a bigot sat at home on benefits watching Jeremy Kyle.

Your comments about people living off the back of working class

Most employers were and are working class but have worked extremely hard and made a success of their lives and then go on to employ other people and thus pay the most tax, not only keeping their employees in work but also the country afloat financially.

Nothings coming back to bite them in the arse the way you say with Brexit, they've got the brains to have an exit plan and enough money to not work again.

No, its the workers who will suffer, that hard working company boss you say is living off others will say bugger it and close down.

This attack everyone else because they are alright and my life stinks mentality is why we are where we are.

If your life is crap make it better,change jobs, start a business, move !, bloody move, to a different village, town, county, even country!

You've got one life stop blaming other people if yours isn't perfect,

The UK's issues are not caused by the EU

English Dave wont see a reduction in population if the UK jumps off the edge and leaves the EU its just wishful thinking.

My Daft cousin wont see all the people with brown skin leave either !

You wont see any difference or freedom from the UK leaving the EU.

The only difference is people will lose jobs, prices will increase, your security will be compromised, THERE ARE NO BENEFITS IN BREXIT !

I might be arrogant to you, but I'm bloody right.
There is nothing wrong with my life thank you very much, once again you assume that because I voted Brexit I am 'sat at home watching Jeremy Kyle' you assume that you are right and I am wrong your arrogance is incredible..........now here is the thing, just perhaps I AM THE INTELLIGENT ONE and you are the stupid one!? Has that ever crossed your mind? (I somehow doubt it). Brexit will be the best thing that's happened to this country for 50 years, the EU is a stinking rotting corpse, you can call me 'lazy' or 'stupid' or even racist if you like (though I doubt my 'brown' (as you put it) family will agree with you). Your previous post shows that I am not the one with 'prejudices'. It is obvious that you believe you are somehow 'superior' to the working classes and that all they need to do is 'get up off their a*se and move' to make their lives better which just goes to show just how out of touch with reality you really are. I say again I don't think people that don't even live in the country should have a say and I stick with that.

I might be stupid to you, but I'm bloody right.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is nothing wrong with my life thank you very much, once again you assume that because I voted Brexit I am 'sat at home watching Jeremy Kyle' you assume that you are right and I am wrong your arrogance is incredible..........now here is the thing, just perhaps I AM THE INTELLIGENT ONE and you are the stupid one!? Has that ever crossed your mind? (I somehow doubt it). Brexit will be the best thing that's happened to this country for 50 years, the EU is a stinking rotting corpse, you can call me 'lazy' or 'stupid' or even racist if you like (though I doubt my 'brown' (as you put it) family will agree with you). Your previous post shows that I am not the one with 'prejudices'. It is obvious that you believe you are somehow 'superior' to the working classes and that all they need to do is 'get up off their a*se and move' to make their lives better which just goes to show just how out of touch with reality you really are. I say again I don't think people that don't even live in the country should have a say and I stick with that.

I might be stupid to you, but I'm bloody right.

I've not called you lazy or stupid,

I've pointed out that you have no argument, zero

You are just repeating the same mantra, the EU's evil and we'll be better off out, without anything to back it up this statement.

You cant because there isn't a real benefit to Brexit, just lots of negatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom