Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 PM

105 posts, read 573,680 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but in looking at all the forums, I'm not seeing another, more suitable place.

As a vegan and AR person, I'm wondering how people feel (who are also vegan/AR) regarding fake fur. I have two beautiful, new, OBVIOUSLY fake fur coats, which I really haven't had occasion to wear yet. I would never, ever buy real fur but my thinking, when I bought them, was remembering very old ads (sponsored by Mary Tyler Moore and others) which suggested that wealthy people who buy furs should be encourged to buy fake furs.

I'm not wealthy, but I can afford nice coats. These are obviously polyester coats, and look nothing like real fur, and yet they are beautiful, warm and soft.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is on this issue, in the Vegan/AR community?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
I can only speak for myself, naturally, but as long as the "fur" is really fake, I think it's fine. However, some sites report that fake fur is sometimes real, so just use caution when shopping.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Obvious fake fur is fine. I have a pale pink fake fur coat, and it keeps me warmer than any other coat I own. I wish the fake fur companies would attach a tag, or label, maybe a hologram that everyone can see clearly. I know that the fiberfill coats are warm, and all, but they aren't attractive for certain events. We make fake stuffed animals, and fake fuzzy boots, and fake fuzzy headwear, so why not coats ?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I think it's fine, but I agree with Dark, I have touches some and it feels a bit too real to me. I've also heard stories.

If you like the look and you know for sure that it's faux - enjoy yourself!
I'm sitting on a pleather love seat in my family room as I type this. :-)

Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I think there is a place for fake fur. It is it's own look.
I have nothing against fur coats, except I cannot tolerate cruelty in the harvesting of it. I have always thought it was odd that environmentalists are so anti fur when it is really taking something that dies, and using part of it, rather than conjuring up an immitation out of chemicals.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I don't see anything wrong with fake fur, I have a beautiful faux leather coat, with faux fur on the collar, it is very warm, and I think it looks great.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
As long as it looks fake, I think it is fine. I wouldn't wear a realistic looking fake fur because I wouldn't want to be mistaken for one of those people that real wear fur, EVER.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
As long as it looks fake, I think it is fine. I wouldn't wear a realistic looking fake fur because I wouldn't want to be mistaken for one of those people that real wear fur, EVER.

Agree with ya 100%!
I think it's ok/fine because, if people don't have to wonder if it is fake... fake= no harm to animals, but neither real or fake fur is for me. I am not interested in wearing something that resembles animal fur and their skin. Don't want it to look like a cute furry animal on my body, that died a horrible death. If people think it is real, then they might think it is ok... and it is not ok to support such torture.

When I was a kid, young, I guess about 6 or 7, I recall having a rabbit fur jacket, from my grandma, she gave one to both my sister and me. I thought about it to some degree, but not much, and it wasn't until later that I put it all together and allowed myself to realize the truth, wearing part of an animal (many of them) that had to die, and knowing that it was many bunnies that died for one coat... ugh. It was so soft, like bunnies fur... (duh!) I felt so bad then and was so mad,... why did she buy this and make all the bunnies die...

Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
could I ask, what does fake or even real fur have to do with Vegetarian recipes? Am I missing something here?

NIta

Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
could I ask, what does fake or even real fur have to do with Vegetarian recipes? Am I missing something here?

NIta
Nothing. But this isn't a thread on vegetarian recipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food