Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I bought this at Target for 100 bucks. ... It works great and cheap enough that if you stop juicing you won't feel guilty never using it again
But annaegal said she wants to juice leafy greens, and that type juicer is really no good for leafy greens. I know, because i have the Breville juicer this one is a knockoff of.

Here's the one I recommend for leafy greens... the Omega single auger 8000 series... $300 in chrome, $260 in white seems to be standard pricing. Occasionally you can find a 10% off sale.

ALL NEW Omega 8006 Nutrition Center Juicer- Excellent for juicing leafy greens and wheatgrass

BTW, stay away from the advertised internet special of the J8006 for $179.95, it's a scam offer... it's only the motor base, not a complete juicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Re: Forks Over Knives & vegan diet: what is the rationale for abstaining from FISH? Can someone explain? Especially when I take Fish Oil supplements. I thought fish was supposed to be good for a person.

I don't eat any other kind of meat now and feel mucho better.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Re: Forks Over Knives & vegan diet: what is the rationale for abstaining from FISH? Can someone explain? Especially when I take Fish Oil supplements. I thought fish was supposed to be good for a person.

The Forks Over Knives answer:
"[Fish have] a high quantity of pollutants including DDT, dioxin, PCB’s, mercury, and other similar toxins."

The ethical vegan answer:
"fish are sentient beings with the ability to suffer and I choose to not make them suffer"

RE: supplements
"Flaxseed oil pills, taken at the right dose, may equal fish oil pills in terms of their net effect from certain heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids." (Source: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)

Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
The whole Fork's Over Knives Diet advocates a very low fat diet (but with fruits/vegetabls/grains providing enough fat for health) - no added oils, no butter, olive oil, etc. The diet is designed to not only give you greater overhall health and a leaner body but also reduce greatly the instance of heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cancer, etc. Some fish is quite fatty and high in cholesterol - shrimp, salmon, etc. and since the diet is a "no animal products diet", fish is excluded as part of the eating plan.

My husband and I have adopted this diet (no animal products, no added oils, lots and lots of leafy greens, fruits and vegetables (10 to 12 servings per day)...we eat 2 searvings of fruit per day also. We take vitamins - especially those vitamins recommended for those eating no animal products (Omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D, etc.).

My husband has a carotid artery problem, although he has always exercised every day and his overall cholesterol was 165 prior to our new eating plan, his LDL level was not great - thus the carotid artery issue. His doctor has been telling him for the last 2 years to modify his diet, reduce his cholesterol intake....his cardiologist told him quite plainly "stop eating meat" and to develop a vegetarian or vegan diet." My husband chose not to do this and his carotid artery issue is worse this year - not life threatening or anything yet, but it is of concern to us both.

So now we have completely changed the way we eat including no artificial sugars, no desserts with sugar, no animal products, lots of veggies, some fruit, little or no bread, small amount of grains each day, lots of beans and legumes, a few nus and seeds, etc.

Hubby's latest bloodwork results (this week) after a little less than one month on the Fork's Over Knives diet (he also started taking red rice yeast which is supposed to be very good for lowering cholesterol): Total cholesterol is now 108 - with very low perfect LDL and perfect HDL levels - his doctor was extremely pleased. My husband also has diabetes and his blood work came back with the "at risk for diabetes" indicator rather than "diabetic." His doctor feels that he will be able to stop taking one of his diabetes meds within the next month and be entirely off of medicaton within a short time (as long as he continues on with his current diet). He has also lost 15 lbs. - he is losing 3/4 to 1 lb. every couble of days. He is looking and feeling great as am I. He looked great before (he is a tall 6'7", big boned, slender man) but he had a bit of a pot, as older men tend to have (he is 66)...but his stomach is almost completely flat now.

I spend a lot of time at the farm stand and grocery store vegetable aisle and lots more time prepping in the kitchen but the results of this diet has amazed both of us and I am happy to do this for my husband's health and longevity. I have lost a total of 9 lbs. myself.

We are very pleased with the Fork's Over Knives diet and highly recommend it.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-11-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Well gee, I wonder. Perhaps Vegan/Vegetarianism? The "documentary" wasn't a serious appraisal of what constitutes good health.
Lol...follow the money.
Big pharma and big agro has a lot invested in your consuming all the garbage they put out.
What does a vegetarian get from getting you to go veggie?
A free toaster?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Latest study demonstrates omegas not beneficial or heart protective.
So you can drop the fish.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...follow the money.
Big pharma and big agro has a lot invested in your consuming all the garbage they put out.
What does a vegetarian get from getting you to go veggie?
A free toaster?
There are a number of commercial aspects of veg*n, but as for individuals....well they get someone psychological out of it. Regardless, it was an agenda driven documentary and the only actual scientist that is on it has been out of the loop for years and one would derive far more value from reading his book than watching the documentary...

Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
There are a number of commercial aspects of veg*n, but as for individuals....well they get someone psychological out of it. Regardless, it was an agenda driven documentary and the only actual scientist that is on it has been out of the loop for years and one would derive far more value from reading his book than watching the documentary...
But it works - that is all I need to know. You can give your opinion and dream up all the negative things to say as you always do, but I (we) have proof that the diet works as far as lowering LDL cholesterol, lowering blood sugar in diabetics and lowering blood pressure. So go on blah, blah, blah whatever.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Dude. It has been long established that Asians that come to the US who adopt a western diet drop like flies relative to those who don't.
Are you seriously going to put your head in the sand while the country keeps getting fatter and sicker and our health care spending spirals out of control over totally preventable diseases?!

I say this irrespective of this movie.
Most of the time, diabetes and hypertension are totally self-inflicted diseases. And they are the springboard to huge morbidity and mortality.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
But it works - that is all I need to know. You can give your opinion and dream up all the negative things to say as you always do, but I (we) have proof that the diet works as far as lowering LDL cholesterol, lowering blood sugar in diabetics and lowering blood pressure.
I didn't say anything about whether or not a plant-based diet would lower your LDL, etc. I said the documentary is agenda based...I'm talking about the documentary itself.

Aren't you taking fish oil? That isn't part of their diet....in fact they will say the same things I said to you in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food