Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Great Basin NP in Eastern NV is worth visiting and will be on the way to your rendevous with aliens. If you are into that stuff you could also camp around Dugway Proving Grounds in western UT where rumor says some secret testing was moved due to all the attention given to area 51. Also the Uintah basin is infamous for UFOs and other such strange things and home to lovely places like "Skinwalker Ranch".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,532 times
Being a native Utahn myself, If I were to tour there with some people who have never been to Utah I would definitely show them around Peoa, Heber, Kamas and the like. I love that area, these East Coasters have never been "Camping" like I'm used too! Ah the days!

Another place would be Rush Valley south of Tooele. I spent ALOT of time there growing up hunting, hiking and exploring the old mines and ghostowns that are everywhere. One could spend ALOT of time if you're into that kind of history. The scenery is fantastic and you'll want a 4x4 to make the most of it. You can camp pretty much anywhere that isnt posted private property but make sure you read up on Campfires, seemed like the last ten years I was there only a handfull of years you could have one due to dry weather.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Flights to Las Vegas are generally cheap. You could circle around back there, too.
Agreed.
My airport of choice when going there.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 13,761 times
I've caught you at the tail end dbaker79. Looks like you've been steered sweetly.

Arches and Canyonlands National Parks south of I-70 will be an outstanding addition to your reassessment of the route. It'll portray a "beautiful" desert. Summer in Moab will require reservations. Bureau of Land Management has first-come-first served primitive sites which are amazing, yet there are so many variables. You didn't specify a month, so on the sage side, reserveusa dot gov will allow you to reserve camping in Arches National Park and I believe starting this month (July), next year ought to be loaded. Reserve at your earliest capability to do so, Arches goes QUICK.

There are plenty of in-town commercial sites, albeit not primitive. Up-the-Creek is interesting as you park and walkin to set up beside a creek. The Colorado River runs thorough Moab's valley. Jetboats perform pick ups from the hear of Canyonlands National Park to roof rack rented canoes for camping 3- 10 days. Tex's Riverways and Tag-A-Long Expedition can help you out with planning. This would be the ultimate primitive experience. Many car camping people retrofit their skills to enjoy this trip, with minimal boat handling experience OR hire an outfitted raft or sea kayak tour, let a company do the planning and permits. Did I mention permits? $20 for a park permit to canoe into Canyonlands. Canyonlands is every bit as breathtaking as Grand Canyon, yet more accessible.

Finally, there are three climbing companies in Moab. Ask them about canyoneering for a region specific twist on hiking in the desert. No climbing skills necessary. You shoulder a pack of a share of equipment/lunch and repel down. Very cool.

I am excited for you two.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,460 times
I was going to recommend Salt Lake, but seeing as you have adjusted you're trip route (for the better I think) it is a bit out of range. I hope all goes well for you. The National Parks you will be hitting are great. If you did a trip to the northern parts of Utah another time, hit Salt Lake, Bear Lake, and the Uintahs!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:22 PM

51 posts, read 104,686 times
Hi everyone, it's been a while since you all helped me plan my vacation out west, but I wanted to check back in because I will be leaving this coming weekend. Instead of flying out, I will be driving, so that changes things considerably. Obviously I won't have time to do a 4-state tour, so we are going to concentrate mostly on southwest Colorado and maybe swing over into Utah. Based on the information you provided last year, I've put together this general route:

Google Map Route

As much time as I have had to prepare this, I don't have much planned other than the route. I won't go into it, but personal issues put the vacation in jeopardy and I didn't think it was going to happen. Now, things have changed and I'm scrambling to throw a plan together. That being the case, I'd love some last minute tips. I know you all provided a lot of information a year ago, but let's get specific now. I'm sure we will have no problem finding things to see and do, but the big question for me is where to stay every night. We want to do primitive camping for the most part, so I'd love any tips on places to camp (without a reservation, and avoiding crowds is preferable). We might stay in four-walled type structures here and there, so any "must-stays," let me know. And I want to do a 1 or 2 night backpacking trip somewhere along the way, but I'm not sure where. Would I be an idiot to try to do that in Canyonlands or Arches in the middle of July? I'm in decent shape and I'm accustomed to hiking in 90 degrees and high humidity, but we do have a lot more shade here in Ohio. Is there anywhere else along my route that would make for a great backpacking trip?

Again, I appreciate everyone's great advice. I will be sure to report back on how it went.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,083 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Park City, Utah. Awesome town with a western flair. I stayed at The Prospector and walked to most of the locations. It's east of I-15 and is off the beaten path. Rethink going north into Northern Utah. I think it would be worth your while.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaker79 View Post
And I want to do a 1 or 2 night backpacking trip somewhere along the way, but I'm not sure where. Would I be an idiot to try to do that in Canyonlands or Arches in the middle of July? I'm in decent shape and I'm accustomed to hiking in 90 degrees and high humidity, but we do have a lot more shade here in Ohio.
If you are accustomed to hiking in 90 degree heat with high humidity, I'd say go for it. It will be extremely hot and there won't be a ton of shade, but it won't be humid. I can take a lot of heat as long as it's a dry heat, and I've done Arches in mid-summer before. If you go there, be sure to do the Fiery Furnace hike. It is a ranger-guided hike, which may put some people off, but it is definitely an incredible experience. You'd have to sign up for it as soon as you got into the park.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-12-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah