Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Never fails..whatever board I read here, the "south side" of almost every city is the "bad" part of town, or the town people caution others on..
Is there a "south side" that is safe or isnt that bad? LOL
No, but I have noticed that in all the cities I have ever lived in, middle class folks tend to live west of where they work. So they get to have the sun in their face during the commute BOTH ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc_City_Hudson View Post
Even more so in most cities the east side is the bad part of town. This is because in the Northern Hemisphere winds blow from west to east. You don't want to be on the east side with all the smoke coming from west side of the city hitting you.

Most cities developed it's industrial areas either down river (typically south) and or to east to limit the impact of air and river pollution. Therefore the poor are forced to live in the less desirable more industrial/polluted areas of town.
Along the Texas Gulf Coast, the summer winds are from the SE, so the wind actually blows to the West and North. That's why Houston is famous for its humidity.

The only reason Houston has its industries on the East side is because of the connection to the Gulf of Mexico via Galveston Bay, the San Jacinto River, and it's most prominent tributary Buffalo Bayou. Since Houston is prone to hurricanes, the West and North sides are on higher ground than the East side (closer to Galveston bay) and the South side (closer to the Gulf coast). The reason the West side developed first is because it is 180 degrees from the East side, while the North side is only 45-90 degrees away. The wind also tends to blow more towards the north than the west.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
I live in modesto, CA and almost every city in California has the westside as the worst part. Modesto worst part is westside but there isn't really a nice place in modesto .

Old 09-08-2016, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,563 times
So maybe this North-South / rich-poor division is only random, or coincidental. Many exceptions.

I'll add that here in San Diego the pattern holds. South side is the poor, minority, high-crime area. But not to the border, just the SD city limits. That poor strip extends pretty much all the way eastward, though the main contrast is at the west end.

I was curious about this. It seemed like there was a general "south side" pattern everywhere.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
The south side of Miami and its southern suburbs have historically been way more desirable then their northern and especially their western counterparts. Coconut Grove, Coral Gable and Pinecrest are all on the south side. That said, Miami's north side is the one that is rapidly gentrifying but it's really only in the areas that are nearer Biscayne Bay.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
No, but I have noticed that in all the cities I have ever lived in, middle class folks tend to live west of where they work. So they get to have the sun in their face during the commute BOTH ways.
Not so here in Seattle, with water to the west there are a few people that take the ferry in but most commute from the east.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not so here in Seattle, with water to the west there are a few people that take the ferry in but most commute from the east.
The most heavily travelled commuting corridor in Raleigh is from the east to the west in the morning and west to east in the afternoon.

All these rule are bunk in my opinion. Everything just depends.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Never fails..whatever board I read here, the "south side" of almost every city is the "bad" part of town, or the town people caution others on..
Is there a "south side" that is safe or isnt that bad? LOL
Here it's the east side.

In fact, the southern-western side of the city is the richest and nicest.

The whole west side is the nicest, but the super nicest is the southwest corner.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegs24 View Post
I live in modesto, CA and almost every city in California has the westside as the worst part. Modesto worst part is westside but there isn't really a nice place in modesto .
Not Los Angeles, San Francisco, or San Diego.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Winnipeg and Dublin would be two more exceptions. Winnipeg's North Side is definitely the one with the most problems, while the South Side is definitely the wealthiest. I'm not sure about the East vs West.
Neither Winnipeg nor Dublin had African Americans arriving by train or bus from the southern part of their respective countries for most of the last century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning