Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 09:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What bugs me about these German towns is they pave over practically every sqare inch.
You didn't that photo was pretty?

Not that familiar with German towns, can't think of one similar in size to that British example. But from street views I've seen, they look rather green. And they appear to have less of the dead downtown, long stretches of bleak looking strip malls found in American towns. Not much is in streetview outside of the big cities, but here's a random one I found:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6103...Q6OpIn9aQA!2e0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
^^I thought that German town looked paved over. There's nary a blade of grass in sight; just a few trees growing through the pavement. Most German towns I saw looked like that.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
^^I thought that German town looked paved over. There's nary a blade of grass in sight; just a few trees growing through the pavement. Most German towns I saw looked like that.
Huh? I see small yards of grass in each one of the private residents.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Huh? I see small yards of grass in each one of the private residents.
Baloney! There's a bush in front of one house. Even my horror-inducing city has more grass than that in its downtown.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Baloney! There's a bush in front of one house. Even my horror-inducing city has more grass than that in its downtown.
Do you get to walk on that grass? I am sure private property owners don't want random people laying in their yards enjoying their grass. The grass in the downtown of the suburbia town you are referring to is probably just a vacant lot.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
It had street trees, so I didn't see why you called it paved over until you explained. It's the center of town, don't see the need nor expect much of any grass, the street trees are providing greenery. I thought the buildings were interesting looking, it's not like there's just extra pavement around for the sake of it, it's no space was left for it. There isn't any in some streets near the center of some local towns here, either:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3207...Xyv1NqlcAw!2e0

or this photo has some grass in the foreground but not further down the street:

Except for the house full of weeds in the front (which in this case is a vacant lot), which I'd say is more of an eyesore. Big American suburban roads seem worse:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8577...KYBpZWZ_lw!2e0

There's more green, yes, though it's not really nature. And more extra concrete. And the building, not that visible look bland.

Last edited by nei; 09-26-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Do you get to walk on that grass? I am sure private property owners don't want random people laying in their yards enjoying their grass. The grass in the downtown of the suburbia town you are referring to is probably just a vacant lot.
Huh? Owners remove their yards because they're afraid of passer-bys?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Your downtown is much greener than mine, and much more spread out. Yours was designed for more space, the German one for compactness, mine somewhere in between. On the positive side, with greater compactness, most businesses are likely to still be in the town center.

Denverian's view is the town center, which is probably hundreds of years old. A satellite view of the town:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...22d4d510db6240

No street view available. But doesn't paved over every inch in the slightest.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your downtown is much greener than mine, and much more spread out. Yours was designed for more space, the German one for compactness, mine somewhere in between. On the positive side, with greater compactness, most businesses are likely to still be in the town center.

Denverian's view is the town center, which is probably hundreds of years old. A satellite view of the town:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...22d4d510db6240

No street view available. But doesn't paved over every inch in the slightest.
Maybe that's why these people created bigger yards with more green space when they came to the US. Louisville was a town of 5000 people until about 1980. It wasn't designed to be spread out. What's wrong with a little public greenery, in addition to a few, and I emphasize few, trees planted in little circles drilled out of the pavement. All of Belgium, the Netherlands and western Germany that I saw was like that.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-26-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Bull! You've slammed the place enough. Give it a rest! Too bad nei took down all the picutres I laboriously cut and pasted into a post. Do you have a problem with public greenery?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-26-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning