Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:29 AM

132 posts, read 687,652 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just got a PM asking how I like it after all this time and if things are ok being non-LDS here. That's a great question, and the one I know so many want answered BEFORE they move here. I'll try to touch on most of the topics

So, it reminded me that it's a great time for me to give my update. I remember how it was before moving here - all the questions and where to live, and all. And now I'm on the other side and have lived here for almost 1/2 a year. WOW!! Where did the time go?

Well, I can tell you that we absolutely love it here and are all fitting in great!! Some told me being a home school family would actually be a great benefit with moving here, and I'm sure it has. BTW, the 1st week in our new home, our kiddies went walking the neighborhood and to the nearby park to make new friends. They made friends w/another Christian family right away, so that was awesome.

I see one of the biggest questions most have is - will they fit in w/LDS when they know they're never changing to LDS. So, I'll touch on that. I think many LDSers here as well as non-LDSers have given a pretty accurate picture. (Except for those threads people post to scare you off from Utah. ) One of our new sets of Christian friends we met thru our kids are former LDS. We've met several couples already that have left permanently and know of many others. So, it's really a big mix here, not some scary state to live in or anything. There's LDS, non-LDS, and former LDS here. And they've all been nice here. So, it's A LOT bigger mix than people think. BTW, other states have similar situations. We lived in the biggest Amish area and they keep to themselves, and didn't mingle with us. German Baptist (which dress & live similar to Amish, except much more liberal w/society interaction) was big there, too. They would chat w/us, but tended to stay among themselves more. So, I'm used to that anyway.

LDS on here said Kaysville, Layton, Clearfield, or Syracuse, etc... would be a great place to live for diversity, for the affordability we'd fit in more and for the location we needed w/hubby's job. Thanks for that GREAT ADVICE!! Ok, here's what most want to know... We don't feel any of that fear or outcast/shunning many talk about on here. I don't know if that's cuz of the city we live in, or cuz we believe in thinking positive and finding the best in things, and praying about our choices, but that's our experience. We've only had one family that brought the LDS cookies. We gave them some homemade cookies later in our way of saying - we want to be good neighbors. We rarely see them around. That's the only neighborhood LDS thing we experienced. And we've had NO LDS missionaries here either. I know everyone wants to know how that will be before moving here. I think many are right, every street in any given neighborhood can be totally different. And when out shopping, etc. LDS treat you like anyone else. They've been nice to us, like everyone else has, too.

On family life, that's my favorite part! I can't thank the Lord enough for how great all that's been going. I signed my kids up for activities right from the start, so I know the 'jumping' right in helped a lot. They've had swimming classes in a couple different cities. My son had Cub Scouts and Jr. Golf lessons. And my daughter had volleyball and tennis lessons. And I've found many online home school groups, so that's been neat, too. But best of all was the Lord leading us to a non-denominational Bible church that is so sound doctrinal that it's awesome. What a great blessing that's been for our family! PTL! \/

I don't want summer to end yet, cuz we're having so much fun, but I am looking forward to our kids being in AWANA Bible clubs at church when the school year starts, too. I've got pages of future field trips we're going to do. There's seriously an infinite amoung of things to do and beautiful and fun places to see. And we're always finding more.

Views: Just stepping out my door in the morning and seeing the awesome massive wall of mountains is always just as breathtaking. Just can't get tired of that! It's really pretty when you're driving up on the hill on Highway 193 by the base and you can see this beautiful view of the valley south and west, and the mountains surrounding SLC even.

On that note, we've driven to many cities in the area, and my hubby has taken us on the farther drives just checking out what other counties look like. North Ogden and nearby cities up north are SO BEAUTIFUL and are doing a lot of house building right now. We've driven to Box Elder and it's really pretty and starting to build up much more. More open areas up there. I have no idea on diversity tho', but it seems diversity is spreading about everywhere. There are TONS of out-of-staters moving in to Utah right now! Here they quickly build whole new subdivisions, and many going in at the same time. And they're always adding new parks, etc. BTW, we've met people who love Syracuse & Roy, UT, too. So there are really a lot of choices for where you want to live if you need the Davis or Weber Cty area. Everybody has their own preferences.

There's LOTS of stores, restaurants, entertainment, churches. LDS buildings at about every subdivision, and many other types of religions as well. Whatever store or activity you need, there's probably many of them and you just have to decide which one you want to go to of the choices galore. There's even health food grocery stores here.

Well, overall it's very family-oriented here and I can't imagine ever having to leave. We're so excited cuz we have our 1st family coming to visit. And they're so excited cuz they finally have a GREAT state to visit, with endless things to do.

Ok, can you tell we love it here or what? I wish the best for all those who are also soon moving to Utah. As our pastor said best, it's not a desert in the wilderness here. It's a great state to live in w/an infinite amount of things to do. And there are good churches to choose from. It is much more conservative here, but we love that!

I've seen posts talking about the style of dress here. So, here's that, too:
It's so nice to have much more conservative style of dress for kids growing up. Yeah! Ladies, CAPRIS are the rave here. I fit in great with that! Men & boys tend to wear the long shorts to about knee length and either polo type shirts or t-shirts. Girls mostly wear short-sleeve shirts and capris or longer shorts. One piece bathing suits for girls & women is the most common. They have a great moral dress code here. So, it's actually relieving to see modesty here. What a great blessing! I hope it stays that way. They're not into tank tops, but it's ok if you wear them. For getting too much sun, it's actually probably better to have at least a little sleeve anyway. Short shorts are out. BTW, remember that you tan extra fast here being at much higher altitude, so keep lots of sun tan lotion around and SPF50 for water sports.

Weather: Awesome!! This is so much better than where we lived. In the Spring to most of summer the forecast is mostly always - 10 days of sunny and low humidity. Talk about way easier to plan things. It's RARE something would get rained out. And even when it might show T-Storms it's rare for us to actually get them. And there usually super fast if they come by. The higher the temp, the lower the humidity. It was in the 100's area for some time there (10-15 degrees above normal) and the humidity ave. was about 10-15%. But if it's like 90 or less, the humidity might go up to 30-40%, etc. Overall the best way to explain our weather in Northern Utah: desert Spring & Summer weather(rare rain), and mountain Winters (with tons of snow). So, a great combination. Just plan on being great at water conservation. Please! Everyone that cares about that will help everyone else who lives here.

Well, that's plenty long enough, but trying to touch on all the questions that MOST have before moving here. Sure hope this helped many of you out. There's lots of threads on the southern areas where MANY move to - Salt Lake County and surrounding areas down there. And that's even more diverse from what people are saying. More expensive, but lots to do. And for those who home school, they have so many great activities down there w/local home school groups. And many church choices, too!

Well, catch ya around and best wishes to ya. Man, I really could be a tourist rep. for Utah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 AM

378 posts, read 1,906,122 times
Very comprehensive review! I'm so happy to hear your family is enjoying Utah! Please keep us updated!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
I'm glad you like it! I'm also non-LDS and have enjoyed living in Utah due to the conservative/family atmosphere that we have here. We have never had a problem with the LDS people either. They have always been friendly. My kids were great friends with some LDS kids across the street. There was never an issue regarding religion. They knew that we go to a non-denominational Christian church, and we knew they were LDS and neither of us tried to change the other. I've lived here for 14 years now and have never had a problem.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:56 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
I never got to answer yesterday, but thanks for the update. I think you have shown attitude is everything when moving to any new place.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 17,507 times
We have been doing some research on Utah and when I was reading your letter I got lost...why do you home school? Is it hard on the kids?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 103,683 times
Default Cost of Living in Kanab

The info you all have provided is great but no one has mentioned the cost of living. What are 3 bdrm/2 bath/2 car garage houses going for? What is the cost of gas per gallon?

I'll be on retired military pay hoping to get a paying job at Best Friends but don't know how the cost of living comapres with here in San Antonio, Texas.

Is it normal for the houses to have basements?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,232 times
Gas is very expensive here compared to other states. Its 3.85 and some are still at 4. We pay for rent for a townhouse 1450 which is not worth it since these are shotty craftmanship.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:07 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Gas is very expensive here compared to other states. Its 3.85 and some are still at 4. We pay for rent for a townhouse 1450 which is not worth it since these are shotty craftmanship.
Now that is very true on Gas. Tulsa, OK is actually the lowest...or it was a week ago at 3.29, noticed it went up to 3.39 probably for holiday. But I heard Utah was second highest on the news.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:48 PM

43 posts, read 133,281 times
I have been here 10 months...

My two cents, for what it is worth..

We live in Syracuse. We like the town, it's cute. Good commute for my husband to Hill AFB. I work in SLC, so long commute for me, but we knew that when I took the job.

LOVE the skiing and hiking. Also the climate is nice - never humid, not alot of rain, that is nice.

However, we don't love it here. Our neighborhood is mostly LDS and we are most certainly the outsiders. People are pleasant, but not overly friendly. It's been hard to find friends here that have similar interests.

We greatly dislike the alcohol restrictions. We miss our California wine clubs (won't ship wine here). And going out for a good beer on tap (no "strong" beer on tap, sad).

Also the lack of culture up here in Davis county. Dining options are fast food, Chili's and Applebees. Not my idea of a nice dinner out.

All and all, it could always be worse. It's taken along time to feel optimistic but I think its' getting better.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
It took me a good couple of years before I got over the shock and began to like it here.

I will say that I think Davis County is a hard place to live if you are not LDS. That is a personal observation, of course. I am sure that some do and are very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: