Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Urban
Chicago 118 79.73%
Los Angeles 30 20.27%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

For Los Angeles, I found a 300 sq mile chunk of land in the 11,000 ppsm range, and a 500 sq mile chunk (pretty much the basin as a whole) clocking in at 10,000 ppsm. Even the SFV has a 60 sq mile chunk in the 10k range.
What are you using to "find" these chunks? Can you let me know how you're choosing census tracts for study? I want to make a thread in the LA forum about "creating fantasy borders for the City of Los Angeles," and would love to know what the demographics would be for various configurations--just need an easy way to create lists of census tracts within a given boundary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Regarding the discussion on how much and which Angelenos know about central LA: Los Angeles is unfortunately the posterchild when it comes to metropolitan residents not knowing about their region's urban core. It was only very recently (within the past decade) that Downtown started to become a place that draws in a diverse mix of the region's residents. LA still lacks a central location for the region's culture... and I don't think whatever materializes downtown will ever truly feel like the "heart" of LA. . . .
Interesting perspective.

I grew up in the NYC area and while I had a pretty good knowledge of the area 30 miles from my home it was very rare for people to travel to other parts of the region (aside from Manhattan). I have family in Brooklyn but I was 17 before I ever went out on Long Island. The only reason we ever went to SW Connecticut is because my mom's aunt lived there. The only reason she moved out there was to teach at Yale.

That sort of travel is a lot more difficult in the NYC metro because there are large bodies of water in the way and to do it, in most cases, involves driving directly through NYC. People avoid it.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
From another site. They're not my calculations, so I can't verify their accuracy.

Boston: 24,543 ppsm (0.617 million)
Montreal: 22,064 ppsm (1.648 million)
Vancouver: 20,397 ppsm (0.618 million)
Philadelphia: 20,283 ppsm (1.526 million)
Toronto: 20,124 ppsm (2.615 million)
Chicago: 19,826 ppsm (2.703 million)
DC: 17,459 ppsm (0.602 million)
Miami: 15,900 ppsm (0.399 million)
What are these calculating? Each city's entire density? If so, they are not correct..

Old 05-09-2013, 06:21 PM

504 posts, read 616,417 times
It looks like it is the weighted density of the population in the city limits.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
One thing that hasn't been explicitly mentioned as much in this topic, but has been mentioned in other similar topics (though I didn't make a thorough search of this topic) is that LA's downtown has Santa Monica, Pasadena, Long Beach, and others (go ahead and fill in this others category) that Chicago does not have. Since the OP does mention metro in this topic, they should be put forth for consideration. These municipalities, though not contiguous (arguable for Santa Monica) with the core of Los Angeles, all have very dense and lively urban areas which are sizable. Chicago has Evanston, but few others without going further out. Factoring these in could make a good argument for LA in terms of being more urban.

Outside of the current scope of this topic, how likely is it that LA unambiguously pulls away from Chicago in this discussion? Would it be possible within a decade once it has the regional connector, metrolink run-through tracks (allowing for a S-Bahn type thing for the LA metro), westside subway, crenshaw line, expo line to santa monica, gold line extension, and the crenshaw corridor to be built along with the continued infill of LA due to population pressures and zoning changes? Does Chicago have a lot of plans in the work where Chicago is always in contention (could be, though Chicago isn't growing at the same pace and doesn't have the funding in place the way LA has)?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-09-2013 at 07:34 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
It looks like it is the weighted density of the population in the city limits.
And how are they weighted?

Old 05-10-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
By population. What it gives you, basically, is the average density experienced by residents in their neighborhood (census tract). Since people don't live evenly dispersed across an area, it gives you a sense of the density that people actually live at.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
By each census tract.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
What are you using to "find" these chunks? Can you let me know how you're choosing census tracts for study? I want to make a thread in the LA forum about "creating fantasy borders for the City of Los Angeles," and would love to know what the demographics would be for various configurations--just need an easy way to create lists of census tracts within a given boundary.
I used the Mapping L.A. project. Unfortunately it's somewhat obsolete now (2000 data) even though little has changed population-wise. I simply combined the various subregions until I got the size I was looking for. For example these contiguous regions:

Central LA and the Westside (minus the hillside communities)
Eastside
South LA
Southeast LA (gateway cities)

Equal:

301.33 sq miles
Population: 3,481,887
Density: 11,856 persons per sq miles

There are tons of unpopulated areas within those 300 sq miles (Vernon, Commerce, Griffith Park, etc) so it isn't just census tracts.

Here are the hillside communities I omitted from Central and Westside LA.

Palisades, Brentwood, Bel-Air, Beverly Crest, Hollyood Hills West, Hollywood Hills
64.59 sq miles
Population: 112,000k
Density: 1,799 persons per sq miles

Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM

^^Thanks. I had forgotten about Mapping LA. Curious, what is it without the Gateway Cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning