Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM

489 posts, read 1,325,294 times

Advertisements

That's not how it is in Vegas. Here it is the neighborhoods closest to the Strip that people warn newcomers to stay away from, and the nicest areas are farthest from the Strip and closest to the mountains. Some parts of North Las Vegas (it's a separate city) should also be avoided, whereas the southern areas of the valley are mainly new development and are pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,960,510 times
It's true in my little city. South Rome is the worst side of town without a doubt.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,372 times
Best to Worst in St. Louis:
West (pretty solid "rich" to upper-middle class)
South (lower-middle to upper-middle class)
North (mostly ghetto)
East St. Louis (ghetto ghost town)

Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,115 times
In many ways the South Side of Atlanta and the North Side are like two different worlds. Not all of the South Side is bad and there are one or two affluent neighborhoods in the South but for the most part the North Side has the best of everything it's wealthier, more modern, has way more growth, more commerce, tourism, nightlife, etc.

The East Side of Atlanta has a little of everything, good and Bad areas. The West Side has some really bad areas and some ok areas.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
The South End in Boston is truly scary. Multi-million dollar row homes, the Boston Medical Center...there's even gay people too!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Lexington's South Side is the most affluent and fastest growing part of town by far, even though it is the side of town away from the interstate (I-75 doesn't go through downtown, it skirts to the east and north). There is just about nothing good on the North Side here, they have one Wal Mart and like 2 grocery stores (all with a heavy security presence).

My theory on why the SS here is better than the NS is because most Lexingtonians moved from Southern Kentucky and wanted quick access to visit "home". Lexington is where everyone in the SouthEast 1/4 of Kentucky come to shop, go to the hospital, and move for jobs. The NS got less in migration because it faces rural areas that are near Cincinnati and Louisville.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Never fails..whatever board I read here, the "south side" of almost every city is the "bad" part of town, or the town people caution others on..
Is there a "south side" that is safe or isnt that bad? LOL
I believe the south side of Charleston WV, and Pittsburgh, PA are actually some of the better parts of town. I think the historically crappy parts of towns are normally near the traditional industrial sections, which are usually dictated by geography, which changes from town to town.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
One more thing... I have been attending college to get a degree in Geography. One of my professors a few years ago said that in Northern cities the largest railroad depots where always on the South Side of town and that's why in most Northern metros the working class part of town is the SS. I believe he said most of the train's shipments were ag products from the South.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
I remember reading once that the East side of a town is often worse as the way wind patterns work pollution will get blown West to East so the East becomes the place for poorer people or whatever. However I think there are cities where "West End" is deemed the rougher part of town and I live in a little tiny town that uses "West End" as another word for "White Trash."

Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,918,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The South End in Boston is truly scary. Multi-million dollar row homes, the Boston Medical Center...there's even gay people too!
haha alright fair.

but the south end isn't really the southern part of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning