Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am suggesting they don't get the immigration that we do. Plus, I have been to Canada many times and don't see much to emulate.

BTW, no one predicted the drop in birth rates in Europe or Japan. All of a sudden, it just happened.
Historically Canada and Australia - similar former British colonies covering a large land area like us - did not try to fill up their territory like we do. To my knowledge neither of those nations tolerate a huge illegal alien population like the US Federal government does.

In any case I do not see why you are arguring with me about this. Canada's historically much slower growth is even allowing its most populated area - Southern Ontario - to build a large greenbelt around the Toronto area. I do not see anything be done like in the United States.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linative View Post
historically canada and australia - similar former british colonies covering a large land area like us - did not try to fill up their territory like we do. To my knowledge neither of those nations tolerate a huge illegal alien population like the us federal government does.

in any case i do not see why you are arguring with me about this. Canada's historically much slower growth is even allowing its most populated area - southern ontario - to build a large greenbelt around the toronto area. I do not see anything be done like in the united states.
lol! You know, you're absolutely right!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
lol! You know, you're absolutely right!
Lol - I did not expect that!

I just wanted to mention that I also completely understand when people complain about wasteful land use practices.

When a developer for instance builds on a farm in a wealthy area - the lots for instance might be 5 acres or more. The end result is houses with giant chemically controlled lawns which no one ever uses but is just there to impress visitors like some kind of feudal manor.

While there are some exceptions (like someone wants to keep horses) most of the time good land is being wasted in this way.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:10 AM

351 posts, read 649,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
That happens in EVERY SINGLE city neighborhood? Really? That happens in the first and second ring suburbs? Really? WOW, I never knew that.

I think they are talking about the 90s urban sprawl housing devisions not all suburbs.
Of course not. That's a red herring.

The point is this: if a young family wants to move to an area where there are nice homes in safe neighborhoods surrounded by open space and good schools, I really can't blame them. At all. If that makes them morally inept, selfish, gas-guzzling losers--then so be it, big guy. I'll assume you don't have kids.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Assuming everyone is alike who lives in a particular area or lives a certain way IS INEPT.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 AM

57 posts, read 199,039 times
Well, I guess I'm a morally inept person. I grew up in the suburbs and continue to live in the suburbs.

What a terrible life it was growing up, too. Living in a nice house in a quiet neighborhood. Having kids my age to grow up with on my street. Having room around us to play football, baseball, street hockey etc. Having our own pools to have pool parties all summer long. Being able to run around in a big back yard. Being able to camp in the backyard when we were little when it was fun. Having bonfires in the backyard and having the whole street come over for a good time. Brutal upbringing.

I guess it is better to live in a cramped apartment in the middle of a city.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Of course not. That's a red herring.

The point is this: if a young family wants to move to an area where there are nice homes in safe neighborhoods surrounded by open space and good schools, I really can't blame them. At all. If that makes them morally inept, selfish, gas-guzzling losers--then so be it, big guy. I'll assume you don't have kids.
GOD! I am getting so sick of everybody on this forum chopping and rewording every freakin thing I say.

First off, My response was to a ignorant statement saying that city neighborhoods were full of drunks, homeless, etc. When they are not. My city neighborhood is more family oriented than suburban neighborhoods.

Second, I said, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT OLD SUBURBS. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE NEW URBAN SPRAWL SUBURBS. Get it, BIG GUY? I am a strong environmentalist that would like to see my state implement restrictions on the environmental impacts of sprawl. I could really careless where you live, big guy.

Jesus.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
I would like to add. I in noway think that every suburb is bad. I like the first ring of older suburbs. There are many suburbs that are developed more like a town with a central buisness district, walkable streets, playgrounds, parks, public swimming pools, and all the works. I love those suburbs.

I am not a fan, nor do I like to support my tax money to go to new subdivisions that are built far away from anything, have no public parks, no public swimming pools, no sidewalks, and none of the works. I am for INTELLIGENT GROWTH. However, discussing growth on this board is impossible. It is a us vs them (suburban vs city people) mentallity on this board. If one even attempts to discuss intelligent growth, or transportation projects on this board they are shot down, and called "big guy".

I love how on this board if you try to talk about how to build nice walkable suburban areas that limit fuel intake and driving, you are instantly shot down. Such as Mr Answers stating, " At all. If that makes them morally inept, selfish, gas-guzzling losers" as how us urban people look at suburban people. This isn't the way at all. You are being more stereotypical than I was when I was just joking around in this thread.

DO you want to talk about how to build smart growth suburbs? Or do you want to fight a Us vs Them argument like this thread has dissolved into?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:28 PM

16 posts, read 49,321 times
Well, it seems that a lot of people are somehow conditioned to see things in a very black and white way. To a lot of people it's almost as if there's no compromise; it's safe McMansion in a sea of shopping centers 30 miles from town or some decrepit commie block on dark damp street that's full of crime. The guy a few replies back one person said "I guess it is better to live in a cramped apartment in the middle of a city."

You see the same thing if you bring up a discussion about SUVs and pickups: "Try hauling 12,000 pounds of lumber in a Prius!"

To an extent I guess it's true though, most of our cities don't have the extensive neighborhoods like you see in Europe where you get a nice compromise between convenience and green space.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
GOD! I am getting so sick of everybody on this forum chopping and rewording every freakin thing I say.

First off, My response was to a ignorant statement saying that city neighborhoods were full of drunks, homeless, etc. When they are not. My city neighborhood is more family oriented than suburban neighborhoods.

Second, I said, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT OLD SUBURBS. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE NEW URBAN SPRAWL SUBURBS. Get it, BIG GUY? I am a strong environmentalist that would like to see my state implement restrictions on the environmental impacts of sprawl. I could really careless where you live, big guy.

Jesus.
Oh yes...it's "everybody on this forum" who is the problem, not YOU. That's the funniest thing I've read all day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning