Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
According to the police you have a 10 mph "grace period", not 5. But way to miss the point anyway. Whether or not I speed or ever get a ticket, I find seeing an excessive amount of speed traps all over the place annoying... especially where pulling someone over in that spot creates a worse hazard than the speeder was causing.
Got a link to support the 10 mph grace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
According to the police you have a 10 mph "grace period", not 5. But way to miss the point anyway. Whether or not I speed or ever get a ticket, I find seeing an excessive amount of speed traps all over the place annoying... especially where pulling someone over in that spot creates a worse hazard than the speeder was causing.
Fail to see the point? Okay, let's reason it out a bit farther, then: You say a hazard is created by people being pulled over. Would anyone be pulled over in a "speed trap" if they were within the 10 mph "grace period"? Ah-ha! Beginning to see the logic now? No one would be pulled over if there was no reason to pull them over.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM

498 posts, read 1,456,053 times
Quote:
The point is, many people don't realize this and think it's just a regular ticket like any other moving violation.
Which is the problem, and is what you are defending. Drinking and driving is a perfect example of a crime whose maximum penalty is what is publicly emphasized, which is the way it should be. Nobody parades around saying "don't worry guys, it's only a felony if you kill someone." There's no point in doing that.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 AM

515 posts, read 2,324,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Got a link to support the 10 mph grace?
Did I say it was documented anywhere? No. Two different police officers have specifically told me that this is the case including one who had pulled me over for going 12 mph over the limit and told me 10 or less and he would not have. The second one was teaching traffic school, which I attended after getting that ticket, and that officer told a room full of 60+ people that he and most officers will never pull anyone over for going less than 10 mph over the limit. I suppose there could be officers who don't abide by that, but they would seemingly be in the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Fail to see the point? Okay, let's reason it out a bit farther, then: You say a hazard is created by people being pulled over. Would anyone be pulled over in a "speed trap" if they were within the 10 mph "grace period"? Ah-ha! Beginning to see the logic now? No one would be pulled over if there was no reason to pull them over.
OK, let me be more specific. Driving north on 1300 E right where it approaches I-80 is a dangerous place to pull someone over. There is no shoulder and it interferes with people trying to merge onto 80, both eastbound and westbound. I witnessed a near accident as this car tried to figure out where he should pull over without killing himself or someone else. It is a very congested area once you cross over 80 (not where he was speeding) and it was a mess. Much more so than someone driving on a straight 6 lane dry road going 53 mph. I'm sure you'll argue and say that him speeding was just as bad or worse, but that just isn't the case. I drive there every day and have witnessed this fiasco more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Which is the problem, and is what you are defending. Drinking and driving is a perfect example of a crime whose maximum penalty is what is publicly emphasized, which is the way it should be. Nobody parades around saying "don't worry guys, it's only a felony if you kill someone." There's no point in doing that.
I wasn't defending it, just saying that texting while driving is a misdemeanor not a felony. Just to be clear, once again, I think it is a stupid and dangerous thing to do, and I think it should be more serious than a regular ticket. Not really sure how to say it any more clearly.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
OK, let me be more specific. Driving north on 1300 E right where it approaches I-80 is a dangerous place to pull someone over. There is no shoulder and it interferes with people trying to merge onto 80, both eastbound and westbound. I witnessed a near accident as this car tried to figure out where he should pull over without killing himself or someone else. It is a very congested area once you cross over 80 (not where he was speeding) and it was a mess. Much more so than someone driving on a straight 6 lane dry road going 53 mph. I'm sure you'll argue and say that him speeding was just as bad or worse, but that just isn't the case. I drive there every day and have witnessed this fiasco more than once.
No, I won't. I wasn't there. What I will say is that engaging in whatever illegal activity, knowing that he had a good chance of being pulled over for whatever infraction, thus endangering everyone, was showing a complete lack of courtesy and respect for others.

But, when it comes right down to it, there really isn't any need for speeding and/or breaking driving safety rules other than for self-gratification and selfishness, is there?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 PM

29 posts, read 83,976 times
I just have to say this.

The drivers that the original poster made mention of are more than likely transplants from

Kalifornia. IMHO

Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Lets go back to the original post.

Quote:
I'm in the middle of Moderator cut: rude , someone has their blinker on and NO ONE will let him in! I see this time and time again. I'm so sick of inconsiderate drivers who clearly see someone that has their blinker on to change lanes and they speed up on purpose to block the person out. What is with that!!
Who is rude. Someone that does not anticipate changing lanes and find a safe place to do it, and thinks they can just flash their flashers and expect people to let them cut in. When you watch what this driver as soon as they do it, then switch back, trying to save a few minutes of driving time, who wants to help them.

I have never found a time by anticipating a needed lane change you cannot find a safe place to change lanes instead of trying to push your way into the other lane.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
Default Think widely.

"they speed up on purpose to block the person out"
I don't think so that most of the drivers do that. Yes, there might be drivers who do this intentionally but they are very few in number and this is a common scenario all over the world. There is Good as well as Bad. So, don't just get irritated with the Bad ones, rather try to find Good ones.
Though, yes, the DUI should be implemented strictly to make the best environment for all.

[Mod] no ads allowed, no manual signatures[/mod]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-26-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
Rude? Not really, Braindead...oh yeah. I used to cover 17 States by car for my work. That's Ohio to the West Coast. NOWHERE and I do mean NOWHERE have I encountered this level of drivers who utterly lack the basic understanding of how to best command a motor vehicle. When the weather is bad they just soldier on as if nothing has changed. They will tailgate at 80mph because they have some divine overseer that will protect them from a crash (obviously that doesn't work if you ever listen to the news traffic reports every morning and night). They are too busy yelling at their brood of (pick a number) brats in their MAV (just a little humor here folks that stands for Mormon Assault Vehicle) or better known as big a$$ SUV or Minivan. Or worse yet they are texting and driving. The blow through yellow and red lights as a matter of course. Do triple lane changes to off ramps on I-15(one of my favorites to see and fairly unique across country). You can be driving 10 over but it won't matter, they still prefer to be able to be close enough to your rear to view the details of your front dashboard. And then there are those on a highway with extra lanes that like to sit there at exactly the speed limit or less deliberately running speed limit enforcement in the LEFT lane. Now THAT one will make you crazy. Even I'll just get over and sit in the right lane doing as I should allowing the gas guzzling to proceed by me (I'm a bit smug about that now I have a hybrid). Na don't even try to defend the drivers here. They are indefensible....sorry.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,274 times
There have been many studies done on this subject, using all kinds of different input, and Utah usually lands some where in the mid to high 20s. It is usually the inpatient driver, that is always complaining about the other persons driving skills.

Having driven all over the country I find Utahns to be safe drivers.

1. (WORST) New York - 70.0
2. New Jersey - 70.5
3. Dist. of Columbia - 71.9
4. California - 73.3
5. Rhode Island - 73.8
6. Louisiana - 74.1
7. West Virginia - 74.8
7. Hawaii - 74.8
9. New Hampshire - 74.9
9. Kentucky - 74.9
11. Florida - 75.2
12. Mississippi - 75.6
13. Pennsylvania - 75.8
13. Massachusetts - 75.8
15. North Carolina - 75.9
15. Arkansas - 75.9
17. Texas - 76.0
18. Connecticut - 76.3
19. Illinois - 76.6
20. Georgia - 76.7
21. Alabama - 77.1
22. South Carolina - 77.2
23. New Mexico - 77.3
24. Virginia - 77.5
24. Ohio - 77.5
26. Maine - 77.6
26. Delaware - 77.6
28. Colorado - 77.8
29. Utah- 77.9
30. Vermont - 78.1
30. Nevada - 78.1
32. Maryland - 78.2
33. Tennessee - 78.3
34. Wyoming - 78.4
35. Arizona - 78.5
36. Missouri - 78.8
37. Michigan - 79.0
38. North Dakota - 79.1
39. Oklahoma - 79.3
40. Wisconsin - 79.4
40. Washington - 79.4
42. Alaska - 79.8
43. Montana - 80.0
44. Idaho - 80.1
45. Indiana - 80.4
46. Nebraska - 80.5
47. Iowa - 80.8
48. Minnesota - 81.1
49. South Dakota - 81.2
50. Oregon - 82.1
51. (BEST) Kansas 82.3
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Salt Lake City does not make it into the top 20 of cities either.

Washington, DC: 112.1% greater-than-average accident frequency
Baltimore, MD: 87.9%
Providence, RI: 80.9%
Hialeah, FL: 77.6%
Glendale, CA: 77.5%
Philadelphia, PA: 64.1%
Alexandria, VA: 62.6%
Newark, NJ: 59.4%
Miami, FL: 58.4%
San Francisco, CA: 54.6%
Jersey City, NJ: 53.9%
Arlington, VA: 53.0%
Tampa, FL: 50.2%
Los Angeles, CA: 48.5%
Paterson, NJ: 46.9%
Fullerton, CA: 42.7%
Garland, TX: 41.6%
Elizabeth, NJ: 41.5%
Bridgeport, CT: 41.2%
New York, NY: 41.1%
New Haven, CT: 37.5%
Torrance, CA: 36.7%
Norfolk, VA: 36.3%
Yonkers, NY: 36.2%
Arlington TX: 35.4%

Last edited by Castnshoot; 08-28-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah