Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
This is a racist post. The pic in particular.
It's historical fact. It may or may not be as true as it was 30 years ago, but as Walter Cronkite would say: That's the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
South Allentown, PA, solid middle to upper middle class mostly white collar work force.

Exception to the OP.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Never fails..whatever board I read here, the "south side" of almost every city is the "bad" part of town, or the town people caution others on..
Is there a "south side" that is safe or isnt that bad? LOL
I have noticed this in cities large and small and in geographical regions such as Long Island NY. The North Shore (where I'm from is nice, preppy, better educated and more low key) the South Shore is more typically Long Island, and contains pockets of poverty and real estate prices are lower than the North Shore.

Then there's Boston, Chicago and Scanton and Wilkes-Barre PA, where I now live. There certainly sooms to be something going on.

NYC isn't that way now - South NYC is Greenwich Village and Wall Street SO-HO etc but that wasn't always so.

Greenwich Village at the turn of the last century was a haven for "Starving Artists" who in the 1960's were pushed into the East Village. Now it's all expensive.

The infamous Five Points neighborhood depicted in the film "Gangs of New York" was at the Southern tip of New York's Manhattan Island.

What gives? Any theories?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have noticed this in cities large and small and in geographical regions such as Long Island NY. The North Shore (where I'm from is nice, preppy, better educated and more low key) the South Shore is more typically Long Island, and contains pockets of poverty and real estate prices are lower than the North Shore.

Then there's Boston, Chicago and Scanton and Wilkes-Barre PA, where I now live. There certainly sooms to be something going on.

NYC isn't that way now - South NYC is Greenwich Village and Wall Street SO-HO etc but that wasn't always so.

Greenwich Village at the turn of the last century was a haven for "Starving Artists" who in the 1960's were pushed into the East Village. Now it's all expensive.

The infamous Five Points neighborhood depicted in the film "Gangs of New York" was at the Southern tip of New York's Manhattan Island.

What gives? Any theories?
Yes. There are only 4 points on a compass so appriximately 25% of south sides will be the less desireable part of town. If you read through this thread, you'll see that in many towns the south side is preferable and some other point on the compass is deemed worst. So that's my theory: Probability.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is completely untrue. In New York City, the Bronx and Harlem lie to the north and are considered to be the worst areas of the city. In Hartford, CT, you better stay away from the NORTH end. In Springfield, MA, stay away from the NORTH end. In New London, CT, stay away from the NORTH end. This is also true for Burlington, VT.

Your assessment might be true for the rest of the country, but in the northeast, usually the north end of the city is the worst.
Actually, it was once true of NYC as well. Ever hear of the Five Points area of Manhattan? Where was that
Uptown? What about the Lower East Side? The Tenement Museum is there too.

Greenwich Village was not always so upscale. It was once a haven for artists and writers aho could afford to live anywhere else.

Harlem and the Bronx were at first founded as early suburbs of Manhattan for the newly middle class fleeing the Lower East Side.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
The South Shore of Staten Island
....is the nice part of SI, so that's an exception to the OP. (In comparison to the rest of SI, the "bad" areas really don't take up too much room, and there are only a few areas that are really bad)

Personally, I've always associated the North Side with being the "bad" side from living in NYC (northern Brooklyn, far North Shore), but it's really just kind of random. You have a lot of cities with a "doughnut effect" where the inner core and outer suburbs are generally nice, and the struggling areas are in between, fanning out in all directions.

I'd also like to add Miami to the list where the northern side is generally worse than the southern side.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not exactly. The Five Points intersection is now Worth and Baxter, at the south end of Chinatown. The neighborhood covered parts of modern Chinatown and the city government area with the courts and police headquarters. There is quite a bit of Manhattan south of that area.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM

504 posts, read 616,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
haha alright fair.

but the south end isn't really the southern part of Boston.
Dorchester and Roxbury are neighborhoods farther south and are rougher areas, but the neighborhoods of Hyde Park and West Roxbury are to the south/ west and are very rich exclusive neighborhoods overall.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
South side st.louis is the safest area of the city and the most middle class area of st.louis
South side milwaukee ive heard is the good part of milwaukee

Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
Houston's Southside is not "bad" its actually a prosperous area ( Medical Center, Museum District, Reliant Stadium, High rise condos and lofts, great views of Downtown) the hip people with "swagga"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning