Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 PM

75 posts, read 319,496 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I just got a job offer in Portland for $15/hr. I would like to take it, as I make a little less than that now and the rent is more expensive where I live now. (average rent in my area now for a one bedroom is $1200/month to $1500/month and I make $14.50/hr) My husband currently doesnt work because he hasnt been able to find a job with the bad economy.

I plan on just getting a one bedroom apartment, renting. I have been looking at apartments in Beaverton OR, Hillsboro OR, and Vancouver WA. Although my job will be in Portland I dont want to live in the big city. I like a more family-feel nature/country vibe place to live. More of a suburb or rural than urban. But at the same time I dont want to live more than 20 minutes away from downtown portland. I know there is a lot of great things about Portland, but I just prefer to live outside the city.

I would really love some advice on which would be the best place to rent an apartment and still be close to my job: Hillsboro, Beaverton, or Vancouver. Apartments I looked at in those areas for a 1 bedroom were from $700/month to about $1000/month, with Beaverton being the most expensive. I thought Vancouver might be the best just because there is no income tax in WA and I can shop in OR tax free. Someone previously tried to tell me that it's illegal but the OR vistor's website openly welcomes it. Maybe residents can give me some info about these 3 cities and which might be the best, safest, and most affordable option. Lastly, where would my husband most likely find work? He is open to taking any jobs available.

Any input would be greatly apprecaited....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 194,887 times
Already replied in the Portland forum, but wanted to point out one more thing. Vancouver is highly developed. Not somewhere you would want to live if nature is important to you. Gresham is notorious for crime. Hillsboro/Beaverton probably offers the best balance of suburbia/affordability.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you! Hillsboro seems cheaper than Beaverton. Im thinking maybe because it's farther from the city?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
I thought Vancouver might be the best just because there is no income tax in WA and I can shop in OR tax free. Someone previously tried to tell me that it's illegal but the OR vistor's website openly welcomes it. Maybe residents can give me some info about these 3 cities and which might be the best, safest, and most affordable option. Lastly, where would my husband most likely find work? He is open to taking any jobs available.

Any input would be greatly apprecaited....
Vancouver *could* work. Beaverton is just as developed as Vancouver. They're both suburbia.

However, even if you live in Vancouver, you're still paying income tax (though not as much as if you were OR resident). As an OR resident, you could come up here and buy things w/o sales tax (though, it might be a hassle to do so).

Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Where is your job in Portland? (That makes a big difference in choosing where to live / commute.)

How likely is it that you will keep this particular job?

What skill set / interest does DH have?

Where are you coming FROM - so we have an idea of your current expenses?

What is your budget? House, duplex, or apartment?

Best case would be to live AND work in WA (both of you)

For a nicer / community feel in 'close-by' Portland
20 minutes from DOWNTOWN, basically means you need an 'inner city' neighborhood. (If normal commute hours) If evenings, you can go much farther out, and even to Vancouver (near a Bridge).
I personally would not do Beaverton OR Hillsboro if suburbia is not your thing. EXCEPTION would be right near Alpenrose Dairy. And Hillsdale area of SE.

These are closer to 30-45 minutes from DOWNTOWN (commute times), but for $15 / hr work, I would look for jobs in these communities.
Eastside-
I would look to Corbett,Sandy, Boring, Damascus, Happy Valley

Southside I prefer Aurora

West / SW I would look to Newberg, Forest Grove

Vancouver, - Camas is quite close and convenient to Portland access.
Washougal would have slightly lower rents (if scenic / gorge entertainment / recreation is your draw)

Minnehaha / Glenwood (neighborhoods) / Ridgefield if gardening is your thing

(BTW: I do not post in OR forum, as there are some dangerous repercussions for disagreeing)

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

The job offer is in downtown Portland. I dont know if it will work out long term until I start I guess. Its a little more $ than I make now. I'm open to other jobs though if I found something better. I'm looking for office work or retail management (I have a lot of experience in both). Im coming from a CA suburb area (really safe family area) and would like to stay in a safe area. I would like to find an apartment around $750/month for a 1 bedroom. $1000/month is the highest I could pay.

This is a random question but do the jobs in your area usually require a math test?? Here in CA jobs in the last year or two all require math testing prior to an interview. I'm a pretty smart person but I havent used fractions since high school. Is it like that in WA too?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM

People have said Vancouver WA will be a hard commute to Portland (but it looks so close on the map), Im guessing due to traffic?

How do rents compare between Beaverton OR and Vancouver WA? Does anyone know. I want to get the most bang for my buck, while still being in a safe family friendly area of course. Is one place more safe than the other? Or about the same?

Someone told me that Vancouver/Portland gets a lot of acid rain. Is this true? I have not experienced this before. Is it dangerous??

Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
The commute is difficult because there are only two bridges across the river. Bottleneck city.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
People have said Vancouver WA will be a hard commute to Portland (but it looks so close on the map), Im guessing due to traffic?
I you choose East Vancouver or Camas, then take the C-Tran express (Bus) from Fisher Landing Trans center to Downtown and do something productive on the trip

How do rents compare between Beaverton OR and Vancouver WA? Does anyone know. I want to get the most bang for my buck, while still being in a safe family friendly area of course. Is one place more safe than the other? Or about the same? most of each are safe, Beaverton is more crowded, suburban, expensive. But if lap swimming is important, then Beaverton by all means.

Someone told me that Vancouver/Portland gets a lot of acid rain. Is this true? I have not experienced this before. Is it dangerous?? It is most dangerous to the paint on your car (mine are over 30 yrs old, dull finish, but not dead yet) and the concrete finish of your driveway (as a renter you are safe with concrete repairs)
Come check it out and get a feel for each city

Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 194,887 times
Quote:
How do rents compare between Beaverton OR and Vancouver WA? Does anyone know. I want to get the most bang for my buck, while still being in a safe family friendly area of course.
Check the rental listings on portland.craigslist.org - you'll see that the prices are about the same and that Beaverton has more rental units, despite being one-third the size of Vancouver.

Quote:
Someone told me that Vancouver/Portland gets a lot of acid rain. Is this true? I have not experienced this before. Is it dangerous??
I've never heard that. For what it's worth, Wikipedia has this to say: "Places with significant impact by acid rain around the globe include most of eastern Europe from Poland northward into Scandinavia, the eastern third of the United States, and southeastern Canada."

Most of our rain comes in fresh off the ocean and happens often enough to prevent particulate matter from building up in the air over time. Coal power is one of the largest causes and the west coast uses very little coal.

Quote:
This is a random question but do the jobs in your area usually require a math test??
I've only ever run in to this when applying at temp companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area