Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:32 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,227,328 times

Advertisements

Our house is sold, here in California and we have to move to Utah, because my husband is starting a new job there. I've looked a tons of houses on the MLS and it seems like Saratoga Springs, or Eagle Mountain have the homes I'm interested in, but are the areas nice? I've been there twice now, each time spending a week, but it's hard to tell what the neighborhoods are like. Anyone have any suggestions? I've asked my realtor, but he doesn't see the negative in ANY area, so I need help .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 04:19 AM

38 posts, read 156,896 times
If you haven't already done so, you might want to check the Saratoga Springs city web site http://www.saratoga-springs.net/

When I first started researching a move to Utah I considered Saratoga Springs, but crossed it off my list because I didn't see any benefit for me to be so close to Utah Lake. Also potential traffic and cloudburst flooding(see city public works dept about flooding) problems were concerns.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:45 PM

421 posts, read 1,733,790 times
Where is your husband's job? How long of a commute is he willing to take on? That will make a difference in where you might want to look. Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs are both newish areas, and because they're so far out of the way, the home prices are more affordable there. But they've been rising a lot lately, along with the rest of the county, so I don't know if you really save that much now by moving there. I know people who live in both areas and like it very much. I also know people who refuse to move there for various reasons (not close to anything, lots of wind in Eagle, lots of bugs in Saratoga because of the lake, etc). But there are benefits, too. Since everyone's new, it's easier to meet people and make friends. The lake it beautiful. It's quieter out there. Depends what you're looking for.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:46 AM

37 posts, read 207,885 times
Where do you need to be? What are you looking for? Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain are both new, cookie cutter communities with a bit of a commute. Because they are new, they haven't really taken on a "personality"...they're sort of undefined communities. If you could be more specific about what's important to you, I could be more helpful. Also, if you have children, that makes a big difference. If that's the case, it might be a reason to avoid the Saratoga Springs area.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 312,258 times
Utah County is mostly Mormon if taht makes a difference. Utah Lake may not be the place you want to be near to. Commuting can be a nightmare, depends on where you work. Many people feel isolated there,

Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 19,612 times
I love Saratoga Springs. My husband and I have lived here for almost 5 years now (and our kids too)! It's great out here! We don't live on the lake end of the community, we are further north. It's a development called Harvest Hills. The area is wonderful. There are a lot of stores and more that have been built and are going to be built! It's come a long way from the nothing that was here 5 years ago before we built our home! There are still new houses being built and there are a lot that are for sale in this neighborhood too!! You can read more at harvest-hills.com . Good luck!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 59,904 times
I love Eagle Mountain! My son and his wife bought a house there about a year ago. I love the house, and I love the neighborhood. Everyone is friendly and helpful. There are a LOT of little kids, but it always seems quiet, probably because I live in Southern California, less than a mile from the freeway, so it's a huge difference. If I had a young family, I would love living in Eagle Mountain!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 AM

25 posts, read 98,452 times
Default Oh man

Quote:
Because they are new, they haven't really taken on a "personality"...they're sort of undefined communities.
I don't know whether to TP your house or invite you over and prove you wrong. Are you KIDDING? :P I completely agree with everything everyone has said. I love Eagle Mountain, but it's going to be a good couple years before the traffic situation is worked out. We've found it all to be a matter of planning and avoiding peak traffic times and areas (not always possible, btw.) A lot of investment properties are up for sale right now - and all kinds of people are moving in. We may be a bit cookie cutter, but I wouldn't go as far as "undefined."

To offset some of the negatives you're hearing, we have many GOOD things too! The air is clean, the sunsets are gorgeous, the sunrises will bring tears to your eyes, housing is fairly affordable - and if you're LDS, you can't walk 5,000 feet in any direction without hitting a church! There's a row of 6 houses on our block, from one corner of the road to the next. As the ground has thawed and fences are going up, we've actually found ourselves a little sad. We were all so connected, and it made bbq's a breeze. If I can help you in any way with questions, PM me

Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 AM

617 posts, read 2,814,381 times
I have spent a lot of time in Eagle Mountain, and Saratoga Springs. Traffic to and from the I-15 in the mornings, and evenings, can be a nightmare in those areas. There is also a Walmart not too far. There is Hollywood Video, and Kohlers (grocery store), McDonalds, and I think Albertson's, in Lehi, about 7 minutes up the road from Eagle Mountain.

I don't know where your husband's job is going to be located, but if it happens to be Salt Lake... well, I like Salt Lake county much better than Utah county, I have experience in both. I would check out Sandy, Draper, Murray areas.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:31 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,227,328 times
It's official...we have settled into Saratoga Springs. We bought a home right down here by the lake, and I am finally starting to get used to living in Utah. The views out here are amazing, and and the traffic does suck, espically main st in Lehi, but I've found some back roads and that helps. Had I'd known before what I know now, I would not have bought out here in Utah county. It feels too much like a police state, very opressive. I have no intentions on moving out right now though. We planned this move to only be for 5 years, and I'm trying to stick it out. My neighborhood is very nice, except for all the children playing in the road. I creep down my street at 5 mph each night, because they don't even move out of the way, and some of them are too little to be outside without an adult anyways. They're like deer. They just stand there. (Where are the parents???) OK...so that's my pet peeve for the day. Utah isn't as bad as all the stories I heard before moving here, but I wouldn't recommend Utah county to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: