Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes a city attractive to young 20-something college grads?
Public transportation 81 64.29%
Skyscrapers 29 23.02%
Walkability 88 69.84%
Historical significance 25 19.84%
Luxury Shopping 22 17.46%
Local, unique restaurants 71 56.35%
Strong arts/music scene 76 60.32%
Liberal political zeitgeist 42 33.33%
Active LGBT community 34 26.98%
Lack of strong "religious right"/outspoken atheist community 30 23.81%
Employment prospects 88 69.84%
Other 33 26.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
a young person who goes to a city for skyscrapers should literally walk him/herself to a mental hospital ward.

What catches young people mind are education, vibrancy, nightlife, and diversity.

you only live life once what young geek goes to a city for doofy skyscrapers that stand in the same post all day. The only thing special about that is that a human cant do it.
I would imagine that a student interested in architecture would like to be in a city with great skyscrapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I would imagine that a student interested in architecture would like to be in a city with great skyscrapers.
yea if school was involved then i agree, but if your going to go to move to a city because of skyscrapers then you have issues.

if your not in school and are interested in architecture just use google at home.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Whatever city provides the most SWPL items.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
a young person who goes to a city for skyscrapers should literally walk him/herself to a mental hospital ward.

What catches young people mind are education, vibrancy, nightlife, and diversity.

you only live life once what young geek goes to a city for doofy skyscrapers that stand in the same post all day. The only thing special about that is that a human cant do it.
Seattle is one of the whitest cities and most uniformly politically liberal. Portland is even whiter. Surely young people aren't moving there for diversity, unless "diversity" means specifically LGBT.

As for skyscrapers, don't discount them. They aren't primary reasons for moving somewhere but they can play a part. If they didn't, you wouldn't have seen so many skyline threads on this forum the mods had to ban them.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
There are young people in Settle, but most of them are in college. I don't run into a lot of young, single professionals very often

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Seattle is one of the whitest cities and most uniformly politically liberal. Surely young people aren't moving there for diversity, unless "diversity" means specifically LGBT.

As for skyscrapers, don't discount them. They aren't primary reasons for moving somewhere but they can play a part. If they didn't, you wouldn't have seen so many skyline threads on this forum the mods had to ban them.
this is city-data. A site where people stirr conflict with people in cities 3 days away from them. The skyline threads although very interesting have been raped to a eyesoar by these posters.

also diversity was one of my theories not the only one.

i am also a young person 22 black male who doesnt care about diversity. IF seattle is 90 percent white, who cares.....as long as it has a vibrant scene, nightlife, and well paying jobs im their.

i like white girls with big butts anyway. im sure seattle can provide me with that.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are young people in Settle, but most of them are in college. I don't run into a lot of young, single professionals very often
The job market in Seattle is horrible for young professionals right now. I bet a lot of kids end up moving there and becoming underemployed, partying for a few years, and then returning home. There are others who make it though. One of my friends from college moved to Portland and has a great job out there. He is also a very typical young person culturally who would be attracted to these cities. He is into everything green and organic, goes to Burning Man every year, walks around his neighborhood naked, and nearly worships Obama.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
[quote=robert polyglot;26184437]I have a friend who took an oil and gas industry job in Houston after college. He first lived at a fairly new complex near Westheimer/Dairy Ashford where his unit was actually a 1-story with a partial upper story. He wound up liking Houston and moved inside the Loop, off Westheimer.

Portland, Seattle and Austin have been borderline ruined by all the people moving there only to be part of a counterculture movement. From the first two, many people wind up going home, wherever that is, because they'd wind up sharing a dingy house with the siding peeling with 3 other people in perpetuity.[/quote]

And a big amen to this comment. I voted for "other" because my vote would be for those things that make all the young lemmings who seek all that all the other young lemmings seek so they can be exactly like all the rest of the young lemmings all the while believing they are all so very, very unique.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
yea if school was involved then i agree, but if your going to go to move to a city because of skyscrapers then you have issues.

if your not in school and are interested in architecture just use google at home.
That's quite a closed-minded viewpoint. Seeing something on the internet isn't the same as experiencing it for yourself.

They could be an artist who is inspired by amazing architecture.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:

i like white girls with big butts anyway. im sure seattle can provide me with that.

How wrong you are. Unless you just mean fat white women. I think Tacoma has that all day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning