Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post

After that, the political climate might be good enough to negotiate a deal that is on par with, say, the US. That way you might be able to score a trade deal with both your largest trading partner, the EU, and the US. It certainly won't be the same as before, but in the end, that's what you voted for. Plus, the UK won't risk to become a pariah state that no one can trust trade agreement wise.
When referring to US, I am not sure what deal is being discussed. Unless you are referring to WTO rules?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Why do the French despise the British?
You tell me!! We sheltered De Gaulle during the Second World War, and the ingrate had nothing but ingratitude. Up to the present day France's leaders don't like us. When I say the French despising us, I mean more their leaders.

I know we had a few wars against the French centuries ago, who know if that plays on their minds?...... But, even the current leader of France talks of punishing us for wanting to leave the EU. You would think they would be happy getting cozy with the Germans, and us out of the picture.

For some reason, they are taking it personal. I say to the French, dish it, as long as you can take it.

I read an article about De Gaulle online. A comment below from a Frenchman said how much he hated the British.

Last edited by English Dave; 02-15-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Why do the French despise the British?
Perhaps because of the success of Anglo 'popular' culture in the 21st century? The prominence of the English language perhaps? The British Empire perhaps? They have always looked down their nose at us for sure, to be honest with you considering we are neighbours it is the usual love/hate relationship, they won't admit to it but all in all we are probably closer to each other than we would all like to admit! :-D

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM

387 posts, read 380,304 times
We do not hate you my English friends

Old 02-15-2017, 12:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
A wonderful post, Bordeaux33

I have always enjoyed my visits to France, and the people there are very welcoming!

It's just our short-sighted, stupid, nationalistic politicians that seem to ruin things for both countries.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:08 PM

387 posts, read 380,304 times
I totally agree with you Just Zola, know my friends that whatever our politicians or journalists can say you will always be welcomed in France and that the French people will always be on the side of the English people, whatever their choices may be !

Old 02-15-2017, 04:45 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Perhaps because of the success of Anglo 'popular' culture in the 21st century? The prominence of the English language perhaps? The British Empire perhaps? They have always looked down their nose at us for sure, to be honest with you considering we are neighbours it is the usual love/hate relationship, they won't admit to it but all in all we are probably closer to each other than we would all like to admit! :-D
???

Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actual numbers? What do you mean by actual numbers? An island with population 35 taking say 350k immigrants is an entirely different proposition than say a country of population 350m taking in the same 350k immigrants. Unless you're completely innumerate you understand rates, and why when comparing objects of differing characteristics you normalize to a rate in comparison to that characteristic. It's why typical country indicators are expressed as percentages or per 1000 or 100,000 or per million. Do you look at inflation and say, let's get some actual numbers because percentages are misleading, what's the total change in currency per year in Euros or Dollars or Sterling, or Yen, and if someone said Oh there's 200m more Euros than last year, what would that mean?

You're German right? So in school you learned some English. Have you ever experienced being in a country where no one speaks your language? If not, then by what metric do you claim that speaking English is not an important criteria? Would you move lock stock and barrel to a country that does not speak a language you can converse in? If not then what makes you a non-representative immigrant? Even if your home country is a hell hole, when presented with several options, you're probably going to choose the option you can speak the language.

As far as bigger economies well 2016 nominal there's the US, China, Japan, Germany. Of those only Germany is in Europe, as far as refugees China and Japan are not preferred (Japan IIRC are refusing to accept refugees well they took 27 last year on asylum, China isn't taking Syrians).

Erm Jumbo meet Mumbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Oh dear ... did you have a 'senior moment"?

Now, I do appreciate that English is not your first language so I will make allowances.

The 11% is a percentage of overall population. If you want actual numbers then I can recommend Google.

I chose 2010, as I explained in my post, to take the recent refugee influx out of the equation.

I was not comparing the UK with other countries. As one of the largest and strongest economies in the world, my statement stands.

Most European - and indeed world - kids learn English at school. It tends to be the primary foreign language taught. So, yes, most immigrants speak some English.
Both of you make to many assumptions, you are condescending and insulting.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Who's idea was BREXIT anyway?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
When referring to US, I am not sure what deal is being discussed. Unless you are referring to WTO rules?
Ever since Trump was said to visit the UK people thought there would be a trade agreement in no time. Whether that's likely or not, i don't want to judge in this branch of city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom