Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Macy's is real low end, if you ask me. Dillard's, not so much.

Most of the more upscale malls do not have a Sear's or Penney's, at least around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As mentioned before, I think that might be a regional thing. Macy's is considered more mid-range here, and some of their stores do a nice presentation. Upscale malls here typically have Macy's but no Sear's or Penney's as well.
Yup, agreed. MAcy's has a pretty huge range in terms of store type, it is all based on location (and the surrounding area's income/feeders).

I've got about 6 or 7 Macy's in my 30 mile radius, and I have been to all of them. From Flagship, to low-income to upper middle class. They all have a different product mix.

The flagship store has higher end brands than most, and competes more with Nordies. It is also a bit messy since it is a tourist attraction too. The upper middle class suburban ones have nicer brands, are cleaner, and more spacious feeling. The ones in the low end malls are a mess, and don't have many higher end brands. They will carry mid range brands like Coach and Michael Kors, but only carry the lower end stuff from those brands. These lower income Macy's do not have nicer clothing, many business suits, and some even sell lots and lots of the hip hop influenced brands (Apple Bottom, House of Dereon etc.

Bloomies can also have a similar spread as well, surprisingly. The Bloomies in Palo Alto is basically a mid-range MAcy's in terms of brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Anyone remember Caldor?
Yes, but I don't remember much about it. Isn't that an eastern chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup, agreed. MAcy's has a pretty huge range in terms of store type, it is all based on location (and the surrounding area's income/feeders).

I've got about 6 or 7 Macy's in my 30 mile radius, and I have been to all of them. From Flagship, to low-income to upper middle class. They all have a different product mix.

The flagship store has higher end brands than most, and competes more with Nordies. It is also a bit messy since it is a tourist attraction too. The upper middle class suburban ones have nicer brands, are cleaner, and more spacious feeling. The ones in the low end malls are a mess, and don't have many higher end brands. They will carry mid range brands like Coach and Michael Kors, but only carry the lower end stuff from those brands. These lower income Macy's do not have nicer clothing, many business suits, and some even sell lots and lots of the hip hop influenced brands (Apple Bottom, House of Dereon etc.

Bloomies can also have a similar spread as well, surprisingly. The Bloomies in Palo Alto is basically a mid-range MAcy's in terms of brands.
We have a Macy's in our local mall which is also one of the biggest in the metro area. It sucks. We went there looking for an interview suit for my daughter once. The clerks were very lacking of knowledge, the dressing rooms looked like what you might find in K-Mart, with discarded clothes strewn about. They didn't have her size (2!), so we ended up at Nordstrom's. It was more expensive, but they were helpful and had her size.

I was once in the Macy's in Boulder, CO with same daughter, and I asked where the dresses were. The clerk asked me who I was looking for a dress for (grammar?), and I said me. She told me they didn't carry dresses for misses, just juniors.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:

We have a Macy's in our local mall which is also one of the biggest in the metro area. It sucks. We went there looking for an interview suit for my daughter once. The clerks were very lacking of knowledge, the dressing rooms looked like what you might find in K-Mart, with discarded clothes strewn about. They didn't have her size (2!), so we ended up at Nordstrom's. It was more expensive, but they were helpful and had her size.

I was once in the Macy's in Boulder, CO with same daughter, and I asked where the dresses were. The clerk asked me who I was looking for a dress for (grammar?), and I said me. She told me they didn't carry dresses for misses, just juniors.
It amazes me how different the dress selection can be across stores. I am shocked most of the time. But I have now rated all the stores according to what I need and shop accordingly. The closest ones are 12 miles away, and they happen to the be the best choices in our region.

When I went to the Macy's in downtown DC, it has all kinds of suits. Very stereotypical Washington ones: boxy in brights and pastels.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

The flagship store has higher end brands than most, and competes more with Nordies. It is also a bit messy since it is a tourist attraction too. The upper middle class suburban ones have nicer brands, are cleaner, and more spacious feeling. The ones in the low end malls are a mess, and don't have many higher end brands.
Is the flagship one the San Francisco one? Here's a photo I took:

Palm trees were a novelty. I'm most familiar with the "upper middle class" suburban ones. There's one on Long Island that is cheap feeling but that used to be a Stern's until it was a rebadged as Macy's. Stern's was a lower end department store in the Northeast, that at its end was owned by the same company as Macy's. The flagship one out in Manhattan has better selection but it's a pain to navigate and sometimes suffers from severe crowding, it claims to be the world's biggest store. There's a Macy's 5 miles to the south in downtown Brooklyn, the shopping cliente is largely black, I'm curious how differently it's stocked.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Yea it was an eastern chain. Low-end a bit like a smaller Target or Walmart, but decent for what it did. Except for staying in business, which it wasn't so good at.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Is the flagship one the San Francisco one? Here's a photo I took:

Palm trees were a novelty. I'm most familiar with the "upper middle class" suburban ones. There's one on Long Island that is cheap feeling but that used to be a Stern's until it was a rebadged as Macy's. Stern's was a lower end department store in the Northeast, that at its end was owned by the same company as Macy's. The flagship one out in Manhattan has better selection but it's a pain to navigate and sometimes suffers from severe crowding, it claims to be the world's biggest store. There's a Macy's 5 miles to the south in downtown Brooklyn, the shopping cliente is largely black, I'm curious how differently it's stocked.
Yup that's the one! The have Marc Jacobs bags (unlike most Macy's) and lots of higher end stuff. Also, all sections are HUGE there with better selection. You can really see the difference particularly in the shoe section.

It is a cool building. Next time you go, hit the bathrooms on the 5th floor. They are gold! Gold stalls, mirrors, everything. Also, they don't want you to leave. The ground floor has a food court and a post office. On the 4th floor is a Starbucks, 5th floor is a pastry shop from a former Top Chef contestant. Then there is a Cheesecake Factory (with great views) at the top, and Burger Bar on the 6th floor, also with great views.

As for the DC store, they had a Fashion Faire* counter. We don't have those in CA, it was replaced with MAC.

*FYI Fashion Faire was THE black cosmetics company, and they used to have awesome fashion shows, that were particularly popular during segregation, as the place to find black fashion, style and the bourgeoisie. http://www.npr.org/2014/02/15/276987...on-the-catwalk

Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,966 times
Compared to other department stores (I'm talking stuff like JCPenney and Dillard's, not specialty stores/boutiques like Banana Republic, H&M, American Eagle, etc.), Macy's is best considered midrange. It's better than JCPenney and Sears, but not as upscale as Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. In fact, Bloomingdale's is owned by Macy's, mostly to target the upscale shopper.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Anyone remember Caldor?
Yes, there was one at Carousel Center/DestinyUSA here in a Syracuse, but it went out of business within a couple of years or so.

What was interesting was the other day, I actually was in a small city which had a JC Penney's in a plaza, which is very rare. It essentially is the only department store in this city and if it ever closed, the closest department store would be about a 20-25 minute drive away. So, in instances like that, those communities may be where a JCP or Sears stays in place.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
what would happen if sear or jc penny failed. nothing, nobody would notice

Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

As a region, however, Sacramento is actually doing very well with lots of growth and at least somewhat strong economy. It's nothing compared to the Bay Area, but if you get up to the middle-class areas, it's actually pretty strong. So you have Galleria expanding, Arden doing well, the new Palladium (outdoor lifestyle center mall rather than enclosed) is slowly filling up although it's still about half empty. Definitely a slow start, but the half that's leased is actually pretty busy.
The new lifestyle mall in Folsom is called the Palladio. Palladio at Broadstone | Folsom, CA
It's a disappointment. It's filling up with expensive or useless or chain stores and chain restaurants. Whole Foods is the only store I visit regularly. I much prefer the outdoor mall in The Fountains in Roseville. Fountains at Roseville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning